What's new

Open Comb Micromatic

I bought four of these as a lot off of a prominent auction site that rhymes with Re-Spray, on the assumption that when buying sight-unseen TTO razors from an estate auction re-seller "as is", four razors might give me one that is usable. (Also, being me, why buy one razor when you could buy four?) Now I have four very usable OCMM - three chrome and one brass. People aren't kidding when they say these things are built like tanks. The mechanisms are somewhere between 75 and 100 years old, and still in perfect working order. The only issue is some perfectly expected plating loss here and there.

What really gets me about the thing is that I was expecting an aggressive monster of a razor, and while I can certainly feel blade on my face, I haven't had so much as a single weeper from it yet, never mind nicks and cuts. I'm sure it is coming, but when compared to some of my more aggressive DE razors, this thing is a pussycat. I can't get over how easy it is to get a really close shave with these razors even when I have never used a SE before.

You LOSERS have been keeping secrets here. Gotta stop. :biggrin1:

No secrets, just folks willing to listen when it's their time. The MMOC is my favorite of the SE razors and definitely ranks in the top 5 of all my razors. Stick around, you might learn more.

SE razors give a close comfortable shave when handled properly.

I am surprised that there are not more men using them.

Sourcing blades is a bit harder.

I bought 10 boxes (1,000 blades) of PTFE coated SE blades from a medical supply house so I am all set

Mick

proxy.php

proxy.php

No secrets, just folks willing to listen when it's their time. The MMOC is my favorite of the SE razors and definitely ranks in the top 5 of all my razors. Stick around, you might learn more.

I agree re: the OCMM. It's a treasure!

Out of curiosity what would your top 5 be?

Also the picture above shows Hold Flat Against Face on the head. None of my 5 or 6 MM's have that imprint. Is there a story about that???

Last edited:

If we told everyone how good SEs are, everyone would want one.

I love SE, but not the Micromatics. I much prefer the 1914 and 1924 and the 1912 and Damaskeene variants. So there you go, another rabbit hole to treewhale your way down!

I know that wasn't directed at me, but I think I will answer anyway.

I have avoided a lot of RAD despite my purchase-y tendencies, so I have a somewhat limited view of Razors.

1. RR Stealth Slant (Pre-Release Model)

2. Merkur 37C (Old Model) (Piffed this one and bought a new 39c which I don't like nearly as much)

3. 1963 Gillette Travel Tech head on a Razorock Jaws handle.

4. OCMM (Lord help me, it is a pretty nice razor)

5. Razorock Old Type - I would have to try to cut myself with this it is so mild. Perfect for days when you are considering backsliding into cartridge razors.

I had been aware of the many reports about how aggressive the MMOC was, and was apprehensive of getting one. I had shaved with a Clog-Pruf, but only found the shave to be so-so. Finally, I saw an very nice-looking MMOC for a reasonable price, and got it. The shave was a revelation--it did not seem any more aggressive than most of my other DEs, SEs, and Injectors, and it gave a great shave. I believe the secret is in the shave angle. You must keep the blade angle as shallow as possible. The only down-side is that it seems to go through blades faster than my other SEs.

I don't think my angle is all that shallow, it certainly isn't the cap sitting against my face. I am just using the audible feedback to tell me when I am at a steep enough angle to cut whisker, and that is working a treat. Loud razors rule.

Welcome to the club of LOSERS my friend. I haven't had the opportunity as of yet to shave with a OCMM but have used a ClogPruf and I enjoy the shaves I get with it tremendously. I must say my favorite though is my Damaskeene loaded with a NOS Gem Double Life Blade
a close second would be the G Bar

LOSERS KEEP SHAVING :thumbup1:

yup, small razor but by its heft you cant tell they didn't cheapen out when they produced it. I do like my Gem razor even though I had only 6-7 shaves with it

People aren't kidding when they say these things are built like tanks. The mechanisms are somewhere between 75 and 100 years old, and still in perfect working order. The only issue is some perfectly expected plating loss here and there.

I would have really been surprised if any of them would not have worked. They are almost solid brass sticks that hold razors. :)

I bought four of these as a lot off of a prominent auction site that rhymes with Re-Spray, on the assumption that when buying sight-unseen TTO razors from an estate auction re-seller "as is", four razors might give me one that is usable. (Also, being me, why buy one razor when you could buy four?) Now I have four very usable OCMM - three chrome and one brass. People aren't kidding when they say these things are built like tanks. The mechanisms are somewhere between 75 and 100 years old, and still in perfect working order. The only issue is some perfectly expected plating loss here and there.

What really gets me about the thing is that I was expecting an aggressive monster of a razor, and while I can certainly feel blade on my face, I haven't had so much as a single weeper from it yet, never mind nicks and cuts. I'm sure it is coming, but when compared to some of my more aggressive DE razors, this thing is a pussycat. I can't get over how easy it is to get a really close shave with these razors even when I have never used a SE before.

There are no photos of these mystery razors! 😬

They are excellent razors. I actually think the blade feel is what helps to prevent weepers and cuts. The SE Razor that I had the most trouble learning how to use was a G-Bar. It is the most mild SE I own, and has very little blade feel.

What blades are you using?

They are excellent razors. I actually think the blade feel is what helps to prevent weepers and cuts. The SE Razor that I had the most trouble learning how to use was a G-Bar. It is the most mild SE I own, and has very little blade feel.

What blades are you using?

Gem PTFE stainless. I have used this razor about 11 times now, and it has rapidly displaced a lot of others, to the point that it may well become my daily driver. It shaves extremely close and I have yet to have a nick, cut or weeper. The auditory feedback makes it exceedingly easy to get the blade angle right.

I`ve been using my OCMM for one year (July 2015) of almost daily shaving now and I am so glad to be using it! Touch wood I have not had any weepers or nicks as of yet of about one years worth of shaves. No real secret about them but I do regret saving this one as a last SE razor to be used due to its notoriety as being an aggressive but it isn`t for me but what it is ..is it shaves really good and close and therefore I don`t need to do as many passes or touch ups. Glad you like your OCMM and do enjoy!

I agree re: the OCMM. It's a treasure!

Also the picture above shows Hold Flat Against Face on the head. None of my 5 or 6 MM's have that imprint. Is there a story about that???

Old thread but since you asked, it appears to be a pretty rare 1932 variant issued with some Colgate-Palmoiive sets such as this one I just landed. My other C-P set has no engraving, nor is it pictured in promotional material I've found.

IMG_20190316_130813.jpg

Top Bottom