What's new

Am I ruining my unopened blades by keeping them in the bathroom?

Is it safe to store my blades in a bathroom closet or should I move them to another room where there's no moisture? My Voskhods are wrapped in cellophane but the Astras and some others are plastic free. Is the moisture in the bathroom (steam in particular) enough to degrade my unopened blades? Some people suggest it's not enough moisture to penetrate the packaging and affect the metal but I still worry about all those blades going bad. Am I being paranoid? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
IMO there is not enough moisture in the bathroom to cause any harm to your blades. And if you have enough moisture that it DOES cause harm to your blades, then I think the blades will be the least of your problems.

If it will give you peace of mind though why not move them? I used to keep my blades in the bathroom. Then I kept them in a dresser drawer. Then a bookcase. Now I keep them in a container in my TV stand.

You should store them where ever you feel most comfortable storing them.

IMO there is not enough moisture in the bathroom to cause any harm to your blades. And if you have enough moisture that it DOES cause harm to your blades, then I think the blades will be the least of your problems.

If it will give you peace of mind though why not move them? I used to keep my blades in the bathroom. Then I kept them in a dresser drawer. Then a bookcase. Now I keep them in a container in my TV stand.

You should store them where ever you feel most comfortable storing them.

Ya know... I know you're right but there's a tiny amount of vanity involved here. I like to open the closet and see all those neatly arranged 100 packs standing at attention. Maybe I'll shrink wrap them!

Ya know... I know you're right but there's a tiny amount of vanity involved here. I like to open the closet and see all those neatly arranged 100 packs standing at attention. Maybe I'll shrink wrap them!
Most of mine are shrink-wrapped at the factory. If I recall, the tucks in the boxes are shrink-wrapped as well. I've had those sleeves and boxes standing at attention for a year and a half now. The fogging-up does not seem to degrade the packaging, and I figure that would show damage long before the blades would.

I doubt this will make any difference. I have been keeping my blades in the bathroom for years with no apparent problems.

(It might make a difference with vintage blades that are not stainless.)

Most of mine are shrink-wrapped at the factory. If I recall, the tucks in the boxes are shrink-wrapped as well. I've had those sleeves and boxes standing at attention for a year and a half now. The fogging-up does not seem to degrade the packaging, and I figure that would show damage long before the blades would.

You make a good point. I suppose if the cardboard were taking on moisture, it would become evident. Thanks.

Let's face the fact that the most likely place for a package of blades to live is in a bathroom. They must be made or packaged to deal with this environment.

Yes, it's safe. It's very safe. It's so safe you wouldn't believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I store my unopened ones in a quiet corner of the living room, but there shouldn't be a problem storing them in the bathroom
I store my open tucks in a plastic box with a sachet of silica gel to protect them from the damp
I store my loose blades (rotation) in a retro tin with a few grains of dry rice to protect them from the damp

If in doubt about the damp - plastic containers, silica gel or dry rice are your best bet

I just moved to DE shaving after 30+ years of electrics and cartridge razors. Even though I have never sealed up my disposables and have had an open 10 pack for a couple years and no degradation to those. But, since I started with DE at the beginning of the year and after acquiring a number of different sample packs I was storing them in a zip-lock bag but then I decided why not put them in a container. I have these old Tupperware sandwich containers that I hardly use so I took one and use it for the tucks of blades. They fit nice standing on edge and I can get 2 rows wide in the container. I am not sure how many I have in the container at this moment but it is around 75 along with a Schick injector cartridge and still room left for more. All open and unopened tucks are in there and when I need one just grab it from under the sink and select the one i want.

Well, since they are obviously ruined, feel free to send me the Astras since they aren't wrapped in plastic. On second thought, I might even pay the shipping, just to be nice.

Just kidding! I don't think they will be damaged in any way. But then I live where the humidity is measure in negative numbers. Lol. I keep mine in a closet right get outside the bathroom in a shoebox. After six years, I have no complaints with my blades.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I keep most of my blades (maybe a thousand or so) in the bathroom, no special storage, just an old cigar box. Most have been there for 4 years or more with no apparent degradation.

I just keep mine in the medicine cabinet. Right now that is 2 or 3 tucks of Astra SP, probably double that of GSB and w-3 of Doro 300's. They have been there for over 2 years.

If I had any 100 packs I would have some elsewhere simply because of space considerations.

I store opened packs in the medicine cabinet but sealed ones in a tupperware container and crayola tin in the closet, like others here because of space considerations. I also don't think it makes a difference, but I know medications are never supposed to be stored in the medicine cabinet.

Top Bottom