What's new

1st Brush Restoration

I returned from spending the day with my parents, building a brush( different thread) and I also picked up my grandfather's/dads old brush. I think it is horsehair, but it is really difficult to tell. I had hoped to clean it and use it. After reading a B&B thread on cleaning, I started the cleaning process, however, the poor brush shed so bad I ceased after just the Dawn dish soap wash(Dad warned me that it had been shedding when he stopped using it). I took a few pictures and decided a restoration was the best course of action.

If anyone can help me identify the knot type that would be great, otherwise I may use the other badger knot I have. There are no markings on the handle.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
It looks to me like a boar knot with colouring to make it look (a little bit) like badger. I would just use the badger knot you've got, if it fits. If not, just get whatever type of knot you prefer from one of a number of vendors, like Whipped Dog and TGN.

Go with the type of knot you like. I'm not a fan of boar & was given a NOS Ever-Ready C40 which I promptly stuck a TGN finest in after only a few uses.

Top Bottom