What's new

What's up with this "Pokemon Go" thing?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A bevy of hipsters? Oh, I always thought it was an annoyance of hipsters.. thanks for setting me straight. :blink:

I have to agree with you. Although my use of bevy is technically correct in terms of its definition, it's usually applied to something good, as in a bevy of beauties.

How about a horde of hipsters instead?

I have to agree with you. Although my use of bevy is technically correct in terms of its definition, it's usually applied to something good, as in a bevy of beauties.

How about a horde of hipsters instead?

Indeed. And I love your new haircut. Quite chic and it goes so well with the overalls.

And if you're Scottish a bevvy is something different altogether.

My wife and I went out for a bike ride and noticed the town square where we live was full of people looking at their phones. We usually will take a break in the square and sit on a bench before we head home. On this day there was no room in the square and the kids looked they had not seen the sun since birth. At first we though it was geocaching but soon found out is was Pokeman. I guess its good that people get out, but one of the nice things is to get away from phones and TV.

A friend of mine has a niece that works in a nursing home. On the white board a staff member wrote, " We don't pay you to play Pokemon we pay you to work, put your phone away"

Legion

Staff member
$13700067_10210105317332154_2443229821450940078_n.jpg

How are the locations generated? If it's at a park or mall or somewhere public, good for getting people out and about. What happens when it's own private property? I personally wouldn't take it too well to look out and find a bunch of people milling around my back yard.

Legion

Staff member
How are the locations generated? If it's at a park or mall or somewhere public, good for getting people out and about. What happens when it's own private property? I personally wouldn't take it too well to look out and find a bunch of people milling around my back yard.

It's your God given right to defend your Pokemon on your own property!

I am not a lawyer. It may be illegal in some areas to shoot people stealing Pokemon. YMMV.

All of the stops and gyms in the Pokémon world were transferred over from the Ingress database. Ingress was initially populated by their team by data mining google for public interest places. Things like Churches, Historical sites, Landmarks (like water towers), etc. Eventually they opened it up for user submitted sites. But there were many guidelines of what could and couldn't be a portal site. They all had to be approved, before they became portals. So far, this database is the only source for locations in the pokemon game. There is no way to add them by users at this time.

It'll die out once the hype wears down and people are tired of sinking money into a game that never ends.
I doubt it. I played Ingress, which was pretty fun, but didn't have the appeal to kids that Pokémon does, and it wasn't widely known. Word about it spread only by word of mouth, pretty much. Now Pokémon Go is being talked about on the news and just about everyone has at least heard of it. The instant popularity of it is just going to cause game makers to make new and better Augmented Reality games, and cause smart phone makers to up their game as well by making phones better suited to play these games (like adding 3D cameras). This game may go away eventually, but the phenomenon likely wont.

The guys at work do this all night. Probably not good that it's all the Security Guard's are running around paying attention too, but oh well. I say let them play. MAYBE they'll find something interesting out here in the real world and drop the phone for awhile?

I have a 34yo co-worker who is heavy into "Magic: The Gathering." He was also hooked on Ingress, and now he's playing that Pokemon:Go game. I suspect he planted some characters at a particular corner he likes to hang in, because yesterday, I saw a teenager in the same spot getting very excited about something going on with his smartphone.

Not everyone is so happy with the game. The U.S. Holocaust Museum has banned it.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36780610

Other businesses have put up signs to the effect:
"Pokemon: Go is for paying customers only."

I grew up in the original Pokemon generation, but never played it. From my friends, I see that it's simply grown-ups trying to re-live and enjoy a childhood that has passed them by.

I grew up in the original Pokemon generation, but never played it. From my friends, I see that it's simply grown-ups trying to re-live and enjoy a childhood that has passed them by.

Wow dude, are you angry much? Just because you are too cool for school doesn't mean it isnt fun.

Top Bottom