What's new

New to straight, and I have two questions

I have searched the forum and I have not found a clear answer to my questions.
I have been shaving with DE razors. I have just purchased my first straight razor and next week I'm going to give it a try.
When using safety razors, with the exception of a couple of areas near the chin, I never pull my skin. Actually, on the neck I do the exact opposite, i do what members here call bullfrogging. In this way I get a good shave and I avoid any irritation. I can even use some pressure in some more stubborn areas, without any problem. The contrary happens if I pull the shin.
Watching the videos about shaving with straight razors it looks like pulling the skin by using your free hand or just turning your head when working on the neck, is something that must be done.

So, my questions are:

A) Is pulling/stretching your skin a must with straight razors?

B) Can I "bullfrog" when shaving the neck or is it a recipe for slicing my skin?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
The DEs' safety bar or combs stretch out the skin flat in front of the razor edge. Without these training wheels a good stretch with your off hand is recommended. Think of a plow going over a smooth road vs. a road with speed bumps . . . .

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What Dan said. Stretch the skin when shaving in the manly fashion, and watch the angle, pressure, and direction. Concentrate on surviving the shave with no loss of blood or irritation. Closeness will come with experience. Don't worry about a perfect shave right out the gate. Take all precautions, especially if the razor is seriously sharp.

An unmodified GD is a rather gentle shaver, and maybe a bit more forgiving than a leaner and meaner blade, but you still should use standard accepted technique while just starting out. Plenty of time to get reckless and crazy later in your shave journey.

As stated tight taunt skin will be your friend using straights, you don't need to pull it so tight like your playing with Gumby just pulled taunt, rule of thumb is about 100 shaves until you get really comfortable using one, been almost 2 years for me and now I cannot see any other way to shave.

So, my questions are:

A) Is pulling/stretching your skin a must with straight razors?

B) Can I "bullfrog" when shaving the neck or is it a recipe for slicing my skin?.

Skin pulling/stretching is not an absolute "must", but if you are a beginner it is generally recommended. Everyone's face/skin is different. I pull/stretch my skin for certain areas of my face and not for others. It really depends on what works for you. I suggest you experiment. And go slow. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll see how it goes. This weekend I should be able to try it.

Everyone has given a lot of great suggestions! Since this will be your first go around, my two cents is to lather only half your face at a time. Since you will be going slow, the 1st pass may take you awhile and this is totally fine. Once you are done with the 1st half of your face, move on to the other and lather it up. This helps with making sure the lather does not dry up and you can focus more on the task at hand.

Another thing - mess around with the grips and so some practice strokes in the air to get the feel. When you are shaving and the grip and blade seem uncomfortable, STOP and RESTART. Don't force anything since that will cause irritation and potential nicks/cuts.

One more thing - when you start "feeling comfortable", you will want to go at a faster pace like your DE passes. STOP if you realize you are doing this. I got too comfortable and gained some confidence which let my guard down. This ended up in a cut or two. War scars aren't my thing but YMMV. The lady of the house isn't a fan of my interest in straights since she thinks I'm gonna kill myself. So cuts are more ammo that she throws my way that I should just stick with DE.

Lastly - Regarding pulling/stretching your face, it definitely helps. I would suggest that you practice this before you start shaving just to get a sense of how to flatten different parts of your face. I actually catch myself doing this in bed or on the couch watching TV. Seems really stupid but I am sure in the long run my face will appreciate it.

It really is enjoyable and has been quite a journey. For me, it's only been a week. So I can imagine how things will improve as time goes on. It is great that you are starting on the weekend since the first shaves with a straight is quite time consuming. Right now my straight shavings last from 30-45 minutes with 2/3 passes + touch ups.

I started a journal as well and I find it helpful to write about what I liked and what I don't liked. If I found any "AH HA moments", I want to remember it. Plus, it is a HUGE confidence booster having other members chiming in and giving feedback. When things go bad, there is always someone to pick you up so you don't give up.

From my brief introduction to this world, it is a rabbit hole. If you truly enjoy it, you will see how quickly you can go on numerous AD's. Right now, I only have slight SRAD. I can only imagine how things can evolve once I pick up stropping, honing, restoring. I don't think there's no turning back and to be honest, I am perfectly fine with that. :thumbup:

I really would like to get into a straight razor.

As I am a newbie (couple of months), I think I should get a handle on the DE razor first. I am still nicking myself every couple two or three shaves or so. I will admit, I am a little timid to actually purchase a straight razor as then I will be committed.

:surrender:

OK. I have done it four times. I shave every day.
First time: strong side upper part only, one pass WTG. I survived.
Second time: strong side upper part only, one pass WTG. A little better.
Third time: strong side upper part only, one pass WTG, OK, tried one pass ATG not so not good, I could not advance more than one inch.
Fourth time, yesterday: strong side upper part only, one pass WTG, OK/Good, one pass ATG again not very good, I used an even smaller angle, almost flat, the blade started advancing so I could do the whole area under my sideburn, but very poor shave and some irritation (and in that area I never get any kind of irritation).

Lathe quality is perfect, blade seems to be clean and sharp and it actually works well WTG. I shave every day so I'll see this evening but I am definitely doing something wrong.

Top Bottom