What's new

5 Straights in 10 Days

If I was trying to find another razor similar to the Frederick Reynolds that I kept, how would I describe the point? I'm not entirely sure what I should call it. Would it be a French/Irish Point?
Thanks

I would call it a French Point.
You have come a very long way in a short period of time. The best news is that you are getting great shaves and enjoying it! :thumbup:

I am enjoying it a little too much. I had another rushed morning and grabbed the SE today. Another great shave, but I miss the straight. I think my Gold Dollar should be here this week, and I'm buying a third straight razor. I'm also reading a great deal about honing. I really can't thank you and the other members enough!

Fantastic my Friend and Always a pleasure to bring others into the fray of Deep Rabbit Hole that Straight Shaving is:thumbup1: Keep up the great work and I look forward to your Honing adventures as well:thumbup:

Another great shave with the Frederick Reynolds today. I ended up with a weeper on my cheek because I puffed my cheeks out on the first pass with the blade too close to my face. Midway through the second pass, I noticed that the blade started to pull a little and that I could feel just a little roughness on the blade edge. I finished the pass and the shave. Despite the noticeable difference in the blade, the alum didn't sting at all. The aftershave was almost burn-free. Frankly, I could get used to irritation-free SAS as part of my daily routine. Maybe I'll just start shaving twice a day again. I'm not going to shave again with the Frederick Reynolds until I can strop it.

My flawed poor man strop kit and 3 additional razors should all hopefully arrive this week. I'll be shaving with my SEs until something arrives. Pictures of new gear will be posed as they arrive.

The box I sent out should be arriving today, so hopefully by tomorrow there will be a new journal to read!

Last edited:
I pulled out the Gold Open Comb Micromatic today. Vie-Long Horse Hair Brush & some RazoRock 888 Eucalyptus soap. Gem PTFE Blades (Ted Paella 121-3; GEM model 62-0165 / 62-0178 (green box)).

Great shave. I love how mellow the 888 has become with age. Just a nice light eucalyptus scent, that reminds me of being at a relative's house that used to keep dried eucalyptus in the bathroom. It also makes me think of Kouros and Body Kouros. My 3 pass shave went well. Nothing unusual. My neck, as usual for an SE shave, ended up only SAS. Above the neck is a CCS.

I miss the straight razor. It looks like everything is going to arrive on Friday. I might try newspaper stropping tomorrow.

Give it a try, newspaper is a great beginning strop. Check out Goodwill for a wide belt, the tanned side will work fine. Keep the blade flat and you don't need heavy pressure. Have fun!

Another great shave with the Frederick Reynolds today. Newspaper stopping seemed to work great. The blade felt nice an smooth again. I have a flawed poor man strop that should arrive Saturday, so I'll be stropping on Newspaper until then. I figure the flawed poor man will be sufficient to learn on, and I can upgrade once I'm comfortable with stropping.

Also, if the newspaper works out well, it means I won't really need to worry about buying a travel strop for short trips.

3 Pass DFS. No blood. Almost no irritation. I did have a few small ingrown hairs in the under the lip area from yesterday's shave with an SE. I removed them prior to this shave. My face seems to like something about SR shaving more than SE shaving. My best guess is that the smoothness of the blade has something to do with it.

One of my new razors came yesterday evening, so of course I had to shave with it today. It is a muted spike point. I thought that the muting might help me learn to control a spike better, without cutting myself. The razor reads H.Hoppe on one side and Faultless on the other. It looks similar to the razors in this thread: #14 razors, but it doesn't that the #14 stamp.

$faultless-resized.jpg$H.Hoppe-resized.jpg

This is a nice big heavy razor. I'll have to get a ruler to measure it, but it is clearly larger than the Frederick Reynolds. It is also very sharp, and treetops hair easily. I went with Proraso Red Cream, because this is my benchmark cream for trying a new razor. The first pass went great! Very comfortable and smooth. Towards the end of the second pass, I noticed a little bit of increased irritation. The blade wasn't dragging, but it just didn't feel as comfortable as I thought it should. I finished the second pass, and did my third pass. My face was noticeably irritated at this point.

I do notice the increased weight of the blade. Downward passes seemed to just glide a little bit more. The ATG pass was a little bit more tricky, as I had to use just a touch more effort.

Lots of sting from the alum block, and the Florida Water really stung hard. No cuts, and my face feels fine now. I'm going to strop the blade, and hope for a less irritating shave from it tomorrow. Overall, I'd say it was a CCS. I'm happy with the results for the first day with a new blade.

My question: Is it possible that with the added weight you changed your blade angle?

It is entirely possible. I will watch carefully tomorrow and evaluate how things go. My experience with changing the blade angle too much in the past has been that either the razor didn't cut hair or the razor cuts skin. I may have used too much force with it. I'll just give myself a few shaves to figure out the new blade.

I got a nice surprise when I came home today. The Russian razor from Doc arrived a day early, and my honed Gold Dollar 66 arrived. Pictures of both tomorrow. The Russian needs a light hone. The GD seems incredibly heavy. I guess it is because it is only a 1/2 hollow grind.

I'm going to look at inexpensive things I can purchase over the weekend to begin my honing journey. I don't want to ruin the Russian, but I think I've read enough now that I'll be ok.

I just did some catching up. You caught the bug! Congratulations on your new acquisitions, and it looks like you're ahead of the learning curve with the straight. :thumbup:

Busy day today. Didn't have time for photos. I shaved with the H. Hoppe again today. First pass went well, but I noticed some minor tugging on the second pass. The tugging became worse on the third pass. I finished up my shave with the honed Gold Dollar 66 I planned to shave with tomorrow. The GD seemed incredibly smooth.

I don't think just newspaper stropping is going to do it for the Hoppe. It is still sharp, as it will treetop hair. However, it isn't smooth. I'm thinking that I should spend sometime with it on the leather strop or balsa (with compound) when the Whipped Dog Kit arrives tomorrow afternoon.

Tomorrow will be a full shave with the GD. The mail brought me some Proraso Blue Cream and a Proraso Professional Boar Brush today, so I'll try both tomorrow as well.

The only shaving related purchase I'm waiting on is a 1/2 price cosmetically flawed lather bowl from Captain's Choice and two samples. That should arrive sometime next week. Once it comes, I'm going to try not to purchase anything unless it is related to honing. I've way too many soaps and creams, and I think 4 straights is enough for now.

Excellent job with the switch up my Friend, have had to do that more times than one myself. No worries though, you shall have your WD kit in and be able to get some good stropping and maintenance in on that blade:thumbup1:

As far as stropping goes I thought I wasn't pulling mine too tight but I was. You have to get 2 things going while stropping; 1) the spine and edge must make even contact, 2) listen for that distinct sound of edge contact being made w/ very little pressure.
If you feel like you're having to over manipulate the blade to hear edge contact just introduce a touch more slack into the strop.

Ciderguy,
I'm just catching up on your journal and it sounds like you're doing really well! I've enjoyed reading your posts and I'm impressed with your quick progress and your willingness to start honing already. You've got more guts than me, my friend!

Great job! Looking forward to hear how the stropping goes and if the pasted balsa helps improve the Hope razor.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Top Bottom