What's new

Making a brush

I mentioned in a prior post that I was making my own brush. After learning a hard lesson in polishing horn and nearly ruining a quality "finest badger" knot I thought I should seek the advice of you fine gentlemen.

1. What epoxy should I use and how much?
2. How much loft is recommended for a 24mm X 60mm knot?
3. Are there tutorials you recommend?

As a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying B&B. In my short time here I have experienced camaraderie reminiscent of my time in the Army. Thank you for working diligently to preserve some of the things our forefathers knew were necessary to a civil and harmonious society.
:thumbup:

If you are unsure of loft, may I suggest some simple hot glue gun action? It will hold the knot, but as long as you don't overdo it, you will be able to remove the knot if you don't like the loft. You can use coins under the knot to make it higher. Once you are satisfied, you can use epoxy for a permanent setting.

I mentioned in a prior post that I was making my own brush. After learning a hard lesson in polishing horn and nearly ruining a quality "finest badger" knot I thought I should seek the advice of you fine gentlemen.

1. What epoxy should I use and how much?
2. How much loft is recommended for a 24mm X 60mm knot?
3. Are there tutorials you recommend?

As a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying B&B. In my short time here I have experienced camaraderie reminiscent of my time in the Army. Thank you for working diligently to preserve some of the things our forefathers knew were necessary to a civil and harmonious society.
:thumbup:

Welcome to B&B [MENTION=111063]ccpastork[/MENTION]! There are plenty of gentlemen here that can help advise you. We'd love to see some pics of your project! I'm going to move this thread to our Brush Making sub forum.

Welcome to B&B @ccpastork! There are plenty of gentlemen here that can help advise you. We'd love to see some pics of your project! I'm going to move this thread to our Brush Making sub forum.

Thank you, i reposted it in the correct forum, however, I could not find the tool to delete this post/thread.

Please forgive my mistake, next time I will take more time searching the site for the proper forum. I sent a note to the admin asking them to delete my reposting in this forum(strike two).

i will send some pictures of the materials I am using for my second attempt.

No apology necessary sir. I should have checked for a new post from you before moving the first one. I could have merged them. I'm still learning this gig. :) Thanks!

Once again, thank you!

Here is a collage of the materials:
Starting over with a new Silvertip Badger knot, new piece of Gemsbok horn and a new piece of abalone shell to inlay in the end of the handle. It is my hope to finish it by Tuesday at which time I will submit some pictures.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 163
I was unable to complete it today. I will do the final sanding and polishing tomorrow and with any luck epoxy the knot. It should end up with with a 57mm loft (24mm knot). Since this is my first handmade brush I am not certain if the loft is too much...thoughts?

A good average know loft is 2x the diameter. So 48. A 60mm tall knot including the plug with a 12mm deep hole. Assuming the 60mm is accurate. Really any two part epoxy works. Be careful not to use to much. Don't want it to spill out onto the handle. Maybe about 1/16 to 1/8 inch deep. Insert it slow and give it a small twist.

Welcome to B&B @ccpastork! There are plenty of gentlemen here that can help advise you. We'd love to see some pics of your project! I'm going to move this thread to our Brush Making sub forum.

This is taking considerably longer than I expected. I am taking it much slower after ruining the first piece of horn.
Here are pictures of the brush with a dry fit of the knot. This is set at a 49mm loft on a 24mm knot. I like the look so far. A friend will be laser engraving the abalone base and then I will do one last polish before setting the knot.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom