What's new

Help

Different things work for different people, but I agree with SmurfK about N/S and WTG. Especially while you are developing your technique and getting a feel for blade angle and pressure, you are better off with N/S or S/N as a first pass direction even though it is not perfectly with the grain.

However, for each section of your face, you need to determine if N/S or S/N is more with the grain. In other words, for me, N/S is more with the grain in some areas, but S/N is more with the grain in others. So my first pass in N/S in some places and S/N in others. Stay with multiple "roughly" WTG (N/S and S/N) passes until your irritation problems pass. My experience is that irritation is often from trying to accomplish too much in any pass. The name of the game is beard reduction, and you may be better off with two passes with the same pattern keeping the blade angle as mild as possible.

As far as your prep goes, what you describe sound pretty thorough, but i think it is also important to give the lather a minute or two on your face before you begin that first pass. I think it is possible to over do the hot water prep bringing too much blood to the surface of the skin. I used to do the hot wash cloth thing, but eventually retreated to just wetting my face and neck really well while filling the sink. I face lather and leave the lather on my face while I do other things before beginning the first pass. I am assuming you are getting lather that feel slippery between your fingers and is giving you decent lubrication. I use an alum stick after the cold water rinse. It has a healing effect; it stings where you create irritation, but this is also a good indicator for working on technique. I let the alum sit for a minute or two while I am cleaning up and then rinse it when I feel it beginning to dry. Then I dry my face and apply after shave.

Recommendations for soaps are good--Proraso Green soft soap or cream (cream also branded as Bigelow), Cella (a soft soap not a cream), Speick (available as both a cream and shave stick) all provide good hydration, cushion and lubrication. I think the creams are marginally easier to lather, but depending on your water all should be easier than what you are using now.

For after shave I find the Proraso Green after shave and the Speick are neither too perfumy nor too old mannish, but tastes vary (and sadly I must admit that by your standards I am an old man). Neither one is very strong or lingering. I find the Proraso a bit more soothing. I agree that Nivea is healing but a bit greasy. OTH, applying at night, there would be no residue in the morning.

Alan

Lots of good advice here. Particularly the practice thing.

As for aftershaves, if you think they all smell like "Old Man", you have obviously not tried very many modern ones from places like Maggards or Italian Barber or Phoenix. Most of these places sell samples, so look at some reviews and order some samples to see what you like. I've never had an AS splash feel greasy or oily on my face.

I would venture to ask if you're gaining anything by the second WTG pass. I find for myself at least that more passes equals more irritation. If I rinse the razor enough then first WTG pass does about all it can, there's no need to add more. It did take about four months practicing technique before that first pass was really good though. Your prep sounds pretty good overall!

Disclaimer: IMHO, YMMV, etc etc...

When I get a bad shave from things like trying new blades or razors that I am not familiar with I do a few things to help irritation.
1. Unscented witch hazel
2. Skip the alcohol based aftershave/ EDT
3. Use a balm or lotion a couple times a day, you may have to suck it up on not liking a greasy feeling face for a day or two. Most balms dry down well though, just takes an hour or so.
4. Use some small dabs of cortisone cream on the irritated areas, or a tiny bit of neosporine before bed. This will usually cure any irritation over night.
5. Only do 1 or 2 pass WTG passes until you are healed, remember no pressure, let the razor work.

Everything else is really already answered. Try some artisan aftershaves for some better scents.

Happy shaving!

I agree with the plain witch hazel after washing off with cold water at the end. I let the WH dry and then use my after shave balm (Proraso).

I aim for a comfortable shave, rather than a super close shave. Over time I'm working on the closeness while keeping the comfort.

Top Bottom