What's new

5 Straights in 10 Days

Day 6
Ribbon

Unfortunately, I had very little time to shave this morning. I settled for one WTG pass with the Ribbon and a quick ATG pass with Gem G-Bar. The pass with the Ribbon went quite well. IT cut through the hair very well. I did make one mistake and misjudged the point. This resulted in an extremely shallow 3 inch vertical cut on the left side of my face. The cut took a good bit of styptic pencil to close. Lesson learned. Don't shave with a straight if I'm in a hurry.

Next time I'll just go for a SAS with the SE and touch up with the SR at night. Still overall it was a great shave, and I really like the Ribbon. I intend to do a full shave and have pictures of the Ribbon tomorrow.

Ciderguy, what razor/blade combo ( DE and/or SE) do you usually shave with ?
In term of sharpness, do you feel straight is sharper or duller then them ?

Ciderguy, what razor/blade combo ( DE and/or SE) do you usually shave with ?
In term of sharpness, do you feel straight is sharper or duller then them ?

q345
I've never shaved with a DE. I normally shave with a Gem Jr. 1912 or (lately) a Gem G-Bar. I'd have to say slightly less sharp. The SE blades that I normally use (GEM 62-0178, SS PTFE Coated or Treet CS Super uncoated) will slightly pull and treetop my arm hair easily. I have to run any of the straights over my arms 3-4 times very close to the skin to get it to cut one or two hairs. Now, when the straight does cut, it doesn't seem to pull at all. It cuts clean through it and makes a delightful sound.

Except for learning issues of cutting myself, the overall quality and way my face feels post shave is much better. So, I think these razors are plenty sharp.

Ciderguy, thanks for your reply.
I am using Feather SE blades and I read that they are sharpest available way sharper then any straight razor edge. Just wanted to know what to expect.

Additional question : you wrote you face feel much better post-shave.
Do you mean less irritation/burn with the same closeness of shave ?
Or may be it's feel better because you do less passes and they are not as close as your regular SE since you more cautious ?

Regards,
I am waiting for my turn in a couple of month to try SR for first time( I wasn't as quick as you to subscribe to this pass-around, got a lucky number 13).

Additional question : you wrote you face feel much better post-shave.
Do you mean less irritation/burn with the same closeness of shave ?
Or may be it's feel better because you do less passes and they are not as close as your regular SE since you more cautious ?

I feel less irritation and a closer shave. My smoothest shaves with an SE are on days 3 & 4 of a new (SS PTFE) coated blade. I normally do three passes plus touch up this gets me to DFS on a good day and CCS on other days. My guess is that it would take 5 or more passes with a SR to get to the same level of irritation. However, as long as I hold the blade at the correct angle, I'm at a DFS after 4 passes with the SR.

Moreover, my neck feels consistently smoother after shaving with the SR. Also, the stubble that I can feel is less poky. I'm in the habit of rubbing my hands on my cheeks and under my jawline throughout the day. With the SE, these areas begin to feel scratchy by the afternoon. With the SR, they don't scratch until the next morning. Even then, they are much smoother. I feel like the SR leaves a less sharp edge on the hair.

I've never had a BBS, and it isn't something that I try to achieve. Every time I've tried for a BBS with a SE, I end up with a horrible batch of ingrown hairs in the smoothest areas. The smoothest parts of my neck and cheeks don't seem to have this issue with the SR. I've had less ingrown hairs on my face during this past week of testing than I've ever had during the time that I've shaved daily. Ingrown hairs were the original reason I went to SE shaving, and my face seems to like SR shaving even better.

Yes, one will pay in skin and blood to learn SR. However, for me it is worth it. The overall quality of the shave is much better. Once I learn SR, I'll probably end up PIFing most of my SEs. I'm already thinking about ordering a strop and other SR equipment. This is a delightful rabbit hole.

Ciderguy, thanks a lot for such a detailed response. Really looking forward to try SR myself.

BTW, I also have this habit of check the quality of shave hours after and it frequently surprises me that two shaves might felt EXACTLY the same immediately after completion, but one can 'hold it's ground' much better then other half a day after and 'sandpaper' feeling very different among them.

I am sure somewhere in Gilettes dungeons locked are results/photos with large magnification of different shaves taken on regular time intervals which can actually show the differences.

Last edited:
Dan, I'll be happy to accept any advice when my turn arrives, but it looks like Ciderguy and myself comes from different experiences and might have different objectives ( that's why it was important for me to ask what he used before). I personally never have had any problem to achieve BBS with Cobra (and lately with Mongoose or ATT SE) paired with Feather Pro/Pro Super with minimal or no irritation and have never had problems with ingrown hairs, even back 7 or 8 years when I still used cartridges. I am just very curios to try SR and see how it feels and if I can achieve the same (or may be even better ) quality of shave after reading many posts about SR shaving but didn't want to deal with honing, (I just recently couple of days ago learned, to my surprise, that SR in general are duller then Feather SE ( I was sure the opposite is true ), hence my question about sharpness).

Regards

Day 7 (sorry for late post)

Today was my second shave with the Ribbon. Everything went well. The shave was very smooth. I did manage to scratch myself once, but it didn't break skin. This was a great DFS with only moderate irritation.

