What's new

Paddle Stop vs. Hanging Strop

Okay Gents have a question, I currently have several quality strops ( TM Fast Bridal, TM Notovan, Scruppleworks Oil tanned and Kanayama) I have been kicking around the idea of getting a paddle strop and am wondering if there is any advantage to adding one like what are the Pros vs Cons in comparing the two and if adding a paddle strop is a good idea who makes a quailty one.

I've never gotten anywhere NEAR as good a strop off a paddle as off a hanging... EXCEPT on a Kamisori... but I chalk that up to me not being competent at stropping a Kamisori on a hanging strop. I suspect the paddle strop doesn't contact the edge nearly as strongly with the pressure I use. I tried using more, but at a level of pressure I'm comfortable with, paddles are just far less efficacious.

I use a loom strop when travelling or when using a pasted strop, slackened a little bit, so that it acts like a hanging strop.

That said, if you are getting good results with hanging strops there's no real reason to change, and you can always charge a sanded piece of vegetable tanned leather with abrasive and use it hanging.

Edit: If you can afford it, one loom strop I would recommend is the Tensio adjustable strop. I have the poor man's version which sort of snaps into place, and it's great, but I would love to have this one with the adjustable tensioning. The beauty of the Tensio loom strop series is that you can cut your own leather pieces to fit it, following their specifications. Thus it becomes a little universe of stropping in itself.

Last edited:
I picked up a paddle for travel, but it has been collecting dust since I picked up a travel case for a hanging strop.

I use a loom strop when travelling or when using a pasted strop, slackened a little bit, so that it acts like a hanging strop.

That said, if you are getting good results with hanging strops there's no real reason to change, and you can always charge a sanded piece of vegetable tanned leather with abrasive and use it hanging.

Edit: If you can afford it, one loom strop I would recommend is the Tensio adjustable strop. I have the poor man's version which sort of snaps into place, and it's great, but I would love to have this one with the adjustable tensioning. The beauty of the Tensio loom strop series is that you can cut your own leather pieces to fit it, following their specifications. Thus it becomes a little universe of stropping in itself.

I do like this one and it's either the same strop or same design https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/strops/276-strop-it-tensio-adjustable-loom-strop.html

TI makes good paddle strops. Advantages are the users call. I have a couple, including the Kanayama - love them. I have shorter ones for travel, I'd like to make a long one for here at home to hang on the wall next to the sink where I shave.

I will look at TI strops, I have several hanging strops but the paddle/loom strops catch my eye and for no other reason than different.

I'm following this discussion closely. I'm considering purchasing this as a paddle strop http://www.pinewoodforge.com/strop.html . It is intended for wood carving tools, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for razors without compound. The maker is currently on holiday, and I plan to ask questions when he returns next month. The price seems very reasonable, and Google turned up a few favorable reviews from wood carvers.

Perhaps this may not be an issue of pros and cons. Sounds like you need to get one or two different paddles on the way and see what they have to offer. I don't think you'll want to give them back if you had them.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I made a few paddle strops out of oak bed slats and nice leather. I use them for finishing, not maintenance. After a hone, I step through CrOx, 50K, 100K, and 200K diamond paddles and then finish on a plain leather one.

Daily maintenance stropping is on the hanging strops.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm following this discussion closely. I'm considering purchasing this as a paddle strop http://www.pinewoodforge.com/strop.html . It is intended for wood carving tools, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for razors without compound. The maker is currently on holiday, and I plan to ask questions when he returns next month. The price seems very reasonable, and Google turned up a few favorable reviews from wood carvers.

That may have the suede side out. Check with him to see. I prefer the finished side out for razors and suede for woodworking tools.

That may have the suede side out. Check with him to see. I prefer the finished side out for razors and suede for woodworking tools.

Which side is out is one of the questions I'll be asking him when he returns to the country. He makes them himself, so I might be able to request finished side out.

Top Bottom