What's new

Car break-ins while on vacation.

I never thought it would happen to us, but it did a few years ago. While traveling I left the holder for a GPS on the window. It was enough of a signal for thieves to break into our car. I also had a digital cameral and a few other things that were taken.

Last week we were on vacation in Florida and we were leaving early in the morning from the hotel. Three cars had left items in the back seats. All three had the rear windows smashed out. Clothing, gifts and sporting goods were scattered around the vehicles. Our rental car was untouched along with other cars that had valuables taken into the hotel.

After were we broken into I take everything out especially cell phone chargers and electronic cables, even when I am somewhere around home. These hotels are not the least expensive and you would think there would be some type of security, not the case. Those signs about bringing things in mean exactly what they say. The hotel assumes no liability for break-ins.

Even the "circle" left from the suction cup on the inside of the windshield is enough to alert the crooks that you may have some valuables inside. I always wipe mine off after each use. It's a pain. I keep a little squirt bottle of homemade Windex in the glove box for just that purpose. It travels well, so, I can use it in a rental car. I try never to leave valuables in the car anyway.

I saw the same thing a few years ago when we were on spring break with kids in DC. Someone smashed driver window of a van to snatch their GPS. Just makes me livid. Stupid vandals with no regard for others' possessions or enjoyment.

A car break-in would definitely ruin a vacation with the time spent dealing with the loss and the mess.

Not a week goes by that we don't have a car break in within our neighborhood.

Almost worth leaving the cars unlocked rather than paying for new glass.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I never lock my car. To me it's pointless. Thieves can get in to it in a few seconds.

Not a week goes by that we don't have a car break in within our neighborhood.

Almost worth leaving the cars unlocked rather than paying for new glass.

Yup. Only time I lock my car is at work when my firearm is inside. At least this way it's more of a deterrent.

Any other time it's unlocked. 1. I don't have anything in there that's worth stealing, unless they want a couple bucks in change. 2. My deductible costs more than a new window would.

Heck, just a couple hours ago I went shopping and left all 4 windows down and the sunroof open while shopping.

But I also make it a point to park in the back 40. Where no other cars are willing to park. So my car is in plain view at all times. Mainly because I don't want any door dings. People are so inconsiderate.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Matt:
That's too bad your car got broken into (especially a 'bummer' while on vacation). :a32:

Even with auto-theft prevention, I guess there's never a good place to park (unless in a police lot), anymore...what's one to do
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Never let thieves steal your happiness...it's not theirs to take". Anonymous

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yup. Only time I lock my car is at work when my firearm is inside. At least this way it's more of a deterrent.

Any other time it's unlocked. 1. I don't have anything in there that's worth stealing, unless they want a couple bucks in change. 2. My deductible costs more than a new window would.

Heck, just a couple hours ago I went shopping and left all 4 windows down and the sunroof open while shopping.

But I also make it a point to park in the back 40. Where no other cars are willing to park. So my car is in plain view at all times. Mainly because I don't want any door dings. People are so inconsiderate.

I would steal your car first.

Yea, grab the one without any door dings in it first.... You know it will be well taken care of and recently serviced so you can beat the living $%#@+ out of it and still get a couple hours of fun before leaving it against a tree somewhere and heading to find the next one some one has left unlocked with the windows rolled down.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Yea, grab the one without any door dings in it first.... You know it will be well taken care of and recently serviced so you can beat the living $%#@+ out of it and still get a couple hours of fun before leaving it against a tree somewhere and heading to find the next one some one has left unlocked with the windows rolled down.

And that's when the insurance would come in handy. But for a broken window just to rummage through stuff that ain't there....I'd be paying out of pocket for that.

And if someone wants to steal a Ford Fiesta go for it :lol:

And leaving the car wide open probably works in my favor. Maybe they will think "That's gotta be a bait car" and move on.

I saw the same thing a few years ago when we were on spring break with kids in DC. Someone smashed driver window of a van to snatch their GPS. Just makes me livid. Stupid vandals with no regard for others' possessions or enjoyment.

A car break-in would definitely ruin a vacation with the time spent dealing with the loss and the mess.

That is exactly what my wife and I said and why I posted this. Those cars all had family items in them and one had baseball equipment in the back. I just imagined one of the kids was playing in a tournament and not wanting to drag all the gear in the hotel room. I have been there when everyone is tired and you just don't have enough room in the hotel. Both times these incidents happened at a Hilton, so the cost of the hotel had nothing to do with it.

All three cars were in that 40k plus range and one in particular was up around 60k plus tag. Expensive repairs and hard parts to find are going to be the case.

In a side note, guy hit me a few months back, had a gps on his windshield and he found out the hard way that in most states, it's illegal to have a gps anywhere on your window and if you're in an accident, it's immediately your fault for obstruction of view. I'd advise everyone to check their state law to find out. I'd hate for someone to simply not know that and learn the hard way.

Sorry for your break in.

Some years ago when the GPS suction cup started occasionally failing, I replaced it with a beanbag holder that sits on the dashboard. The beanbag has an anti-skid bottom and leaves no telltale mark on the windshield. Depending on the slickness of your dashboard, the bean bag may occasionally slide as it does on our newest car.

I've got a dashcam and removing it every time sucks even more.
I don't need navigation all the time, but don't like to drive without dashcam. Last time I forgot it there was - of course - an accident in front of me. :sad:
Need to mount it somehow inside the car so you can't see it.

For navigation I use a smartphone. Since I don't need to see the display, it can reside somewhere in the car or even in my pocket. Spoken directions are enough for me.

Top Bottom