What's new

New to straight edge, I have questions, looking for recommendations

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My feathers aren't ruffled, so you are OK there. If you would like to donate your modified GD, I'd be more than happy to include it in one of our boxes. We will soon have 3 boxes (end of next week or before) and if this continues to gain interest, I have no problem starting a 4th box. This opportunity affords a newbie an opportunity to try many styles, which I think we all agree is a good thing and may keep the razor of their choosing. That's a lot of free razors I'm giving away to help guys get started. I want those who have been around B&B for a while to join in and help by donating razors, tipping off new users, etc. So thanks for the offer of a GD, I have a member in Japan who tried and didn't like SR shaving and he is donating 2 razors to the cause. All I want is for newbies to have the best chance at success and maybe help them avoid the pitfalls most of us encounter. The honers on this site are volunteering to keep the razors sharp so the shaves will all be top notch. I just want this to be fun. The site members have even helped developed a nice "starters guide" to help the beginners with a smooth start.

OK I'll pin this one tonight and check my junk box for any other likely candidates, and get the swag in the mail tomorrow if you PM me an address and name to ship to.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Be sure to let them know the risks of sharing a razor with others and the chance of spreading disease or will you be using an autoclave or other approve sterilization before each member recieves it? You are responsible if they catch something .

Germs dont exactly thrive on clean, dry steel. I use Clubman to "sterilize" my razors incoming and outgoing, and that is probably overkill. I have some barbacide somewhere but space is at a premium on my tiny little boat so I have not even bothered to set up a soaking jar. I have never heard of anyone getting a disease from a clean and dry straight razor. It might also be mentioned that those Fusion cartridges are not sterile, either.

Germs dont exactly thrive on clean, dry steel. I use Clubman to "sterilize" my razors incoming and outgoing, and that is probably overkill. I have some barbacide somewhere but space is at a premium on my tiny little boat so I have not even bothered to set up a soaking jar. I have never heard of anyone getting a disease from a clean and dry straight razor. It might also be mentioned that those Fusion cartridges are not sterile, either.
You willing to use a razor behind someone with HIV or other diseases? How about an IV drug user?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Back on topic, [MENTION=69854]Morik[/MENTION] have you found a starter strop yet?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You willing to use a razor behind someone with HIV or other diseases? How about an IV drug user?

How would I know that I haven't already done so? If you do a bit of research you will see that HIV virus can't survive long outside a human host. Otherwise, getting bit by a mosquito would be a very scary thing. If the blade is clean and dry, and has been so for some time, it is just as safe as a new razor. With any reasonable attempt at disinfection, it is safer. There is a lot of paranoia going around about vintage razors that is misplaced or overblown. That's a good thing, though. It probably helps keep those vintage prices down a bit.

I feel pretty safe, cleaning, maybe buffing or even sanding a blade, and splashing on some AS.

How would I know that I haven't already done so? If you do a bit of research you will see that HIV virus can't survive long outside a human host. Otherwise, getting bit by a mosquito would be a very scary thing. If the blade is clean and dry, and has been so for some time, it is just as safe as a new razor. With any reasonable attempt at disinfection, it is safer. There is a lot of paranoia going around about vintage razors that is misplaced or overblown. That's a good thing, though. It probably helps keep those vintage prices down a bit.

I feel pretty safe, cleaning, maybe buffing or even sanding a blade, and splashing on some AS.
Lets just use hepatitus c as an example. It can live on a razor or nail clippers four days and it takes 2 days for a razor to go coast 2 coast and 2 people to share it. I'm not saying everyone who shares a razor will get hepatitus but I dont want to be the one and we both know people don't follow directions well. Then there is stuff like MRSA and a all kinds of stuff we know nothing about and being discovered constantly. If you want to get a every razor back and assume it has hepatitus or other bacteria or virus and steralize accordingly before sending out and finance that project be my guest. I applaud your dedication!

...... it takes 2 days for a razor to go coast 2 coast ...

WOW Scott, I can't ship to another county in my state in 2 days :laugh: My wife is an RN who is an expert on infectious diseases. Her opinion is that the odds are extremely low that sharing a blade that has been cleaned with soap and water will transmit infection. Wiping off the blade with a disposable alcohol wipe makes the risk almost nill. She is a fanatic about hand washing and disinfecting. She also knows that I have over 150 straight razors that someone used before me that I shave with daily and isn't concerned. Let the user beware, if anyone is afraid of infection, just take the steps to negate it. "No known pathogens can survive after being immersed in alcohol for a full 10 minutes". I hope this helps.

WOW Scott, I can't ship to another county in my state in 2 days :laugh: My wife is an RN who is an expert on infectious diseases. Her opinion is that the odds are extremely low that sharing a blade that has been cleaned with soap and water will transmit infection. Wiping off the blade with a disposable alcohol wipe makes the risk almost nill. She is a fanatic about hand washing and disinfecting. She also knows that I have over 150 straight razors that someone used before me that I shave with daily and isn't concerned. Let the user beware, if anyone is afraid of infection, just take the steps to negate it. "No known pathogens can survive after being immersed in alcohol for a full 10 minutes". I hope this helps.
the odds are very low indeed but do you want to be the one? And your assuming that all people will follow the guidelines which we know isn't going to happen. I don't want to seem negative I think its great to have a way for people to try straights without buying them I just think there needs to be a clear set of procedures to be followed and not left up up to chance.
When a shave ready straight is $15-$20 shipped and you spend $5.20-$13.60 per person for them to try them plus the time cleaning and stropping before sending each time it seems buying one is a better value to the member.
Has anyone considering how it will stay stropped on its passaround?
I just wanted to gie all something to think about thats all. Good luck with it my friends.

the only hygenic solution:

proxy.php

Although I agree with the sentiment of having the razors being safe for others to use, where does a person draw the line? I think that the people who sign up for the PIF realize that they should take it upon themselves to decide and likely have.
I think I'd rather use an "unknown" razor than a used cream/soap!

Doc47 is obviously a stand-up guy, so I see this great!!!!!

There's a member here that sells shave ready gold dollars for as good of a price as you'll find, and he includes a year of free honing. I always recommend starting with a GD, then once you upgrade to a better razor use the GD to practice honing. Scott is an extremely accomplished honer and his coticule edges are buttery smooth. You can buy his razors here https://www.panjo.com/buy/on-salesh...raight-razor-free-honing-for-12-months-314387
thank you for the information. I was reading the thread today, I saw your post, and I ordered one. It's going to be my first straight razor.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
thank you for the information. I was reading the thread today, I saw your post, and I ordered one. It's going to be my first straight razor.
Good deal, congrats on your first straight! Looking forward to hearing how you get along with it.

Gd is perfect. Nice beefy razor. I have 100 straights of all types. They all shave as well as they are honed and gds in there as well. At the end of the day its a tool and.you can get just a good.shave with a gd as anything else imo. I havent found "it" yet. You know the magical razor. Lol.

Top Bottom