What's new

Construction

$image.jpgHeliPad concrete pad at VCU HOSPITAL - SouthHill, Va

Those concrete pumps are impressive. I hung iron on a job and they were pouring under us. They had 3 trucks at a time backed up to it at a time and were pumping all the way up to the 7th floor.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Those concrete pumps are impressive. I hung iron on a job and they were pouring under us. They had 3 trucks at a time backed up to it at a time and were pumping all the way up to the 7th floor.

I could have done with one when I was doing house removals. We would have the house up on jacks up to approx. your chest height. Re piling the house with pushing wheelbarrow loads of concrete under the house was hard work.
Hey some times when we were out in the wop wops we would mix our own concrete.

Like this.

$construction.jpg

A Georgia buggy is s great tool if your wheelbarrowing. Basically a motorized wheelbarrow.
Pumps are expensive are expensive to rent. They need to be figured into the job cost. Depending on the size $500 -$1000 an hour with a 3 hour minimum. Not including travel time and material pumped. That pump there in the picture is probably about $600,000- 650,000. Expensive but cheap they save a lot of labor and labor hours cost more than renting a pump.

I think about how are forefathers built skyscrapers originally. Hand by hand they moved the material.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A Georgia buggy is s great tool if your wheelbarrowing. Basically a motorized wheelbarrow.
Pumps are expensive are expensive to rent. They need to be figured into the job cost. Depending on the size $500 -$1000 an hour with a 3 hour minimum. Not including travel time and material pumped. That pump there in the picture is probably about $600,000- 650,000. Expensive but cheap they save a lot of labor and labor hours cost more than renting a pump.

I think about how are forefathers built skyscrapers originally. Hand by hand they moved the material.

A Georgia buggy does sound just the ticket for that sort of work.
Yeah all the modern tools, makes for a quicker less labour intensive job but not every job can justify the budget.

Those Georgia buggy's are nice. A lot of the jobs I was on they used riding power trowels too. Pretty neat contraption. Never ran one myself though, never did much concrete work. Seems like too much manual labor for me. :tongue_sm

$05-ride-on-power-float.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Progress appears slow, at least to me it does from my comfortable chair.:laugh:
They have poured the concrete down inside and today half the outside is getting poured. The left hand side is going to be a higher level so they will be building some retaining for it in the next few days.
A beautiful winters day for pouring concrete I must say. Given we had winds up to 130km/80miles per hour over the weekend.

I did not get photos but they have been digging for new drains. They say they normally can do 10 metres / 10.9 yards per day but due to it being rock only got 4 metres / 4.3 yards.

$20160725_105956.jpg

Progress appears slow, at least to me it does from my comfortable chair.:laugh:
They have poured the concrete down inside and today half the outside is getting poured. The left hand side is going to be a higher level so they will be building some retaining for it in the next few days.
A beautiful winters day for pouring concrete I must say. Given we had winds up to 130km/80miles per hour over the weekend.

I did not get photos but they have been digging for new drains. They say they normally can do 10 metres / 10.9 yards per day but due to it being rock only got 4 metres / 4.3 yards.

Oh it must be absolutely horrible to have winters like that instead of multiple feet of snow. :blink:

I see the pole is still in the middle of the building, I'm still curios if they are going to change it or seal the roof around it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Oh it must be absolutely horrible to have winters like that instead of multiple feet of snow. :blink:

I see the pole is still in the middle of the building, I'm still curios if they are going to change it or seal the roof around it.

It's been a milder winter than normal but snow is not normal for Wellington anyway. A frost is as cold as it gets for me, life is hard. :laugh:
The lower half of the South Island does get snow on the flats.

I spoke with our processing manager who informs me the pole stays. The pole is deemed to be part of the existing building and to move it would require a new permit.
That in itself sounds easy enough but to get a new permit they would need to bring the whole original building up to the new earthquake building code. In short a lot more money just to move the pole.
As crazy as it sounds the pole stays in situ as a work around for now. Given how much capital expenditure they are spending already I get it.

Just a bit of background, where I live is on a earthquake fault line and we do get the odd good shake.

It's been a milder winter than normal but snow is not normal for Wellington anyway. A frost is as cold as it gets for me, life is hard. :laugh:
The lower half of the South Island does get snow on the flats.

I spoke with our processing manager who informs me the pole stays. The pole is deemed to be part of the existing building and to move it would require a new permit.
That in itself sounds easy enough but to get a new permit they would need to bring the whole original building up to the new earthquake building code. In short a lot more money just to move the pole.
As crazy as it sounds the pole stays in situ as a work around for now. Given how much capital expenditure they are spending already I get it.

Just a bit of background, where I live is on a earthquake fault line and we do get the odd good shake.

Makes sense with the permit thing. I guess a seal with an expansion joint should keep it from being too much of an issue.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
They are working on the boxing for the retained wall, for the left hand side which floor will be higher.

But what's up with that pole? I walked into the meeting late this morning and only got the end of daily contruction plane.
It sounded something like this........ blar, blar, blar putting beam on roof for support, as the floor is going to be lower than the pole. Say what?
They must be pouring the floor, then installing a new support pole.......maybe.

$20160729_132333.jpg

Last edited:
From the way it's propped up and the empty pier, it looks like they have already cut it off. If so I would think under an earthquake area that would fall into a new construction anyhow since you would have to have a 100% penetrated and xray'd weld to reattach that structural support. I just get paid to do what they tell me though, they get paid to think.:lol:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
From the way it's propped up and the empty pier, it looks like they have already cut it off. If so I would think under an earthquake area that would fall into a new construction anyhow since you would have to have a 100% penetrated and xray'd weld to reattach that structural support. I just get paid to do what they tell me though, they get paid to think.:lol:

The pole has been cut and it is cut below the roof line. There is a second support to the right coming off the center beam. It all looks temporary to this side line commentator.

That is exactly what I thought was happening. My confusion is coming from the permit standpoint. If they were unable to remove the pole due to the earthquake standards being updated since it was installed, I would think that a full repair that they will now have to do would fall into the same standards, therefore making more sense to just re-mount it onto the roof and eliminate the pole from the middle of the building.

But, as I said, there are the guys that get paid to think, and I'm not one of them. :lol: There may be some loophole or exemption for a repair that holds it to a different standard than a new design.

Any time an existing structure foundation changes generally a permit and or a PE needs to sign off. A lally column is part of the structural engineers responsibilities. During construction, changes to a plans and or permit happen a lot. A lot of times a PE will take the strengths past the required codes and not worry about permits as he accepts full responsibility. Yup a PE can override most codes. He will have to sign off and submit though. The starting trend is to get away from ridiculously strong concrete, mortar, steel, etc. A Building needs to move and flex especially during an earth quake. If too brittle they just crumble.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Steady as she goes. Crap weather so they are working on the inside jobs.
The pipe did get supported by the roof beams in the end.

$20160909_140542.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, what is this space going to be used for? The construction process looks really over-regulated but clean, tidy and orange. Burnt orange would have been better...Hook'em. Sorry, that's the team colors of the Texas Longhorns University.

I hope its a BBQ joint.

Top Bottom