What's new

Split in Chopping Block

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
For some reason or another I have become the victim of a split in my chopping block. I'm not inclined to return it or put up a fuss although it's barely a year old. I'd just like to fill in the chasm and go from there. Any suggestions (keeping in mind this is a food prep surface)? I am inclined to fill the gap with Gorilla Glue Two Part Epoxy but if someone has a better idea I'm all for it

Last edited:
Hrm, I'll let someone else offer advice on how best to seal it, but I will point out that if you can get (or create) some sawdust from similar wood, mixing the sawdust into the epoxy will make the repair a lot less conspicuous without affecting its integrity.

Wow that stinks!

To have that pull apart like that most likely can only be from shrinkage of the wood. Have you sealed it on all sides with Mineral oil and beeswax?

Since it seems like its on the edge you can make a pass on a table saw and remove the damaged section. Epoxy will work but can be tough on knives.

I'd be concerned from a food safety perspective and continued changes to the wood.

If you can figure a way to seal it to keep food bits out, and the dried epoxy in, give it a shot.

Personally, I like plastic OXO boards as I can pop them in the dishwasher without fear. Admittedly, not as nice looking.

Wow that stinks!

To have that pull apart like that most likely can only be from shrinkage of the wood. Have you sealed it on all sides with Mineral oil and beeswax?

Since it seems like its on the edge you can make a pass on a table saw and remove the damaged section. Epoxy will work but can be tough on knives.

Oh yes. Sealed on a regular basis. Just bad luck I guess. The surface of what will be the repaired area shall be pretty much out of harms way as far as cutlery goes, so...I guess it's epoxy time.
Ironically this isn't a cut-rate (no pun intended) block; it's a John Boos. Go figure

About the table saw...this is a full sized block with legs. Trimming off the side sadly isn't an option. I hope Gorilla expoxy is all it is cracked up to be
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Send a bunch of photos to their warranty/customer service. You never know. You may get a brand new one or free professional repair.

I concur with Marty. Reach out to Boos before you work on it. If you treated it properly that should not have popped there. And if that is the only joint that failed it might have been an issue on their end. I don't think you will be able to glue and clamp that so it goes back where it should.

Let Boos know how you seasoned and maintained it. If they say it is because of how you maintained it, see if you can return it to them to fix. It looks like a glue failure/improper gluing between those two pieces.

Tom

H-B.O.M.B.

If the company won't do anything to fix or replace my inclination would be to clean up the gap and fit and glue a piece of maple (or whatever the wood is) in there.

dave

I oil all my chopping blocks about every week or two with mineral oil or bamboo oil. Never had a problem. It's pretty much a requiremnt as wood drys and splits. The oil keeps it moist.

Not being in the presence of the block, the one thing that strikes me is the bolted blade holder on the side of the block. I'm not saying it's clearly a (differential) torsional issue across the span the external device has exerted, but it is a possible contributing factor I'd be highly suspicious of.

Totally aside, I love my BOOS block too.

Well. We shall see what the good folks at Boos now have to say. They have all the pictures, and the sales receipt. No issue with the knife rack; especially since they sold it with the block as one of their accessories. Hopefully things will go well. I do love that block

Thank you to the good folks at John Boos. A replacement block in on the way here.
No fuss or hassle, all they asked for were pictures and a receipt if at all possible; fortunately I had the receipt....

So, when it is time for another cutting board or block...It'll be a Boos.

Top Bottom