What's new

I need some Chromebook advice.

I'm already a Linux user, I'm currently running Xubuntu and love it. My laptop is aging and I'd like to get a new one. I like the idea of a Chromebook, I already use the Google office products exclusively, but I also use Inkscape a lot, and the Gimp a good bit too as well as a Bible program that I really like.

I would just upgrade to a new laptop, but I don't want to buy one just to have to wipe Windows off of it to install Linux. I know there are companies out there that market laptops/desktops with Ubuntu pre-installed, but they're pricey.

If there was someway to install applications onto a Chromebook and keep Chrome OS, that would be great. I know you can dual boot with a full version of Linux, but that's a lot of hassle for 3 applications.

Any advice?

i run google on my IPad and also have word shearch bible.Ios also can run windows now through your pc at home.i love my pad,128 gig memory and a 64 bit system,its super fast and very secure.

The only apps I have installed are from the Google web store so I don't know if you can install other apps or not. The only way you can print is if you have a computer on your network with Chrome installed on it then you can print to the printers installed on that computer.

Chromebooks can be just a bit limiting. I had an ARM chromebook when those first came out and it was decent but I eventually missed having all the options you get with any other OS.

Usually they come with some version of Windows. I think you can get them with linux pre-installed if you go to the Lenovo website. All Lenovo computers work with linux. They are designed to do so. Don't be afraid to check auction sites for a slightly older one for super cheap. It will work great with linux.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Chromebooks are kind of crippled when there is no internet access, I think. And so limiting, as already pointed out. I like Linux a lot these days and I have been running Ubuntu since Windohs 8 came out. Dell laptops work well with Ubuntu... don't know about other distros. It even picks up the new Dell laptop touch screens, which really surprised me. The only PITA about Dell is on some the HD is really hard to get at, and my usual immediate right out of the box upgrade is a 1TB SSD. RAM if there is an open slot. The SSD really speeds up a laptop.

One thing I have noticed with my Ubuntu powered laptops is I found myself going less and less to Wine and Windohs apps. I haven't used anything but native Linux software in a very long time now. The OS has really matured, and is dead simple to install, set up, and tweak. No stupid registration or nagware/bloatware preinstalled. No need for antivirus, if you do your part.

It sucks to think about it, but 99% of all new laptops come with Windohs and you are not stuck with it but you are stuck with paying for it. I truly hate what Windoze has become. But I digress. And I have little experience with chromebooks, but every time I think about picking one up to try, my instincts take over and I run far away from it. I will stick with a robust open source system that can continue to function fully even without any available network connectivity.

I've been using some version of Ubuntu for years. I switched to Xubuntu when Ubuntu switched to Unity from Gnome. I tried getting used to it, I just don't like it.

I found a tutorial on running a full version of Ubuntu within Chrome OS so you can install applications, but I like the advice of buying a newer laptop and updating it a bit. Throw some more memory at it maybe a solid state drive. I still like the Chromebook idea , but I don't think it fits my needs.

We had an early chromebook for about 3 years. If you want an inexpensive machine with a keyboard that is used exclusively for web browsing, the Chromebook is the way to go. We used it as a laptop that we kept in the living room to use when we were watching TV to look up "stuff", check email, facebook and of course our favorite shave forum. We used Google calender for a family calender, Google docs. It was a cheap Acer Laptop and I was surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

We replaced it with a Samsung Tablet used for the same purpose. It has most of the functionality of the Chromebook, but honestly I miss the keyboard. If I was going to spend more than a few hundred dollars, I would opt for the functionality of Ubunntu.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
We had an early chromebook for about 3 years. If you want an inexpensive machine with a keyboard that is used exclusively for web browsing, the Chromebook is the way to go. We used it as a laptop that we kept in the living room to use when we were watching TV to look up "stuff", check email, facebook and of course our favorite shave forum. We used Google calender for a family calender, Google docs. It was a cheap Acer Laptop and I was surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

We replaced it with a Samsung Tablet used for the same purpose. It has most of the functionality of the Chromebook, but honestly I miss the keyboard. If I was going to spend more than a few hundred dollars, I would opt for the functionality of Ubunntu.

Plenty of laptops at Best Buy in the $300 range. I paid $325 I think for my new Dell, and another $100 or so for a 1TB SSD. Original had a 500GB HDD and I need lots of storage, and SSD really speeds up a laptop.

SSD not needed just to putter along with Ubuntu, though.

I have pretty nearly PC level performance and versaility with my various Samsung android devices, but they are rooted, running custom ROMs, and carrier unlocked. I mostly use my Note 3's in that role. (I have 4 of them... best phone Samsung ever made, and probably best they ever WILL make.) OTG capability, i.e. being able to plug USB devices into the phone, is a real game changer, as well as being able to fully access the entire device file system. This shouldn't be a big surprise, since Android is basically just another Linux, with no default access to root priveleges.

Top Bottom