What's new

anyone else feel that

anyone else feel that synthetic brushes made today are just superior to badger and boar brushes?
Of course. I don't -- it's badgers for me -- but people have all sorts of varying preferences on brushes and we don't all end up selecting the same bristle type, loft, knot diameter, handle, you name it. There are certainly plenty who prefer synthetics. Enjoy what you enjoy. You don't need validation from others for your choices.

Yes, they are. I get high quality lathers from synthetics faster and more easily than the Badgers and Boars. I would encourage and new traditional wet shaved to get a Plissoft, Plisson or Mühle as their first brush. I recently swapped a two band Simpson Tulip for a synthetic Chubby 2 and am very, very happy with the brush.

That's putting your money where your mouth is!

marty

I have 2 synths, 2 silvertip, 3 finest. Of the 7, the synths are my least favorites. They're ok for bowl lathering creams, but lack the backbone I like for soaps or face lathering. I know many others disagree, but I don't even bother to use mine with a soap. Honestly I won't own another.

It's quite hard to just state 'they lack backbone' without speaking of which brand. My Plisson is sloppy, yes, Maggard's a lot better, but my EJ/Muhle knot is terrific. It has the same 'backbone' as my Simpson badger and Bambino Boar.

It's quite hard to just state 'they lack backbone' without speaking of which brand. My Plisson is sloppy, yes, Maggard's a lot better, but my EJ/Muhle knot is terrific. It has the same 'backbone' as my Simpson badger and Bambino Boar.

Good point. Maggard's 24 x 51 and Shave Revolution stubby 24 x 48. They're soft, I'll give them that, but can't even be compared to the backbone of my TGN finest knots or even my Shave Revo premium silvertip, also 24 x 48. They're on par with my TGN premium silvertip, but that lacks the backbone I like as well, so it doesn't get much use either.

No is the short answer.

It depends on how you look at it. Money no object, I have yet to find a synthetic that can rival the face-feel of a high-end badger brush and I've tried Muhle, Edwin Jagger and Simpson synths. They're great brushes but to me badger just feels better.

If you take cost into account then synthetics are tough to beat, IMO you need to spend quite a bit on a badger to get the combination of backbone and soft tips that I enjoy. As an example my Simpson Chubby 2 was almost three times the price of my EJ XL STF.

To be honest, for me the main advantages to synthetics are drying speed and cost vs performance. I like snythetics, but throwing price out of the window I'd choose badger every time.

I have yet to feel a synth with the backbone that a badger brush can provide. Even those synths that do come closer don't really have the backbone of a badger, they have a backbone analog that comes close, but in the end, can't match badger. The synths are too "springy" by far for me.

If you like synths then great. IMHO they simply can't match badger or boar.

I've been a fan of synths since the plisson dropped to $30. Really affordable brushes that perform well...unfortunately not as good as high end badger. A paladin, saponificio varesino, or shavemac 2 band silvertip are the best hairs around and all can be had for under $200. I've yet to use a synth that mimics these brushes well enough.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
^ You forgot Thater's hair. Softer at the tip of the hair than Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip or Paladin's. Can't compare with the SV because I don't like the looks of it and don't plan to buy one. Seriously, though, Thater hair is so soft it's insane!

I tried to like synthetics but I rarely use them unless I'm on vacation. Quality Badgers and boars are superior in my case for lathering and face feel.

^ You forgot Thater's hair. Softer at the tip of the hair than Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip or Paladin's. Can't compare with the SV because I don't like the looks of it and don't plan to buy one. Seriously, though, Thater hair is so soft it's insane!

I don't own a Thater yet, so clearly the hair is inferior :tongue_sm:lol: (a thater two band is on my list)

I went synth and I've never looked back. Way way softer then the badger silver tip I tried, no tangles, no soaking, dried fast, lathers great and quick. Only downside is lack of different colors which is improving.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I went synth and I've never looked back. Way way softer then the badger silver tip I tried, no tangles, no soaking, dried fast, lathers great and quick. Only downside is lack of different colors which is improving.

Which synthetic if you don't mind my asking? I've used a ton and some of them have some prickle or scrub a little too much because they don't splay so easily (or splay too much in Plusson's case).

I prefer the feel of badger.

Synthetics make lather easier, dry quicker, are cheaper, and have softer tips when dry.

But when wet and while building lather, I can feel the fibers prickling into my skin, they don't have a good mix of backbone and splay, and they aren't offered in a fan shape.

I'll always have a synthetic for travel, but at home I use badger 99% of the time.

+1

Which synthetic if you don't mind my asking? I've used a ton and some of them have some prickle or scrub a little too much because they don't splay so easily (or splay too much in Plusson's case).

For me it started with the satin tip black then satin tip white and now the plission copies like maggards or plissofts. My badger brush is too scratchy compared to them. It's softer then the boars I have though.

The omega synthetics and muhles are more scratchy I've heard though.

I haven't tried a plission so I can't compare it's splay to the copies but I've seen others say they have more backbone then the plission.

I couldn't agree more about the quality of new synthetics, I love the ones I have. That said, I will never give up my boars, horses, and badgers----we all have to get along in my den.

Shaving with a synthetic is like wearing a polyester suit. They have their advantages but are no substitute for natural fiber. :001_smile

Top Bottom