What's new

Shaving goods in Denmark / Copenhagen

Howdy, y'all. I will be directing a month-long study abroad program in Copenhagen this summer and would like to know what, if any, wetshaving goodies are readily available in Copenhagen (and more generally Denmark)? I'm not looking for anything too exotic or boutique-y, but rather the kinds of things readily available at shops like Matas or Føtex. (Or Magasin du Nord or Salling, at a stretch.) My travel kit this year is going to consist of a Speick stick and aftershave splash, a couple tucks of blades, a synthetic Omega brush, and probably a Merkur HD. That should get me through the month, but of course I'd like to come back with more than I left with....

Thanks,
Trent

Hi Trent

Check out two of my older posts.

They should have more than enough information to get you started ;-)

Post 1

Post 2

There's this place that make their own organic shaving soaps, creams etc.
They also have a nice selection of restored vintage razors and different brands of DE blades
I tried their soaps a few years ago and I'm sorry to say that they were awful.
Maybe they've improved their recipe since.
Let me know if you decide to check them out :)

In my opinion you should go to the Matas department at Frederiksberg Center called Men's Shop.
Anywhere else and they start charging extra for the same stuff.

Even better would be the danish webshop Proshave.
They are the suppliers of all the Matas Men's Shops and have a much greater selection than Matas.
Postal delivery is just a few days so it might very well be worth the wait :)

I hope you enjoy your stay in Copenhagen :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was there last year, and generally found slim picking.

There IS this one aftershave I thought was great, Esprit de Valdemar Fougere. 50DKK, around $10, at the local Fotex.

Also pictured, a soap stick from Den Gamle By (The Old Town), a folk museum/village. Interesting visit.

Here's my thread from last year:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/467699-Scandinavian-shaving-stuff?highlight=scandinavia

EDIT: You'd better pack enough blades. They had Gillette Silver Blues- for $10/a tuck- at that same Fotex. Far better spending same on the Fougere.

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Føtex and the regular Matas are lost causes. Not even the Pharmacies have anything good to offer.
Maybe a band-aid for an extreme weeper ;-)

Too bad I didn't spot your posts when they were relevant because there's quite a bit of shaving gear if you know where to look ;-)

If you follow the link to the proshave site from my previous post you'll have an idea about what to expect in a Matas for men.
The one in Copenhagen is packed with hardware and software. Mostly products from Italy, Germany and the UK.

What!? No!
Dude, not the steamed one...

You need to get the fried one, with "everything" ;-)
That'll be sliced pickles, ketchup, mustard, remoulde, fried and chopped onions.

That's how we do it :)

That, or a french hot dog with french dressing.
It might me called french but trust me, it's not ;-)

Hope to return, so.

I'd also urge OP to have a Danish hotdog with remoulde sauce and crunchy onions ...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/490906-Danish-Hot-Dogs?highlight=danish+hotdog

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What!? No!
Dude, not the steamed one...

There are many roads to Rome, or in this case, Aarhus ... that loaded dog is just like those we have here. The remoulade/crunchy onion thing, is unheard of here- and mighty tasty. Today's Vikings know what they are doing.

Except paying $10 for a tuck of GSBs- that's just painful. (Blue jeans were mighty $$$, too).

Just wish I could get another bottle of that after shave- whenever it runs out ... may take a while.

AA

Just wish I could get another bottle of that after shave- whenever it runs out ... may take a while.
Oh well, can't save them all ;-)

The exchange rate is something you'll especially notice when shopping in DK because the dollar will get mauled in the exchange.

You might get more DKK pr USD but you'll need significantly more to shop around.

That's why we danes love to buy stuff from the US. It's so much cheaper the other way around :)
Well, except for the fact that import fees usually double the cost of our online purchases...
Even then it's still slightly cheaper than buying certain things in DK.

I've seen that bottle a couple of times but I didn't realize it was a Danish product.

Apparently it's not only an aftershave, it's can also be used as a regular cologne and "hair tonic".
It seems barbers put it in their customers hair as a final touch after a haircut.

They actually have a whole range of scents and also a hair oil.

I'm afraid I'll have to go shopping now...

Some of the bigger Matas' carries the Prorasos Green line and some of Floris products. Of course Matas also carries their own shaving soap.

I wouldn't recommend Matas's own shaving soap.
It's cheap but it's also quite useless.
I've had better protection and lubrication from regular hand soap.

At 40+ DKK a pop you could buy four sticks of Arko at the local middle eastern grocery store (I was quite surprised to find that there).

I wouldn't recommend Matas's own shaving soap.
It's cheap but it's also quite useless.
I've had better protection and lubrication from regular hand soap.

At 40+ DKK a pop you could buy four sticks of Arko at the local middle eastern grocery store (I was quite surprised to find that there).

Hi Toni!

I'm proud to say that I love the Matas soap. It smells clean and nice, it gives me great lather with a comfortable post-shave feel. Not luxurious stuff, but it gets the job done!

Top Bottom