What's new

Jack Black - overpriced or worth it?

I have been using Jack Black Face Buff, Daily Facial Wash, and Double Duty Moisturizer for a few weeks. They seem... fine. Before that I used Neutrogena for men facial wash and moisturizer, which also seemed... fine. I also tried a sample of Jack Black post shave lotion, but currently use Neutrogena's offering in this department. Both are... Wait for it... Fine. (Shocker, right?)

I honestly can't tell whether the Jack Black products are somehow better, and if so, how. It's certainly not bad... I just am unsure if I can justify the cost without knowing the benefit.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks!

Too pricey for me, but I am cheap (frugal). Plenty of other stuff available that works just as well or better for less. YMMV.

Jack Black seems very expensive to me. Their products are priced in the category of premium salon products. Looking at the ingredients, I can't see any reason to pick them over less expensive natural brands such as Kiss My Face, Speick, Welda, or Every Day Shea. Some of the brands I mentioned might not have specific post-shave products, but I find any light to medium lotion seems to work. Additionally, some of the brands have more natural ingredients, less chemicals, and less preservatives.

Unless you find the smell of Jack Black worth the price premium, I think you could sample around and find other products with fine performance for less.

With exception to the SPF lip balm, all of their products are insanely overpriced. The majority of their products are good, but you can find products just as good for 1/4 their price. You're mostly paying for the brand name, the marketing, the rent of the high-end retail outlets they're sold in and the feeling of luxury.

With exception to the SPF lip balm, all of their products are insanely overpriced. The majority of their products are good, but you can find products just as good for 1/4 their price. You're mostly paying for the brand name, the marketing, the rent of the high-end retail outlets they're sold in and the feeling of luxury.

+1 nothing else needs to be said as this sums it up perfectly.

Why is the lip balm not considered to be overpriced compared to their other products? The pricing seems in line with their other products.

Is it that it's highly regarded?

I should have mentioned that one thing I like about Jack Black is that it's marketed to men. This doesn't seem objectively like it would matter, but subjectively I seem to care. I like American Crew for hair for a similar reason (plus they make a dandruff shampoo). Neutrogena has a men's line though, as does I think Nivea, and other companies, so it's not like Jack Black is the only competitor in that category.

Why is the lip balm not considered to be overpriced compared to their other products? The pricing seems in line with their other products.

To be fair, I don't mean to put it on a pedestal. It still is pricy and I don't know if I'd buy it again. I guess it's because I have the product and I enjoy it. It has lasted me a long time for its small size (I like the scent and the SPF protection too) ; but maybe it's because I don't use it that often.

I should have mentioned that one thing I like about Jack Black is that it's marketed to men.

There's always going to be these divides. Men and women are really not very different, and at the end of the day it's the same product. But men don't want to buy women's products because masculinity and pride. So the market to take these same products and market them to men has been very successful.

Wait a second, is that line by THE Jack Black? The one of Tenacious D? Master Exploder? Okay, I'm probably an idiot for even suggesting that, but I am unfamiliar with the brand.
:tongue_sm

I do not think you are missing anything! I tried the moisturizer. IMO CeraVe or Neutragena are as good or better!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

What is it....bout $7 for a tube of lip balm? I've used a few different flavors of their lip balm and I like them all. 7 bucks for lip balm is really expensive. I use some type of lip balm every night before bed. Right now I'm using one called Chicken Poop. It's about half the price of Jack Black.

The Jack Black stuff does last a long time though. I got almost 2 years out of a tube. So 7 bucks for almost 2 years...doesn't seem that bad now.

But honestly....there are others that work just as well for a lot cheaper.

Top Bottom