What's new

Black Sails

Seemed appropriate...

$20160723_194914.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm sitting on about 4lbs+ of various blending tobaccos. I was going to give it a shot at making some homemade blends sometime soon. If I can manage to build a press this weekend, then I'll join you guys in your nautical nuttiness.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm sitting on about 4lbs+ of various blending tobaccos. I was going to give it a shot at making some homemade blends sometime soon. If I can manage to build a press this weekend, then I'll join you guys in your nautical nuttiness.
Now I have the SpongeBob SquarePants song in my head- "if nautical nonsense be something you wish..."

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It should. Since both burley & latakia are fairly dry, I'll need to use a binding agent of some sort. Distilled water would work, but I think a splash of rum would probably be more appropriate. :001_cool:

Is there a general rule of thumb for how much liquid to add per quantity of tobacco?

While I don't hate the stuff, I'm not crazy about rum, so I wasn't sure what to pickup. I do like Cognac, though. So, I figured that I'd go the French Voyager route and use some Hennessey. Thinking about it now, I should have gone with Courvoisier. Which, I find it to be a bit sweeter than Hennessey.

Is there a general rule of thumb for how much liquid to add per quantity of tobacco?

While I don't hate the stuff, I'm not crazy about rum, so I wasn't sure what to pickup. I do like Cognac, though. So, I figured that I'd go the French Voyager route and use some Hennessey. Thinking about it now, I should have gone with Courvoisier. Which, I find it to be a bit sweeter than Hennessey.

I say go with what you like. There is no wrong answer. I used a martini mister to spray, but I don't think that's necessary. I don't have a set "X liquid per Y tobacco", I just went by texture. You want it to feel just a little too moist to smoke - if you're doing 8 oz batches, probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an oz of booze. But that's not a hard & fast rule.

I say go with what you like. There is no wrong answer. I used a martini mister to spray, but I don't think that's necessary. I don't have a set "X liquid per Y tobacco", I just went by texture. You want it to feel just a little too moist to smoke - if you're doing 8 oz batches, probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an oz of booze. But that's not a hard & fast rule.

Make mine....(hic)... a double! :a54::sailor:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Are we there yet? :biggrin:

How's the vacation going, Price? Did you see that the guy who played Mr. Lebowski (David Huddleston) died?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Price is on vacation? :w00t:

Where to? I'm sure it may not be seafaring as that is your work.

To keep in line with the tread...kinda sorta...the only pirate territory I've been even close to is Galveston, New Orleans, Pensacola, Savannah, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. I have been to the cheesy tourist stuff like Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop in N.O.L.A. for drinks several times...dang that place is dark inside. When I was living in Savannah I also ate at The Pirate's House ...where Captain Flint died. :biggrin1:

Details and pics. of the trip there Price. :001_smile

Price is on vacation? :w00t:

Where to? I'm sure it may not be seafaring as that is your work.

To keep in line with the tread...kinda sorta...the only pirate territory I've been even close to is Galveston, New Orleans, Pensacola, Savannah, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. I have been to the cheesy tourist stuff like Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop in N.O.L.A. for drinks several times...dang that place is dark inside. When I was living in Savannah I also ate at The Pirate's House ...where Captain Flint died. :biggrin1:

Details and pics. of the trip there Price. :001_smile

Well, I was back home in NOLA for a few days visiting family (and smoking, and consuming rather irresponsible quantities of Scotch). It's been probably 25 years since I've been to Lafitte's, but the place does have exactly the right ambience for a thread like this.

Incidentally, I just arrived back in San Diego today to find my Latakia waiting for me (along with 750g of St. James Flake). Next step is to modify the tobacco press for the smaller quantity of this experiment. I also came back to a list of things SWMBO wants done, so I might not get it done this weekend, but the Black Death is coming.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I was back home in NOLA for a few days visiting family (and smoking, and consuming rather irresponsible quantities of Scotch). It's been probably 25 years since I've been to Lafitte's, but the place does have exactly the right ambience for a thread like this.

Incidentally, I just arrived back in San Diego today to find my Latakia waiting for me (along with 750g of St. James Flake). Next step is to modify the tobacco press for the smaller quantity of this experiment. I also came back to a list of things SWMBO wants done, so I might not get it done this weekend, but the Black Death is coming.
..$image.jpg

Top Bottom