What's new

Kevin Durant signs with Golden state Warriors.what?

I don't really think that Jordan was a better athlete. I think it looks that way because of the athleticism of the rest of the NBA during their respective eras. MJ was so far ahead of most of the league when he was in his prime, however, the modern NBA is full of guys like Jordan, not talking skill level just strictly physical abilities. The NBA and even the D League is full of guys that are 6'6 to 6'8 215-220 lb freak athletes, that wasn't the case when Jordan was in the league. MJ was a That's why I think Kobe should get more credit than he does, in his prime he was basically Jordan 2.0, 6'6 220 with more all around skill than other guys in the league at the time. The difference is that Kobe, while being a great athlete, probably wasn't the best athlete during his time, at least not by as large of a margin.

I mostly look at it like this, MJ was the best of his generation, Kobe was the best of his, and Lebron is the best now. I think its almost impossible to pick the G.O.A.T because they all played in different situations, though if I had to pick, I think Lebron edges it out. By the way I'm not bias, I have no allegiance to James or the Cavs, I'm actually a Kobe fan.
Good theory, I would add Dr J to that list. He was 6'6 and slamming from the fouline on the faces of teams twice his size

Doc slam on defense player of year Cooper, like he wasn't even there

$mdNqBG.gif

Doc throws it down nba legend Waltons throat

$tumblr_ns3rti5nAj1qeavfto1_400.gif

He took the whole Lakers team with a layup

$giFS.gif

Dr J is on my list of transitional athletes, basically guys that took you into the next generation. I like to put David Thompson there with Dr. J, Thompson did the first 360 and pioneered the alley-oop with Monty Towe while he was in college. Thompson could have been one of the best if it wasn't for drugs. My list of transitional players is Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, Dr J, Thompson, MJ, Shaq, and Lebron.

Dr J is on my list of transitional athletes, basically guys that took you into the next generation. I like to put David Thompson there with Dr. J, Thompson did the first 360 and pioneered the alley-oop with Monty Towe while he was in college. Thompson could have been one of the best if it wasn't for drugs. My list of transitional players is Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, Dr J, Thompson, MJ, Shaq, and Lebron.
DR J and David Thompson 1st nba dunk contest

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old Slam! magazine somewhere that has their list of the 50 greatest dunkers of all time. They talked about this dunk contest and said that Thompson was doing a dunk in practice where he had the ball cuffed in his elbow and jump up and put his arm over the rim and punched it through into the basket. He wasn't allowed to use it in the contest because the officials said it was more of a layup than a true dunk. They said that Wilt could do a similar dunk. I don't know how much of it is just urban legend passed on because it seems ridiculous that a guy barely 6'4 could do that, but I've personally seen Thompson in the mid-late 90's, well after he had retired, dunk in street shoes during a youth basketball seminar.

I have an old Slam! magazine somewhere that has their list of the 50 greatest dunkers of all time. They talked about this dunk contest and said that Thompson was doing a dunk in practice where he had the ball cuffed in his elbow and jump up and put his arm over the rim and punched it through into the basket. He wasn't allowed to use it in the contest because the officials said it was more of a layup than a true dunk. They said that Wilt could do a similar dunk. I don't know how much of it is just urban legend passed on because it seems ridiculous that a guy barely 6'4 could do that, but I've personally seen Thompson in the mid-late 90's, well after he had retired, dunk in street shoes during a youth basketball seminar.

spudd webb, 5'7 could dunk the heck out of a basketball.

Top Bottom