What's new

Thinking of a dremel.

I really like just using whatever tools I can find to do restorations. Something about just using my hands and some creative thinking to get the job done appeals to me. Unfortunately it doesn't appeal to my hands any more. Years of sports and just general stupid guy stuff have me feeling my 50 year old hands. Growing up, any time you hurt a hand/finger, arm, leg, jaw, knee, shoulder, pretty much anything, the question was, "Can you move it"? If you could then you were fine. :laugh: You only sought medical advice if something was bent the wrong way. As a result my hands aren't what they used to be. Is something like this worth it:
https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4000-2-30-120-Volt-Variable/dp/B002L3RUVG or is that overkill? Any advice is appreciated.

Also do you folks mainly use the Dremel for knot removal and enlarging/deepening holes? What other cool things (brush related) can I do with one? Thanks.

Kurt

Last edited:
I've only ever used a more basic Dremel (one borrowed from a friend, so I don't know its model number) for knot removal and cleaning out the gunk left behind, and it's done all I asked of it. In a couple of cases I would have been hard pushed to do the task without it. I suppose one could be used for polishing, with the appropriate head, but nothing of the sort was supplied with the Dremel I used, and I didn't think it worth the time it would have required to find one.

Definitely not overkill. Dremels are just about the handiest tool you can have. The 4000s multiple rpm setting is well worth the 2 setting on the cheaper one. It is absolutely worth it. I've used mine for knot removal and lots of other non shaving related projects. It probably spins too fast to polish or sand your brush down so I'd steer clear of that. I don't think there's anything more handy for knot removal at all.

I have a generic Dremel from Harbor Freight.

Same basic thing. Power rotary tool makes short work of stuff.

All of the Dremel accessories work with my rotary tool. It cost a fair bit less than the one you linked. It's probably not as nice, but it does everything I need.

Dremels are great for brush work. Just be careful. Their high RPM's can do a lot of cutting or material removal in a very short period of time. Also, the high RPM's can put a lot of heat into whatever you are working.

Thanks for the info. guys. Think I'll pick one up. I'm sure I'll find other uses for it too. Anything that makes knot/epoxy/gunk removal easier sounds good to me.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The big red knockoff from HF is a real brute. For such a cheap price, it is very rugged and sturdy. I now use a belt sander for much of what I once used a Dremel for, but I still use it a lot for polishing. Cloth wheel and diamond paste in a Dremel can do miracles.

I have have had the variable speed model for many years. I cant count the number of projects I used it on and the variable speed came in very handy many times.

The variable speed is a great option. If you make a lot of tool changes, or plan on using drill bits or other non-dremel tools, consider picking up the chuck to use in place of the collets.

For removing knots, I use small wood carving gouges. I do not like the dust created by the knots and Dremels. This is hand friendly as the gouges don't need to be held tight or pressed hard to slowly cut out chunks of bristles. (And to make larger hole enlargements, I prefer using an end mill and reamer - better control and not as dusty.)

As far as what to with your Dremel, besides restoring brushes, you could consider picking up some burrs in various sizes and work on pumpkin carving. Dremel owners neglect their pumpkin carving skills far too often.

I've had my same variable speed model Dremel since the mid 90's. Can't recommend one enough to anyone interested in building or modding things. Incredibly useful and versatile tool.

I'll second Mr Bob's recommendation for the drill chuck, and and add a recommendation of my own: a variable speed pedal controller. The pedal controller lets you vary the speed organically as you work, rather than being locked into a given speed between having to pause to adjust the switch. Of all the various bits and accessories I've accumulated for my Dremel over the years, the variable speed pedal is hands down the one I'd most strongly recommend to any Dremel owner.

What else to do with a Dremel, route the rosette channel in a guitar top, drill PCB's with a#71 drill bit.

All kinds of attachments available commercially and endless hacks to get a job done.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
dave

Thanks for all the extra info.. I still haven't pulled the trigger. I decided to pay off my credit cards with some extra cash. Not huge balances, but I don't like to have more than about $1000 in CC debt. Keep them clear for emergencies. I think a new dremel is about to enter emergency status.:biggrin1:

Well I went with the Black & Decker RTX 3 speed. Also got the Dremel keyless chuck. It fits on the B&D. Are there any bits that I'm definitely going to want to have? I'm just thinking brush restoration right now. I'll research anything else for other projects. I picked up a 2 pack of high speed cutters (#115) that look like they'll make short work of old knots. I also already have goggles and face masks. Any advice is welcome.

Good for you. Like a good knife, a man should have a Dremel-like tool. You will find all kinds of things to do with it.

I recommend that you buy a non-Dremel brand assortment of bits for sanding, grinding, drilling, polishing, etc. They can be had cheap and are usually cheaply made. But you will have access to all kinds of options, for things you don't know you need yet. It's handy, even if a given bit turns to a one-use product.

Then, you can buy better bits for those things that you know you will need regularly.

Best thing you could get mate. I got mine when 8200 first came out and it gets a lot of use but don't buy dremel bits they are way over priced as a member stated above get non-Dremel brand

Top Bottom