What's new

Sink clogging after starting wet shaving

I've had the same issues. It might be caused more by SWMBO hair. Whink hair clog blaster works well for me. I put a third of the bottle down the drain, wait at least 4 hours and run hot water.

I suspect for the most part some soap isn't going to clog a 1.5 inch pipe unless there is another problem going on.

We have two sinks in our bathroom, one is mine and the other my wife's. I'll let you guess which sink I have to remove the p-trap under the sink every six months and pull out enough hair for it to resemble a small animal. Once I do this the sink drains perfectly again.

A friend of mine bought one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zip-It-B...Z3bbn43i0j0Gc4DlQ02h4aAveq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds and he swears by it. It removes the hair from the drain without having to take everything apart under the sink. For the $2.48 I'll pick one up and give it a try next time I have a slow draining sink. Which I suspect shouldn't be too long from now.

Had the same problem. Been wet shaving for a month or so and drain slowed to a crawl. Not sure what the cause was, but used some liquid plumber specifically for hair and it worked like magic.

Get a ZIPIT or a small drain snake and clean out your drain, then run hot water for a minute or so followed by a cup of bleach. Hair (either from your head or any female living in the house) is more than likely the cause. You would be suprized at how much crud, mold and bacteria build up in those drains. I bleach my drains once a week and works great. Plus, you get rid of that bacterial funk smell that builds up. (P.S. - those ZIPIT things work great))

Last edited:
The clogged drains are what led me to switch to an electric for many years, I guess it was just the can goo that I used.
Now that I have switch to REAL wet shaving, I haven't had that problem.
Sometimes the drain does get slow but; warm water is always the trick.

I had little long term luck with any of the liquids, but some Red Devil (powdered lye) did the job. It was especially effective when I let it work for 90 minutes rather than the specified thirty. Effective and cheap.

Interesting, I'm going to look into that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I suspect for the most part some soap isn't going to clog a 1.5 inch pipe unless there is another problem going on.

We have two sinks in our bathroom, one is mine and the other my wife's. I'll let you guess which sink I have to remove the p-trap under the sink every six months and pull out enough hair for it to resemble a small animal. Once I do this the sink drains perfectly again.

A friend of mine bought one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zip-It-B...Z3bbn43i0j0Gc4DlQ02h4aAveq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds and he swears by it. It removes the hair from the drain without having to take everything apart under the sink. For the $2.48 I'll pick one up and give it a try next time I have a slow draining sink. Which I suspect shouldn't be too long from now.
Ha!! Was trying to remember the name of that Zip-it thing when I saw your post. I highly recommend it. Works wonders!

Ha!! Was trying to remember the name of that Zip-it thing when I saw your post. I highly recommend it. Works wonders!

I second this. Drains were not working well on our sink and tub. I forgot I had one of these in the towel closet. I yanked out about a pound of hair that resembled a drowned rodent, covered in ladies leg shaving cream and a few months worth of conditioner.

After showing the Mrs. this treasure, she's been more conscious of removing her stray hairs from the tub rather than rinse them down the drain.

My wife is the plumber in our house for the little things. (Still can't get her to replace the wax ring for the toilets.) I remember her snaking the shower drown years ago. That cured most of our slow drain issues.

Hot water, vinegar-baking soda trick always work to solve the issue of the clogged drains. Also unclogging the drains by chemical drain opener, a plunger or snake is the nice option. My brother also faced the same issue when he used to shave. He tried every possible DIY method to unclog the drains. He solved the problem temporarily using a plunger, but later also called the professional plumber north NJ to clear everything up and get the pipes back on track. Plumber looked onto the trap section and also went further down the line to locate the clog and clear it out.

Top Bottom