What's new

Crabcakes, Louisiana Style. YUM!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Crabmeat on sale for $9/lb so I made crabcakes.

$IMG_20131206_043733.jpg

$IMG_20131206_051010.jpg

2 lb crab claw meat
2/3 cup fine chopped onions
2/3 cup fine chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped jalapenos, seeds and cores removed
6 eggs or 4 XL or Jumbo eggs
1 cup more or less milk
1 pack stove top cornbread stuffing
2 packs Zatarain's or McCormick hush puppy mix
1-1/2 tbsp Slap Ya Mama or Tony's
Canola oil

Mix it all up, add a splash of beer if mix is too dry to stick together. Let it stand for a half hour. Heat the oil in a skillet. Make patties, slide them into the oil on a spatula. Brown. Turn. Brown. Bam. Done. Drain on paper towel. These were well received on pier 2.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Crabmeat on sale for $9/lb so I made crabcakes.

View attachment 674386

View attachment 674387

2 lb crab claw meat
2/3 cup fine chopped onions
2/3 cup fine chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped jalapenos, seeds and cores removed
6 eggs or 4 XL or Jumbo eggs
1 cup more or less milk
1 pack stove top cornbread stuffing
2 packs Zatarain's or McCormick hush puppy mix
1-1/2 tbsp Slap Ya Mama or Tony's
Canola oil

Mix it all up, add a splash of beer if mix is too dry to stick together. Let it stand for a half hour. Heat the oil in a skillet. Make patties, slide them into the oil on a spatula. Brown. Turn. Brown. Bam. Done. Drain on paper towel. These were well received on pier 2.
Slash:
Awww shucks...$Kicking the Can - 1.jpg...now you're should-da not don dat. :laugh:

And me...a lover of Crab Cakes (especially a recipe [a 'keeper'] from Louisiana)! :drool:

Q. What (if any), sauce did you make to accompany your Cakes
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Who doesn't love digging into a plate of crab cakes...". Tom Douglas

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Slash:
Awww shucks...View attachment 674397...now you're should-da not don dat. :laugh:

And me...a lover of Crab Cakes (especially a recipe [a 'keeper'] from Louisiana)! :drool:

Q. What (if any), sauce did you make to accompany your Cakes
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Who doesn't love digging into a plate of crab cakes...". Tom Douglas

Since mine tend to be a little bit on the spicy side, with a fair amount of heat, my usual crab cake sauce is Ketchup. It sorta cools the fire a bit. If they are not overcooked, mine are moist enough to not need much in the way of sauce. For those who really want an interesting sauce, try one part mustard to two parts ketchup with wasabi and Tabasco added to taste. Perks up bland food, for sure. My stuff usually does not suffer overly much from blandness.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh my, Slash...I haven't had crabcakes in ages. Those look great.

One of the times I was in N.O. we got out of town to see the surrounding area a bit, and stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall place about 10 minutes east of town. They served some of the best crabcakes I believe I've ever had.

Now I'm gonna have to see what kind of crab meat I can find around here.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Nothing like crab cakes cooked in a cast iron skillet!

marty

It's the only way.
Marty & Slash:
$+2.jpg...now that's 'old-school'! :w00t:

BTW, it brings back memories of my Mom (being originally from Baltimore) frying a mean crab cake (have to ask her for the recipe). :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
“Seven days without Crab Cakes make one weak”. CBJ[/FONT]

Last edited:
good looking crab cakes....my son and I are planning a day of crabbing soon...may have to try your recipe!!

You know.... that looks really good. I think I could even sell the wife on those. Probably go great with a Gewurtztraminer or a nice Reisling.

Don

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chef Robert:
proxy.php
...or even a Lemon-Dill Sauce! :thumbsup:[FONT=&amp][/FONT]
Bump:
Or a simple vinaigrette, (I like to incorporate mine in a in a blender [with the machine on low...gradually add the oil in a slow & steady stream, until the vinaigrette is thick and creamy. Serve at room temp.]). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&quot]“Always tell the truth about your [Crab Cake]. Then you don’t have to remember anything. Mark Twain[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&amp] [/FONT]

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My recipe is nearly identical except I use crumbled up Premium saltines instead of the stovetop stuffing and that Louisiana onion flavored hushpuppy mix.

When I cant get good crab, it also works fairly well with salmon.

Now I'm getting hungry!

Top Bottom