What's new

Razor sticking to face - what's wrong?

I'd start learning lathering with a cream from a tube as it's the product i can easily measure out and be consistent from day to day in the amount of product used. One of the many variables is then eliminated and you can now focus on the amount of water being used and work time in building the lather.
dave

More water as said already. I never found glycerin to work and oils the same. I lather on the wet side, and its worked for me. What i've been doing lately is using a small spritzer spray bottle with hot water in it, And if I find a dry spot I use a spritz on that spot, and it has worked.

It's likely a lather issue. Remember these four keys:
- more product
- more water
- more time
- less glue

Seriously, just add a little more water during your lathering process, and also spend more time working it.

Last edited:
I tried today using Razorock XXX and an Omega boar brush in my lather bowl. Soaked the brush for 5 minutes then lightly shook out. Pic shows how loaded I make the brush. Whipped lather for several minutes adding water ever 30 seconds or so. Pic shows what I think was the best consistency. Thoughts?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 73
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 72
You have gotten some advice on using more water in your lather. In addition, be sure to wet your face before applying lather.

[MENTION=109850]Mitaccio[/MENTION] that looks pretty good, but the proof will be on your face, pics are never conclusive.

Have you tried Cremo? It's the slickest lather I've found.

However, I believe the lather probably is not the problem. More likely, the problem is connected with the razor, the blade, or even more likely the technique. Maybe too much pressure? Do you wash your face or otherwise hydrate your face before lathering? How often do you change your blade? How tough are your whiskers? Any of this issues could connect to the problem.

Although I have only performed 2 DE shaves so far, I am in the camp of more water...

First shave was as good as could be expected.... pretty uneventful, although it took about 40 min... a far cry from my 4 min multiblade cartridge. No suprises aside from noticing a closer shave result than I expected!

On my 2nd shave however, I tried to get my lather a little thicker, and it looked great and went on very well fist pass. 2nd pass I didn't really notice it had dried out slightly in my shave cup, so it went on fine, but with a dryer and much thinner layer of lather painted on 2nd pass, halfway through the shave my razor started to have a tough time sliding... lather felt "sticky", blade hopped, skipped and pulled... I had plenty of weepers and irritation after that shave.. not so fun.

Good lesson however on the importance of the lather... I will err on the side of too wet/foamy over too dry next time.

3rd time is a charm right?

Although I have only performed 2 DE shaves so far, I am in the camp of more water...

First shave was as good as could be expected.... pretty uneventful, although it took about 40 min... a far cry from my 4 min multiblade cartridge. No suprises aside from noticing a closer shave result than I expected!

On my 2nd shave however, I tried to get my lather a little thicker, and it looked great and went on very well fist pass. 2nd pass I didn't really notice it had dried out slightly in my shave cup, so it went on fine, but with a dryer and much thinner layer of lather painted on 2nd pass, halfway through the shave my razor started to have a tough time sliding... lather felt "sticky", blade hopped, skipped and pulled... I had plenty of weepers and irritation after that shave.. not so fun.

Good lesson however on the importance of the lather... I will err on the side of too wet/foamy over too dry next time.

3rd time is a charm right?
If in doubt, rub it between your fingertips. It should stay slick and stable for a while. If it disappears or crumbles, it ain't good!

Maybe prior to the shave try a face wash with a good glycerine soap. Discontinue the pre-shave oil. Then all the above regarding lather wetness and technique. What type of DE?

Top Bottom