The biggest challenge lately has been to not reopen healing cuts from previous days. I've managed so far, but I do worry about shaving right over top of them.

$ribbon-front.jpg

Day 8
Frederick Reynolds

This is the final razor of the five. Like the Wade & Butcher from the first day, this razor is heavy. It has a reassuring feel in the hand. The shave went exceptionally well. I think my technique is improving.

The first pass left me feeling very smooth. I was able to avoid cutting myself with the point. I felt so smooth that I just did an ATG pass and cleaned up. The result was a CCS. I had almost no irritation from the alum or AS today. I could easily see myself doing two pass CCS for most days as a regular shave.

$fr-front.jpg

Very nice job on the shaves and explaining why you are finding SR shaving to your liking. Enjoying watching your progress. It was only 7 months ago I started with straights and I am so happy I did. The shaves will get even better, your shave times will shorten and you will feel much more comfortable. Before you know it you will be offering encouragement and maybe a tip or two to someone just starting.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Day 9 Frederick Reynolds

Another great shave with the Frederick Reynolds. I didn't get to shave until the evening, and I was looking a little scraggly. I ended up doing two WTG passes and one ATG pass. This left me with a DFS. I did have one small weeper, and an exceptionally smooth shave.
$last day.jpg

Day 10

I started off with the Wade and Butcher for the first WTG pass, and then switched to the Frederick Reynolds for a second WTG pass. These were my two favorites out of the bunch. I decided that after both passes I like the Frederick Reynolds better. The jimps and the shape of the point make the blade easier for me to work with.

I've packaged the 4 remaining razors, and sent them off to the next member. I'm looking forward to reading the next journal.

As for me, I'm now shopping for a strop and a second SR.

It really has been a wonderful journey. I've learned so much more about shaving in general. The wonderful thing about a SR is that it gives you instant feedback.

Lather too thin - you'll know the moment the blade touches your face
Lather dried out too much between passes - the SR will tell you
Didn't stretch right - you'll know
Rushed through a shave - you might pay with blood

My overall shaving technique has improved so much, because I know when I'm doing something wrong. With an SE, sure I might have a weeper or notice a little bit more irritation at the end of the shave. For the most part, I didn't know if it was because of lather, blade needing to be switched out, technique, etc. The SR gives instant feedback. Yes, that feedback might be cutting yourself, but that is blood well-spent.

I started lathering in a bowl part way though, and I know that helped. I was having trouble getting consistently excellent lather, and the learning process demanded great lather. I even bowl lathered some Arko today. I still find it slightly drying, but it was an excellent shave.

Next purchase give Sudsy Soapery a try, great post shave feeling, no drying and slick as ... a goose!

Slicker than Tabac, MWF, and Stirling?

And congrats [MENTION=97351]ciderguy[/MENTION]! The box was really fun. I should have mine shipped off as well over the weekend (latest Monday)

Next purchase give Sudsy Soapery a try, great post shave feeling, no drying and slick as ... a goose!

I'll have to try it. I'm not hurting for soaps. I have some a few tubs of various RR, and I'm thinking of grabbing a tube of Proraso Blue that is on sale right now. I'm just finding that my preferences are changing. What is good enough for SE isn't always good enough for SR. This is the rabbit hole of all rabbit holes.

I've picked up one of [MENTION=33022]life2short1971[/MENTION] 's 6/8 Gold Dollar 66 razors from the Panjo marketplace. I've contacted Larry over at Whipped Dog about a strop.

I'll continue this journal as I try new things, and learn more.

Outstanding work and a great choice of razors my Friend. Looking forward to watching your journey continue with ever improcing skills and shaves Sir:thumbup:

Give me a few months, and I'll probably be asking you guys to help me learn how to hone. I'd start now, but I'd like to recover from my new acquisition disorders.

I'm already looking at better strops for when I figure it out. I bought an inexpensive Proraso boar brush today when I grabbed the tube of blue. This has been a bad week for my wallet!

Give me a few months, and I'll probably be asking you guys to help me learn how to hone. I'd start now, but I'd like to recover from my new acquisition disorders.

I'm already looking at better strops for when I figure it out. I bought an inexpensive Proraso boar brush today when I grabbed the tube of blue. This has been a bad week for my wallet!
Great choice for a brush!

As an introductory way of getting into honing - lapping film in different grit/micron size and some granite floor tiles can be your start into honing. Slash McCoy has a VERY long thread on it, but it is fairly easy, cheap and effective. Throw in a couple of balsa strops and you have honing and maintenance covered until you become obsessed with Japanese Natural stones and you liquidate the retirement account to find the perfect finishing stone......kidding.....sort of.....

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

I shaved with my Gem G-Bar SE today due to time constraints. I took all of the skills I learned with the SRs and bowl lathered with Speick cream. Every other shave I've tried with Speick cream has resulted in blood, and I was about ready to PIF it.

I did a four pass WTG, ATG, GTX, ATG shave. My face was the smoothest it has been since I started shaving. Almost no irritation. Not BBS, but almost. Only took about 10 minutes.

Beginning to learn how to shave with a SR has greatly improved my shaving in general!

Top Bottom