What's new

The double monkstrap shoe

How do you gentlemen wear it? I've been looking at a burgundy pair that I really like, but I also want to wear them with suits and I just don't think double monks are formal enough for a suit.

Personally, I'm just not a fan of monkstrap. I think they were trendy for a few years, but are likely to fade quickly. I'd pick up a classic pair of lace-up shoes personally. If you're feeling adventurous, try to find some whole-cuts, which are made from a single piece of leather. I agree that they're probably not appropriate for a suit, although I've seen many men wear them with suits.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Patrick:
I'm 'seriously' thinking about getting 2 pairs of Monk-Strap shoes (great price, well-made and the 'perfect balance' between semi-formal and dress wear [I'll discard my Stacy Adam's]...in brown & black)! :thumbsup:

$Monk-Strap - Black.jpg $Monk-Strap - Brown.jpg

Read More: http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-deer-stags-colin-black-leather-p_id481265

“Shoetini: 4oz GQ fashion, 1oz cool attitude, a splash of indulgence and a twist of temptation. Shake over ice; strain into a trendy pair of shoes and garish with lots of [FONT=&amp]accessories”. CBJ[/FONT]

I see them with suits all the time.

I am more a fan of single-straps, but the design has been around for a long time and depending on the actual shoe which you choose they should be quite versatile.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't seem to get interested in them as they look a little clunky to me, but that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee.

These AE shoes look pretty nice:

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There's more than one way to wear a suit.

Not that I'd wear monk straps to a very formal occasion, but if you want to "dress it down a bit" for daily office wear, or a night on the town with a stylish lass, monk straps do very nicely indeed.

How do you gentlemen wear it?

On my feet.

:facep:

Patrick:
I'm 'seriously' thinking about getting 2 pairs of Monk-Strap shoes

View attachment 671873 View attachment 671874

Christopher, the ones you have pictured above ... compare them to this one below. To my eye, the one below has a much better look, specifically around the size of the buckles. You may want to bear that in mind when shopping for your own ones.

proxy.php

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I can't seem to get interested in them as they look a little clunky to me, but that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee.

Keith:
Say...now this shoe looks nice...do you have the link
proxy.php

$Shoeshine Image.jpg[FONT=&quot]"Shoes are our companions because they are a distinguishing part of our lives". CBJ[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I have the Mora 2 in black and I wear them mostly in business casual dress, but I see no issues with pairing them with a suit

Today is the last day of the AE seconds sale: www.shoebank.com

they are on the site, check it out and see if they have your size

If they have a nice silhouette and shine I would wear them with a suit.

I still remember being a young boy unable to tie his shoes properly, wearing buckle shoes instead. That memory has kept me away from monkstraps, but I have grown to consider them as a solid classic shoe option.

I've currently got a pair of double monks in rotation with my work suits. They stand out a bit more than the typical lace up, I've probably had more compliments on these than other shoes. A little variety is good.

I've got a pair of blue suede Alfred Sargent double monks that I wear occasionally. I only paid $100 for them, but I baby them since they are quite expensive normally. I've also got a pair of single monks. I prefer the doubles, but the singles are certainly sleeker.

$uploadfromtaptalk1438293294609.jpg

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Gent:
Now, I leaning towards the black & Dark brown), 'Cusano' double monk shoe from Kenneth Cole ($130) which boasts a classic
toe cap! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
proxy.php

By David Clough - Cigaraficiado - May/June 2016

"More daring than a Derby and less formal than an Oxford, the monk strap is a versatile dress shoe that pairs just as well with a bespoke suit as it does a blazer and jeans. Characterized by its distinct lack of laces, the monk strap opts for a simple strap-and-buckle design (single-buckle, double-buckle and even triple-buckle varieties abound) which typically can be tightened or loosened over the tongue of the shoe by adjusting one or more notches.

Legend has it that the monk-strap shoe descends from the footwear of European monks, whose sandals and closed-toe work shoes boasted the iconic strap-and-buckle fixture. Centuries later, the monk strap has become a powerful accessory in fashion and popular culture—even James Bond wears monk-strap shoes in the movies, looking stylish as he saves the world from terrorist threats. Quite the trajectory for a shoe of such humble origins—but simple design speaks to the instincts of timeless style, and the monk-strap shoe is decidedly here to stay.

The greatest strength of the monk strap is its adaptability, and different styles of monk are better suited to individual taste and preference. Hugo Boss (bottom left, $425) offers an edgier, more modern take on the monk with a double-buckle shoe in black with textured vamp. Cole Haan (middle left, $260) delivers a handsome double monk with broguing around the quarters and toe in slightly two-tone brown. For a sleek, understated look, consider the J.M. Weston (top, $895) single monk strap in black.
The black double monk from Kenneth Cole (top right, $195) boasts a classic toe cap, and finally, for those seeking an air of elegance, try the French calfskin pair from Stefano Bemer (bottom right, $1,500), luxuriously tanned a deep-red sangria and touting a single monk strap made from sharkskin.

Work Cited: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/monk-strap-shoes-18768

“Don’t step into the shoes of others: walk in your own”. CBJ

Last edited:
They are still popular here in Tokyo, I see them worn with suits or casual clothes. The closest shoe store to my home is John Lobb, and they have a couple of pairs on display. Personally, I prefer the single-strap style, and ordered a pair. They were perfectly made, and fit as well as you could like. On the other hand, they cost $2200.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They are still popular here in Tokyo, I see them worn with suits or casual clothes. The closest shoe store to my home is John Lobb, and they have a couple of pairs on display. Personally, I prefer the single-strap style, and ordered a pair. They were perfectly made, and fit as well as you could like. On the other hand, they cost $2200.

And to think they had a Payless Shoes half a block farther down the road.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

And to think they had a Payless Shoes half a block farther down the road.

Even though I'm a Nigerian prince . . . never mind.

It depends on the shoes, the suit and the man who wears them. With adequate shoes (e.g. Carmina, AE...), suit and a minimum of natural allure (something that is actually not natural at all but learnt in our early years, watching our father and mother), you should look more "formal" that many think.

Thanks to huge variety of canvas shoes I feel any mix works. I use to feel double monks work better with dress than casual, but now I think if you feel good in an outfit it's a great combo.

Top Bottom