What's new

anyone using the Char Griller Akorn Kamado?

Well I couldn't wait any longer....I pulled the trigger on Amazon...got the grill, a cover, the stone, and a Kamado cook book. All of it should be here early next week....I think it's going to go great next to my Weber!

Well I couldn't wait any longer....I pulled the trigger on Amazon...got the grill, a cover, the stone, and a Kamado cook book. All of it should be here early next week....I think it's going to go great next to my Weber!

Enjoy!

The Akorn has arrived!!! I seasoned it last night and today went for a full on cook.

Ribs, corn on the cob, longhorn cheddar sausage and baked beans....this thing is a dream to cook on. I found it VERY easy to get to and then hold temp at 225° no more that 2-3 adjustments over a total of 5 hours. I'm thrilled with this Kamado and it is a welcome addition to the Weber with the Slow N Sear!

$File_000 (8).jpg$fc2.jpg$File_000 (6).jpg

Now I am teetering between this and a propane smoker.

while this is just my opinion...I had a propane smoker and sold it before we moved. Now having the Akorn I can see me enjoying this much more than the propane...this cooker is just way more versatile and can do a lot more than smoke.

If you can find one at a Walmart for $199 like some others have I would jump on it....even at $284 on Amazon like I did I think it's a great buy.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
while this is just my opinion...I had a propane smoker and sold it before we moved. Now having the Akorn I can see me enjoying this much more than the propane...this cooker is just way more versatile and can do a lot more than smoke.

If you can find one at a Walmart for $199 like some others have I would jump on it....even at $284 on Amazon like I did I think it's a great buy.

Thanks for the input. I think I know which way I am going to go. I have been wanting an egg for some time, and can't afford a Kamado Joe yet, so I think I will go the Akorn route. I assume, like most eggs, that it doesn't chew through charcoal- is that right?

Thanks for the input. I think I know which way I am going to go. I have been wanting an egg for some time, and can't afford a Kamado Joe yet, so I think I will go the Akorn route. I assume, like most eggs, that it doesn't chew through charcoal- is that right?

They recommend lump only and I had never used it (only used Kingsford) I found some B&B at the store, though I've read Royal Oak is good as well

I started with a volcano shaped pile..maybe a third of the bag with some pecan chunks mixed in....lit it with 1/4 of a Weber cube and cooked at 225 or so for 5 hours and used maybe a quarter of the pile.

For the next cook you just stir the lump, let the ash fall through...top it off with a few fresh chunks and go

The thing with the Kamado is you can also take it up to 600 for pizza or steady at 350 for chicken....again I just think it can do a bit more than a propane smoker.....I was also surprised at how much can fit on that thing!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Went to Lowes for garage door rollers and looked one over today. I think I'm going to buy one.

Went to Lowes for garage door rollers and looked one over today. I think I'm going to buy one.

well it appears that Walmart is still moving them out at $199 which is an awesome price....if you can find one in a store I would snatch it up....also theres a good chance the Lowe's or Home Depot could put them on sale as well.

good luck...I'm loving mine and we're doing homemade pizza's on the Akorn tonight!!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Me: shall we go to Walmart?
Wife: Why? You hate Walmart.
Me: well, don't you need some of that stuff you get there?
Wife: what stuff?
Me: I don't know. I just thought you said you needed to go there.
Wife: you hate that place. What the heck are you up to?
Me: well, remember the grill I told you about? Walmart has them on sale, and I want to put one on layaway
Wife: WM only has layaway during Christmas, dummy.
Me: Damn.

Or something like that.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
Seriously looking to one of these. Does it work as a conventional BBQ? I am unsure if I can justify the cost over a Webber otherwise.

Seriously looking to one of these. Does it work as a conventional BBQ? I am unsure if I can justify the cost over a Webber otherwise.

Yes you can just use it as a direct heat grill...which is what I'll be doing tonight with some Korean short ribs that have been in marinade since yesterday!

The Akorn will do low and slow, super hot (last nights pizza was at 600°+), I baked on it at 450° and tonight I'll just grill on it at about 350° or so.

Me: well, remember the grill I told you about? Walmart has them on sale, and I want to put one on layaway

Or something like that.

too funny!! I feel your pain!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Or something like that.

Owen goes to Walmart.

proxy.php

Top Bottom