What's new

My First Two Weeks of DE Shaving

First of all the equipment....

Razors: Merkur HD Classic, GIllette Ballend Tech?, and two Superspeeds.

Brush:Vulvix 660 Medium pure badger.

Creams/Soaps: Trumper's Sandalwood, T&H Trafalgar, TOBS Avacado, TOBS ST. James, CF Lime EO, Dr. Harris Arlington Soap, Col. Conk Amber Soap, Tabac Soap. Samples of Gentlemen's Refinery original, black ice, and unscented creams. Samples of Trumper's Lime, Almond, Violet creams.

A/S: Proraso ASB, Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel Toner, TOBS Mr. Taylor lotion, Samples of TGR original and unscented ASB, Samples of Trumper's Skin Food Coral, Lime, and Sandalwood.

Pre-Shave Oil
: Sample of TGR (only use occasionally)

My shaving experience has been soso thus far. Everything I'm doing now is definately better than my can cream and gillette sensor or fusion, but I'm still having trouble with the middle section of my neck from my adams apple up to my chin i cannot get a smooth shave there and often get irritation there trying to get a close shave. I feel that I have good blade angle and the right pressure. Although I cannot grip at the tip and apply no pressure becuase the razor jumps on my face. The hair on the middle section of my neck slants diagonaly towards the right for the most part and right above the adams apple goes straight to the right. On the "indentions" on the left and right sides of the adams apple(slightly higher), my beard grows E-W and W-E respectivley. It is very hard to get this area with and against the grain. My hair also seems to pull on atg and some xtg spots. The only time the razor glides good is Wtg passes. My beard also never seems soft, always stiff, no matter how well i prep. My lathers are good so its not that. I just cant figure it out. I only have Derby blades now but have a sampler pack on the way. my Tech seems milder than the HD , but both give me a hard time on the neck area. I pretty much have to go atg to get a decently close shave. I don't really have that full of a beard (yet, I'm 18), the hair on my head is thick though. Sorry for the longwinded thread. any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Thats quite a good haul of creams and soaps for your first 2 weeks!

I had the same problem with those areas - especially the indent bits higher and to the side of adams apple. For me at least, the hair grows much flatter to the skin than elsewhere, and so isnt as easily cut. I just use a more agressive angle and a little bit of pressure and go VERY slowly over those bits. You'll be getting them BBS in no time - youre only 2 weeks in remember.

Good to see another young gun on the board! (im 20)

yes I seem to have a bit of RAS ans SCAD. I forgot to mention I have 3 tubes of wars and 3 of lider on the way from poland. As well as 2 more razors from ebay and I some cheap straight that i doubt is shavable, but it looked cool. The brand is Tomahawk?

Funny - You don't mention Derby's until near the end of your post - yet I had a feeling that's what blade you used.

I had exact same problem.

Derby's are the most over-rated blade IMO, they never seem sharp, drag, and cause irritation.

I since discovered Feathers and have had fantastic shaves. My stubble isn't very dense but I think it's quite wiry.

Give some Feathers a try - they're very sharp, yes, but they're more efficient, they do more work per pass, so you need less passes.

Since I started DE shaving a few weeks ago - these are my favourite blade so far. And I have a whole sample pack to get through!

Just my opinion of course!

John

Howdy,

I agree with mdunn; that is quite the stash you've got! I'm new to the DE shave as well and am also into my second week.

I don't have your variety to choose from and I haven't thought much about posting results yet as I figure I am going to go at this with a bit of patience. But your comments about the neck area are well taken. I am surprised at how many directions my beard grows. For me to get a BBS shave I find it best to pay close attention to pre-shave activity. I use an wash/preshave exfoliant on my beard area with a hot shower and when I am out in front of the sink I have found that a steaming hot towel out of the microwave really helps. Also, I really don't use much pressure at all with my shaving strokes. I just try to be patient and keep making passes on touch up spots as I go through the shave. Generally, it seems to take me 4 passes to get really BBS. My problem spot is right under the chin. I usually have to blade buff and make "ooh and ahh faces" to get that chin down right. But if I have to make several touch ups in this area, I'll feel the burn. My best advice, as a newb myself, is to take it slow. Better to make additional passes as opposed to "bearing down" on a stubborn area. Allow yourself some extra time so you don't feel the pressure to hurry up the shave. Oh yeah, and make sure to rinse with hot water and re-lather between passes.

The witch hazel and Nivea balm work nice after the shave. Also, I apply a bit (a small bit) of Doxigel at some point during the day after my face has been "out in the world". I find it really helps to keep my shaved face and chin in good shape.

Currently I'm using a Merkur HD (waiting for a Gillette SS :wink: , and generally soap up with a superlather of VDH delux soap, a touch of cream, and a couple drops of lavender essential oil. I've got some T&H tubs of cream (trafalgar and unscented) coming in the mail.

I'm just an acolyte not an expert :001_smile

Hmmm....I can't fault your method from your post so I'll put mine down:

1) Wash face for a minute or so with hot water.
2) Lather up [I prefer on-face lathering].
3) Shave, rinsing razor with COLD water.
4) Warm water rinse, cold water rinse.
5) Pat dry with towel + aftershave application.

The shave itself is a WTG pass combined with an ATG pass usually, although a second WTG before the ATG is nice if I have time. I'll then check things out and touch up areas that need another ATG. I lather up from the brush in between of course, as goes without saying.

I use Wilkinson Sword [white package] blades and half the time I'm standing there thinking if I'm actually cutting anything! Yes, I am, but its so smooth it catches me off guard after shaving since I was 15/16 with a Gillette Twin Blade. Yeah, I'm in the young gun crowd too, I'm turning 20 this month.

Probably better mention that I use a Tech also, and it gives a magnificent shave with the Wilkinsons. Try tracking some Wilks down, I really can't say how good they are for me. I'm currently after a bulk lot as I don't want to pay AU$1 a blade when I can get them for a tenth of that online :D

Anyway, hope things improve eh? Also, +1 for the Witch Hazel and/or Nivea ASB. Good stuff the both of them, cheap too.

Cheers - boingk

Top Bottom