What's new

Fixed 4 for July

7 shaves on my Gillette 7 o'clock green as of this morning. I'm sorely tempted to try stropping it (using my Twinplex) just for grins and also as a test of the value of stropping with new production stainless blades. If I do and get decent results I'll certainly post the results.

[MENTION=94467]Highspeedlane[/MENTION]
Are you noticing the blade feeling duller Lane? Also, like (I believe) most of us, do you leave the blade in the razor till you feel it's time to change it?

@Highspeedlane
Are you noticing the blade feeling duller Lane? Also, like (I believe) most of us, do you leave the blade in the razor till you feel it's time to change it?

Hey Cal,

This morning's shave was on two days growth but did not seem to be dulled out and the shave was fine. My plan is to go ahead and try for #8 tomorrow and only if I feel it's causing a rough shave will I resort to the stropping experiment.

I haven't moved my Progress off setting 2 so far either. A really great paring for me. I have a spot under my chin where the stubble is the most dense, tough to cut and I know immediately when I get there if the blade is due for change!

What about, instead of stropping you simply flip the blade, Lane?

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this in the Excalibur thread and elsewhere recently, with many (in particular [MENTION=81103]rabidus[/MENTION], who hopefully may weigh in on this) having good success.

Apparently (as I understand it) the reason people strop their straight razors (and knives), rather than "sharpening" them, is because the blade edge bends over, and stropping brings back the "even keel." So simply flipping the blade when it feels a little duller rectifies the "one way" bending over of the edge.

Hopefully my rambling "sort of" explanation makes some sense. :blushing:

@Highspeedlane

What about, instead of stropping you simply flip the blade, Lane?

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this in the Excalibur thread and elsewhere recently, with many (in particular @rabidus, who hopefully may weigh in on this) having good success.

Apparently (as I understand it) the reason people strop their straight razors (and knives), rather than "sharpening" them, is because the blade edge bends over, and stropping brings back the "even keel." So simply flipping the blade when it feels a little duller rectifies the "one way" bending over of the edge.

Hopefully my rambling "sort of" explanation makes some sense. :blushing:

Yes it absolutely does make sense. I have done this in the past but not recently. I will do that before stropping. Thanks for the suggestion!

I couldn't have explained it better myself! [emoji106]

I started flipping the blade after every shave to try to keep the edge where it needs to be for as long as possible. One shave for me equals about 3 face shaves, shaving my face and head. The Polsilver SI made it past 12 face and head shaves easily, which is where I started flipping the Astra SP.

I thought I read somewhere that people strop blades with the inside of a glass cup, probably for the same reason. I've never tried this.

Absolutely no problems with shave #8 this morning. I'll be entering uncharted waters tomorrow because I've never put 9 shaves on a DE blade before. It will be interesting to see if between flipping and if necessary stropping, I can push this blade to the end of July.

Hi Lane, just one observation/thought from me. You know the way we all like to broadcast our opinions (well, I certainly do) whether they're right or wrong, good or bad, etc.

If the blade is still fine, why not just continue as is? Then flip it (only) when you feel there is some deterioration in performance.

If the blade is still fine, why not just continue as is? Then flip it (only) when you feel there is some deterioration in performance.

When I use another Astra SP I'll know which routine works better... The Polsilver SI that I'm using currently is performing better flipping the blade after every shave. Could be the blade or the routine. I'll know for sure with another Astra SP.

[MENTION=81103]rabidus[/MENTION]

^ That's great. :thumbup1: Let's know the outcome (when you get there) please.

That's actually exactly what I was planning. I can do a flip during a shave if the blade loses its cutting power with stropping as the last resort. Will be interesting. So far, nothing but amazingly smooth, zero error shaves!

The Fixed 4 (and their Guardian):
$July4-5-Wee-Lion.jpg

Optional Prep: Splash of hot water on face
1. Brush: Omega S10065
2. Soap: Proraso Red Tube
3. Razor: Old Gard 60
4. Blade: Personna Red (13)
Optional Post: Proraso Red ASL

Another enjoyable July shave with the Fixed 4. :biggrin1:

Hey Lane,

If you haven't seen it before... this post on the Excalibur Club thread by multi-shave-per-blade master [MENTION=30982]bosseb[/MENTION] may interest you.

10 shaves as of this a.m. and still cutting great! Between flipping and if necessary stropping, I see this blade easily making it to the end of the month. What a great match for the Merkur Progress.

The Fixed 4:
$July4-4.jpg

4. Blade: Personna Red (14)

After four days, this was a real hobo to clean-shaven transformation shave. I couldn't delay it any longer because I was getting that old pre-beard itch. Notwithstanding the near-beard, the Fixed 4 performed faultlessly using only my standard two passes: 1 WTG/Freestyle and 2 ATG/Freestyle.
Another most enjoyable July shave with the Fixed 4. :biggrin1:

Moments ago shave #11 went on my trust 7 o'clock SS. Based on a BARELY perceptible increase in pulling, I decided to go ahead and flip it, so this will be a good evaluation of what shave #12 will be like, most likely Monday morning.

Between flipping and if necessary stropping, I want to take this blade right to the end of the month. This has been very revealing, particularly in the blade longevity department.

The Fixed 4:
View attachment 675473

4. Blade: Personna Red (14)

After four days, this was a real hobo to clean-shaven transformation shave. I couldn't delay it any longer because I was getting that old pre-beard itch. Notwithstanding the near-beard, the Fixed 4 performed faultlessly using only my standard two passes: 1 WTG/Freestyle and 2 ATG/Freestyle.
Another most enjoyable July shave with the Fixed 4. :biggrin1:

Excellent Cal :thumbup1:

Top Bottom