What's new

Osage Orange w/Shave Revo Stubby Synth

I decided to go ahead and finish this one up today. I turned an osage orange lather bowl awhile back & decided to make a matching brush. I used a 24mm x 67mm Shave Revolution synthetic stubby, set at a 48mm loft. Nice & soft but still lacks the backbone I desire. I now have a brush for every day of the week, with 2 more handles turned and another partway finished. The knot got flattened pretty bad during shipping as you can, but it should take shape after a few uses. I like making these, and will probably amass quite a collection in the coming months & years. I prefer acrylic for shaving items but a nice wood handle with a CA finish should be just as durable.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 90
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 88
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 87
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 88

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Is that really Osage Orange wood?

That's the hardest wood that I know.

Once I bought a youth axe and used it on an old Osage Orange tree. That axe got ruined, and I returned it to the store to get my money back.

I'll be careful with that wood the next time.

That handle really turned out nice. I like the shape as well as the grain and coloration.

Thank you. It will darken thought, Osage Orange always does. My bowl is already a few shades darker, but has a nice rich color to it.

Is that really Osage Orange wood? That's the hardest wood that I know.

Yes, it's one of the hardest woods grown in North America (possibly THE hardest), but it turns nicely and takes a beautiful finish. I had no problem turning this or the matching bowl, you just need sharp tools. It's almost ready to go with just a good finish cut followed by burnishing with the shavings.

That's a beautiful brush. Brings back some childhood memories. We had an Osage Orange tree in the woods behind our house. The tree was way up at the top of the hill. When the fruit broke loose it would roll down the hill picking up speed as it went. There is a plateau behind our house and the balls of fruit would come off the plateau like cannonballs. When we heard one coming we ran out of the back yard. In later years I would stand out back with my baseball glove trying to catch them. Closest I got was a deflection that smacked me in the forehead. I quit after that. :laugh:

That's a beautiful brush. Brings back some childhood memories. We had an Osage Orange tree in the woods behind our house. The tree was way up at the top of the hill. When the fruit broke loose it would roll down the hill picking up speed as it went. There is a plateau behind our house and the balls of fruit would come off the plateau like cannonballs. When we heard one coming we ran out of the back yard. In later years I would stand out back with my baseball glove trying to catch them. Closest I got was a deflection that smacked me in the forehead. I quit after that. :laugh:

:lol:

I almost spit my coffee all over my ipad!

Top Bottom