What's new

Meatloaf

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
While everyone has a right to....I never really understood "secret" recipes...if I make something that I love to eat the one thing that would really make me happy is to have others be able to make it as well. YMMV

I had two great aunts that had a lifetime competition over a salsa the family called Hot Stuff. Both were good, but aunt Celie's was my favorite. They both took their recipes to the grave, which saddens me. Because of this I called my habanero sauce Big O's Hot Stuff, and freely share the recipe.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As some have alluded to already, meatloaf is one of those things that you make by the seat of your pants. I've devolved into using the roughly the same ingredients for meatloaf as for meatballs - mix of ground round (chuck is too loose for these), pork and veal about 60/20/20% or somewhere close, eggs if I have them, milk soaked torn bread (if I have milk, otherwise soak the bread in half & half), Parmesan and/or Romano (heavier for meatballs), onions & spices. Meatloaf gets some chili sauce or spiked ketchup if there's no chili sauce around. Sometimes some shrooms or olives to pretty meatloaf up.

The real problem with doing it this way, is when you hit a home run and can't recall exactly what you did ..

As some have alluded to already, meatloaf is one of those things that you make by the seat of your pants. I've devolved into using the roughly the same ingredients for meatloaf as for meatballs - mix of ground round (chuck is too loose for these), pork and veal about 60/20/20% or somewhere close, eggs if I have them, milk soaked torn bread (if I have milk, otherwise soak the bread in half & half), Parmesan and/or Romano (heavier for meatballs), onions & spices. Meatloaf gets some chili sauce or spiked ketchup if there's no chili sauce around. Sometimes some shrooms or olives to pretty meatloaf up.

The real problem with doing it this way, is when you hit a home run and can't recall exactly what you did ..

olives....now there's a nice touch....something to add to the next one!

Thanks Robert will try that this weekend.

By this

1 lb of ground beef/turkey/pork

are you meaning "pick one" or combine a third pound of each? (I like a beef and lamb combo. :001_smile)

Last edited:
I like to do a few things different with mine...
2lbs Meat (80% lean ground chuck, pork, veal in a 2:1:1 ratio; 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs soaked in 1/2 cup milk (keeps moist and protects against overcooking)
Free form on foil lined cookie sheet instead of loaf pan (allows for browning on 3 sides instead of just 1)
Coat with Heinz ketchup (light coating, nothing crazy)
Cook to internal temp of 145, remove and let rest.

Option: form loaf around a core of hard boiled eggs

I had two great aunts that had a lifetime competition over a salsa the family called Hot Stuff. Both were good, but aunt Celie's was my favorite. They both took their recipes to the grave, which saddens me. Because of this I called my habanero sauce Big O's Hot Stuff, and freely share the recipe.

My grandma wanted only her daughters and me and my brother to be have her apple strudel recipe. If I find a worthy family member, I will pass on the recipe to only that person.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My grandma wanted only her daughters and me and my brother to be have her apple strudel recipe. If I find a worthy family member, I will pass on the recipe to only that person.
Do pass it on. You may not want to share it publicly, but if your family enjoys it, then future family members should get the chance, too

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
What good is a great recipe if you can't share it? Unless you plan to market it or participate in some competition, it should be spread around and enjoyed.

My aunt's strudel recipe (we're Czech) is available for the asking. Simple and delicious.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Agreed. Although I think we should have him make some and invite us over to eat it. Mike, we are awaiting a PM with your address :lol:

10-4 on that. We're not too far away to come and see what the heck your stuff is all about. I don't need to see your recipe I need to eat it.
[MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION]

1lb each;80-20beef,pork,venison,then the standard bell jalapeno peppers,onion,celery,garlic,cilantro,and bread crumbs and 2 large eggs for binding,and as mentioned timing is everything on the catsup and who's yur sire

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You bring the Boone's Farm, and I'll bring the Mad Dog :lol:

If that's the case...Aaron has the address.

One word of caution: don't try to use a GPS out here. Some workers tried that and ended up in a small town about 20 miles from here. They had to call me and ask for physical directions. :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Okay...since you guys insist.

From the award winning State Fair contestant Aunt Bee:

$IMG_0002.jpg

Recipe courtesy of Bobbie Carson.

$IMG_0006.jpg

Top Bottom