What's new

Anyone into hankerchiefs ?

I think they went out of style for actual use with the advent of more hygienic disposable tissues. Who wants to carry soggy snot bombs around? It's like one step up from a dirty diaper. I guess as a fashion accessory for the snappy dresser a dress hanky is a necessity. Maybe offer it to a lady if she has to dab a tear or something. It's more classy than just tossing her a pack of Kleenex. :nono:

I always carry one.

They are particularly handy when I use a restroom where the only means of drying one's hands is a jet air dryer, or when the restroom is out of paper towels and needs to be restocked.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26618932

I also find it useful for drying my face and glasses when I get wet in the rain (won't help if I'm drenched, but usually it's just about cleaning off a few drops).

I carry one daily for 50+ years. Some interesting ones out there besides white. I love the multi color ones. Plus if you leave in your pocket and wash it no tissues all over the laundry.

I carry one the majority of the time, and have had them come in handy too many times to count. Wife makes fun of me for having one, and ends up using it more often that I do. We have a new baby that loves to drool all over everything so lately they've been used more for cleaning up her face. Yesterday I got contaminated by CS gas at work and was greatful to have one in my pocket to relieve the pressure and clean out my sinuses. Use it once and toss it in the wash. Iron it flat to fit in a back pocket and you'll never know its there.

Always carry one, cotton, from bandanna size down to regular size. Beats picking bits of soggy tissue off the just washed laundry.
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have them all over the house. I use the bandana under my hat when working in the yard. The handkerchief when I'm in a suit for weddings, formal parties, funerals or church. They are quite usefully in a sweaty or nervous environment.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have them all over the house. I use the bandana under my hat when working in the yard. The handkerchief when I'm in a suit for weddings, formal parties, funerals or church. They are quite usefully in a sweaty or nervous environment.
I wear an UnderArmour skull cap under my hat. Much better than a bandana IMO

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Always have a red bandanna in the vehicle. Good for tying to those things you buy at the lumberyard that hang out the back.

Handkerchiefs, pouchets, pocket squares are a style affectation that can go overboard or done with discretion. Hankies ( one is for blowin and one is for showin) or neckerchiefs in true cowboy lingo or the horsey girl 'wild rags' of today are very versatile and hold a social value.
There are still people who pick up on subtle cues; shined shoes, a modest mechanical watch, fountain pen and plain linen or cotton handkerchief as mark of taste and gentility.

I usually carry one, just plain cotton. I don't often blow my nose on it, as I don't want to walk around with a pocket full of snot, but they do come in handy for various things. From mopping my brow when it is hot, to drying my hands if there is no paper towels left in the gents.

+1, I always do my best to grab one. I also use them to apply my favorite cologne (Florida Water) since it's bottled. That way I can rub it on less wastefully and I have a lovely smelling cloth to offer to others in need.

I carry two. one in each front pocket. the one on the right is for my use. The one in the left for use an emergency. One should always have a clean spare to hand someone to dab away tears, mop a spilled drink on someone clothes, or staunch the flow of blood.
Every couple of days. depending on usage, the in-use one going in the laundry, the spare becomes in-use and a fresh one becomes the spare.
Is it a gentlemanly thing to do? I don't know, but it's a Cary-Grant-ly thing to do so that's good enough form me.

I've phased out handkerchiefs to a large degree.

I carry one 10 X 12 inches folded paper towel in my hip pocket for emergencies. Works for me! Just make sure you remove it from the pocket when you toss the pants in the washing machine.

First it was the suit that became obsolete. Then it was the handkerchief. Wonder what's next in the march of time?

I've carried one everyday for years. I blow the ever living hell out of my nose into it throughout the day. That sucker is like a sponge covered in maple syrup by the time I get home from work.

For some reason my wife refuses to wash them for me.

I've carried one everyday for years. I blow the ever living hell out of my nose into it throughout the day. That sucker is like a sponge covered in maple syrup by the time I get home from work.

For some reason my wife refuses to wash them for me.

If it's happening everyday perhaps you need to address the underlying cause. :)

Maybe use a sinus spray like xlear or nutribiotic.

And while I am here, for those who use handkerchiefs, where do you buy quality ones?

I have a really old one that is awesome. I have no idea where I got it but I think it might be something from my parents bought from the UK a long time ago.

The newer crop, some of which I bought in India and some in the US (places like Nordstrom), somehow comes out of the dryer in a weird shape...no longer square but rather like a funny shape. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 3
The reason a man should carry a hankerchief is so that he can hand one to a woman when she cries.

Maybe I sound old fashioned, maybe sexist some would say. But when I have had the opportunity, and I've handed one out, the response is truly worth it. And women never forget, (for good or bad).

I've started carrying bandanas (red and navy) in my back pocket when I wear jeans or khakis without a tie. Since I mostly wear cowboy and work boots with both jeans and khakis, I just felt a bandana added to that western wear / workwear aesthetic. I don't wear suits much at all, but it might be a good idea to get some regular hankies for when I wear suits or at least coat and tie. Of course, since I use them totally for blowing my nose or similar stuff, I guess it really shouldn't matter whether they're bandanas or plain white handkerchiefs, but something just seems wrong about carrying a bandana in your back pocket if you're wearing a suit (even if for totally utilitarian purposes).

I'd like to add that one day a few months ago I managed to give myself a bloody nose (Don't ask!). Fortunately I had a red bandana in my jeans pocket, so not only was I able to stop the bleeding, but it didn't look all bloody afterward! :001_302:

Handkerchiefs practically saved my life. They are most excellent if I need to wipe off some sweat, a good way to wipe my nose and mouth, or even swipe up a little mess. They're also more gentle on my skin than abrasive paper towels/ napkins.

my dad always has one when he leaves the house.

so do yall wash dry and then iron them or just fold them?

also...can it be used in placed of a pocket square...like a pocket square with utility?

I wear a jacket pretty much everyday so I guess I could fold one and use as a pocket square..no?

Top Bottom