What's new

Proraso red soap reviews

Hi all,

I have the Proraso red soap. It's the first of the 'not on supermarket shelves' soaps that I have bought. I'm a noobie and wanted to know what everyone thinks of it. I've heard good things about the blue and green but I haven't heard much about the red.

Cheers.

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

I have the red, its the only Proraso I own. I really like it. I like the scent more than my TOBS Sandalwood but don't get as good a lather. I've used about about 20 times and have hardly made a dent in the tub so it should last a long time. For the price you can't go wrong.

I've got Proraso Red, White & Green Soaps.
All 3 are ok, but I prefer the Creams, especially White & Blue.

Having said all that, the Red Soap has pretty much the same performance as the White or Green Soaps, but has virtually no menthol tingle, and a very subtle, clean scent.
I prefer using it during the winter because it feels "warmer" on my face than the White (refreshing) & Green (cooling), which I prefer to use in summer.
It's very easy to face lather, if it's too thick, use more water, and fairly easy to bowl lather, if it's too runny use more product

All 3 of my Proraso Soaps are keepers, but I tend to mix them into a superlather with the Creams so I use less Cream to make the tubes last longer.

IMHO - Essentially, I'm a face latherer and would normally choose soap over cream every time, Proraso Creams are the exception to that rule.
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought all 4 Creams first, then tried one Soap, probably the White and just left it at that.
YMMV

I have the red, its the only Proraso I own. I really like it. I like the scent more than my TOBS Sandalwood but don't get as good a lather. I've used about about 20 times and have hardly made a dent in the tub so it should last a long time. For the price you can't go wrong.

I also have both Proraso red and TOBS sandelwood. My experience is similar in liking Prorasos scent better but contrary to you I prefer it's lather as well. TOBS creams are one of the few lathering products(either soaps or creams) that do not work for me though.

Besides the comparison with TOBS sandelwood I can recommend Proraso red. It has a nice earthy sandelwood scent and gets me close shaves. Two negatives about it are it's lack of slickness and I have had problems with getting enough lather after not using it for a long time because I have underestimated the amount of product needed.

I have the red & green soap and the white cream. All 3 are outstanding performers. Easy to lather, great & thick lather, slick with a great post shave feel. Amazing that these soaps & creams can be had for around $2 in Italian supermarkets.

I use the green & white during warmer months and the red during the cold months. But this is strictly my preference. The red scent is really nice. Matches up well with Old Spice AS or other with any sandalwood scented AS.

Have used both the red and green, To me, and I have read here on the forum that others have the same thought, if you open both a new red and green together they almost smell identical. Only after you have used the red for a number of shaves does it take on its own characterized scent of sandalwood. All in all both good performers

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Proraso Red is awesome - well done! You're probably not seeing much on it right now because it's considered more of a fall/winter scent. I certainly prefer it in the colder months. Right now is time for Green. However there's nothing wrong with using Red now, and if you enjoy sandalwood, then Red is one of the best. Enjoy!

Proraso Red is awesome - well done! You're probably not seeing much on it right now because it's considered more of a fall/winter scent. I certainly prefer it in the colder months. Right now is time for Green. However there's nothing wrong with using Red now, and if you enjoy sandalwood, then Red is one of the best. Enjoy!

It's winter here down under. I have been using the red soap for about 3 weeks now and really enjoy the smell. The amount of water required to soap took some getting used to as I have always used the gels and crap sold at Woolworths.

I think it's a great soap. I haven't used anything else besides gels so I didn't have the understanding that some seasoned pros have.

Any ideas about what to try next as one soap is just not enough!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It's winter here down under. I have been using the red soap for about 3 weeks now and really enjoy the smell. The amount of water required to soap took some getting used to as I have always used the gels and crap sold at Woolworths.

I think it's a great soap. I haven't used anything else besides gels so I didn't have the understanding that some seasoned pros have.

Any ideas about what to try next as one soap is just not enough!

Valobra hard soaps...to stay in the Italian vein.

Last edited:
I have been using Proraso Red for about a year now, and I really like the stuff. I used Van der Hagen before, and the Proraso lather is much thicker and does a better job. And it lasts forever!!! I have a little bit left from a tub that I started using April 1st! I chose the red over their other scents b/c I was hoping to find something similar to the old Old Spice that I used in m college days (Old Spice doesn't make it any more, to my knowledge). Suffice it to say that I've been very satisfied with the product....highly recommend it.

I have the red & green soap and the white cream. All 3 are outstanding performers. ... Amazing that these soaps & creams can be had for around $2 in Italian supermarkets. AS.

$2!?!? Does that store do mail order? If so, they might make a killing off some of the Proraso devotees I've noticed here. Cheapest I've seen them is on Amazon for ~ $10 for a 5.2 oz tube or tub. (The C.O. Bigelow - essentially, Proraso green - 5.2 oz tube I got @ Bath & Body Works was $10/tube or 3 for $20, but that's still a lot more than $2/container.)

Last edited:
I love Proraso red. I find the scent intoxicating, and it produces a quick, excellent lather. It's not the most moisturizing product I've ever used, so I use a moisturizer or balm when I'm finished.

$2!?!? Does that store do mail order? If so, they might make a killing off some of the Proraso devotees I've noticed here. Cheapest I've seen them is on Amazon for ~ $10 for a 5.2 oz tube or tub. (The C.O. Bigelow - essentially, Proraso green - 5.2 oz tube I got @ Bath & Body Works was $10/tube or 3 for $20, but that's still a lot more than $2/container.)

No they don't do mail order. It's a supermarket chain in Italy called Esselunga. In Italy Proraso is available almost everywhere where shaving products are sold.

If you google search Proraso, from time to time you will find some really good deals. Last December I purchased 2 Proraso Red 150g tubs from Jet.com for less than $9 w/free delivery.

eBay has them cheap enough as well

MacGyver

Walmart currently has Proraso Red for $7 w/free delivery.

After your post, I went to Walmart.com & found that ad. Thanks. But I don't think I've seen them in a local store. That online price is better than the $10 I saw on Amazon (& better than the $8.50 I found on e-bay, but those are still more than the $2 in Italy.)

I wonder if it would be worth it to take the wife on a trip to Italy so I can save less than $10 on a couple of containers....

Nice. Since reading this I have used a bit more water to see if it makes a better lather. And surprise surprise it did. Lots of good tips and info thanks for all who contributed to this thread.

MacGyver

All the Proraso soaps are excellent and work well for me. I use the red as part of my regular soap rotation. Just need to buy the matching AS.

Top Bottom