What's new

Black Sails

Okay, so now that I am caught up on my Black Sails episodes (ex-Navy Shellback, I think I would go to hell if I didn't watch), I have some observations that I would like to share with my fellow Brown Leafers.

First and foremost is the pipe smoking. Season one, the pipe smoking was prolific. Almost every episode had someone smoking a pipe in it. Season two, I don't think there was one scene, and season three it wasn't until the 9th episode where there was someone smoking a pipe. It was a long clay tavern pipe. It was a good looking pipe.

What I don't get is that it is clearly stated that tobacco is one of the cash crops that America is built on and the pirates not only used it for themselves, they sold it to less than scrupulous fences for cash. There are scenes that take place in tobacco barns for crying out loud. So why the change? Did some one say "Whoa, there is WAAAAY too much pipe smoking going on here"?

Second observation: Every time I watch an episode I get a Pavlovian response. I crave a bowl of Escudo, Navy Flake, Salty Dogs, Rum Twist, or any other tobacco that either pays tribute to the sailors of yore or is attributed to the iron men on wooden ships.

Just the observations from a crusty old salt. Any other fans?

Not caught up myself (season 1 was pretty legit, just haven't found the time to catch up yet). Here's something someone posted that put me in the mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
A little more info I found on the "*****" of tobacco.. link

I've not seen Black Sails, but I'm hoping to find it streaming somewhere.. sounds like a good show.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
A little more info I found on the "*****" of tobacco.. link

I've not seen Black Sails, but I'm hoping to find it streaming somewhere.. sounds like a good show.

You can stream it through Starz, which you can add to Amazon Prime for $8/month.

The whole history of sailors and tobacco is fascinating to me. It is funny to think that these poor guys (and yes, these guys were severely over worked and grossly mistreated) concocted a method of preserving their precious leaf and we are able to enjoy it today.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The whole history of sailors and tobacco is fascinating to me. It is funny to think that these poor guys (and yes, these guys were severely over worked and grossly mistreated) concocted a method of preserving their precious leaf and we are able to enjoy it today.
I fondly (but vaguely) recall the passage in Moby Dick about how Starbuck would load all his pipes for the watch.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I fondly (but vaguely) recall the passage in Moby Dick about how Starbuck would load all his pipes for the watch.

Yep. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what I should get to have a "Stubb pipe." I finally settled on a Dawnmist black cutty. Haven't watched "Black Sails" yet, but it looks like a cool show.

I think there are some good references in Kidnapped as well as Treasure Island as well.

Yep. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what I should get to have a "Stubb pipe." I finally settled on a Dawnmist black cutty. Haven't watched "Black Sails" yet, but it looks like a cool show.

Very cool. I will have to check it out. I don't have a cutty in my collection........yet! :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I read The Circle by David Poyer during my first stint of pipes. They gave the blending ratios of what the captain smoked, and I had Tobacco Lane make it up. I remember the guy saying "Are you sure about this?" It was awful. I am trying to google what the blend was.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I read The Circle by David Poyer during my first stint of pipes. They gave the blending ratios of what the captain smoked, and I had Tobacco Lane make it up. I remember the guy saying "Are you sure about this?" It was awful. I am trying to google what the blend was.

Found it- 2/3 Latakia, 1/3 burley, and a touch of Cavendish.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Yeah, that is what I said at the time. Now that I have grown to like Latakia, I ought to revisit it. I would have to do it myself now, as the only thing I can find local are cigar shops.

on edit: I hate to buy a bunch of blending tobacco just to give it a try. Of course, I could always save the left over Latakia to kick some other stuff up a notch.

Yeah, that is what I said at the time. Now that I have grown to like Latakia, I ought to revisit it. I would have to do it myself now, as the only thing I can find local are cigar shops.

on edit: I hate to buy a bunch of blending tobacco just to give it a try. Of course, I could always save the left over Latakia to kick some other stuff up a notch.

I've got plenty of burley on hand. Gladly donate some in the name of science. You can get blending tobaccos from P&C in quantities as small as one ounce.

Had to be done...

Top Bottom