What's new

Which DE/SE/Straight razor is your best shaver?

Just curious which razor is everyone's best shaver. Maybe not their best-looking razor, but the one that gives them a DFS/BBS with minimal effort every time.

I've only tried a few razors, but so far, my best shaver has been the Merkur 1904 open comb, with Astra SP blades. It's a pretty mild razor, but I get a great shave with one pass and some touch-ups. The shave itself is fast, as well.

My Merkur 34C has become my favorite razor of choice with almost any blade although Feathers and Derby Extras are the smoothest for me. DFS/BBS every morning with a 2 pass shave.

I have many that are very close and with care can provide a great shave, but I tend to favor the Merkur Progress as overall the razor I get consistently great results from. I have mine dialed to 2 most of the time and find it very forgiving. My only knock is the handle isn't as slip resistant as I would prefer.

My Super Adjustable is my favorite and I get a great shave. My Fatboy, Superspeeds and Krona work great also. I never noticed any consistently giving me the best shave though.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
DE-Gillette British Raised Flat Bottom NEW
SE- Ever-Ready 1914 $14-IMG_5457.jpg$IMG_5687.jpg

Last edited:
probably my Gillette Slim Adjustable on 4; however my Futur on 3wtg-2atg and Mergress on 3-2 are a such a close second that all 3 are in the rotation.

there's always a plan B

I can get great shaves with lots of different razors.

The one that gets me to DFS or better with the least time and effort is my Fatboy.

But, the one I reach for if I want to get the best beard lines would be an OLD type.

Favorite SE 1914 then 1912.

Last edited:
DE: either R41 2011 or Wolfman open comb with the blade gap increased to .74mm
Feather AC SE: Alumigoose
Injector SE: Schick E2
Gem blade SE: MMOC
Straight: Haven't yet wanted to climb down that rabbit hole

That's today. The list will be different next week.

While both of my razors, a Fat Boy and a Red Tip, give me excellent shaves, I give the edge to the Red Tip. A little shorter than the FB, it sits naturally and comfortably in my hand. I will never sell or trade either one, nor will I ever buy another razor. I'm set for life. :001_smile

Merkur Futur. I find everything perfect about this one. Awesome shaves every single time. One year of almost daily shaves, and I'm still in awe.

Edwin Jagger DE89 with Weber Bulldog handle
or Merkur 37C HD slant when I have a few days growth. It's a bit too much for me as a daily use razor.

Merkur Futur. I find everything perfect about this one. Awesome shaves every single time. One year of almost daily shaves, and I'm still in awe.

Do you find yourself using the adjustable feature much (like one # wtg/ another atg?)

Schick Krona with a Feather blade, R41 or Bravehead with a medium blade, ER 1914 with one of the dozens of blades available for that particular model.

It has been a complete surprise to me but it is my "The Standard Razor".

I've been Wet Shaving since 2008 and have tried a lot of DE's and a few straights and was totally flabbergasted at how good and how easily this razor performs for me. I have a full compliment of Gillette vintage razors, a handful of modern DE's, two slants, and two OC's. The Standard Razor doesn't discriminate as to what blade performs better than others, a Rockwell blade this morning, as any I've tried have done great. It would appear to be for my face the perfect combination of weight, blade angle and handle length.

Maybe some day I'll step up my game and get a ATT or Wolfman but until then this is my current favorite.

Top Bottom