What's new

Mustache wax suggestions please!

I have had a Mustache since my late teens which makes my moustache about 40 years old. I have shaped it differently over the years, but for the last five years at least I am sporting a "Monopoly Man" moustache. I have been using a home made balm of Shea butter and coconut oil for conditioning and Badger Mustache Wax for styling. And generally I am pleased. I recently was browsing through some of my favourite online wet shaving stores and I noticed a number of new Mustache wax offerings. What do you use? Are you pleased with how it is working for you? I would like to try something new...any suggestions?

I've used the Badger wax, and liked it well enough. So I'd guess that the others I've liked should work for you as well:

Mr, Kings Marvelous Mustache Wax
Dubb's Mustache Wax
Firehouse Wacky Tacky (bit more of a really waxed appearance when using this)

For me, the only one that I haven't liked really is the Clubman wax that comes in the small tube.

I have two I like:
Captain Fawcett's - softer than Firehouse to start with. Easy to apply and has good hold through the day.
Firehouse Tacky - a firm wax. I keep it in my pocket for a bit before applying to soften it up. Has tremendous hold, as stated you can really wax/sculpt your mustache with it.

Skip the Pinaud, while their AS and Cologne line-up is fantastic the wax leaves a lot to be desired.

strop

Now half as wise
Glad the Badger worked for you. It wasn't enough hold for me. Currently, Firehouse and Cowboy Comb are in the drawer, but Fawcett's, Penhaligon's, Fisticuff's, Lockhart's, and Man's Face Stuff have all worked well. Oregon Wild Hair works great, but is heavily scented with musk and takes some getting used to.

Products like Clubman, TOBS, and Stern are better suited, for me at least, as topcoats, for extra hold after initial shaping with one of the above waxes.

Anyone use mustache wax with a beard? I've been thinking about using a mustache wax to keep a few of the stray 'stache hairs in place, but I don't want anything that'll be too stiff.

I use wax on my stache and beard. I rotate through a few. Fisticuffs is nice smelling, but doesn't hold long. Woodsmen natural has great hold, but the overpowering pine took some getting used to. Firehouse is the bees knees, but doesn't have any scent. I dropped a bit of bergamot EO into it and let it soak in. It made it a bit more pliable as well. I have had great results from the Badger wax. I use that pretty regularly because it is the most readily available quality wax. I have some no-name wax from Hong Kong which comes in a screw up chapstick like tube that works pretty well. Then I've got the Pinaud goo, which is a bit more like a hair preparation than a stache wax.

I have a nice collection of waxes that have a little history to them ... I am not really into these new hipster waxes with cute names ... I like to keep it old school...

Prorasso, Lucky Tiger, TOBS, Stern, Brothers Love, Golde-Dachs, Morgan's, Master, Father's, Col. Conks, Dr. Ditmar, Clubman, Hairgum, and Murray's Bees Wax.

[MENTION=102566]Rusty Blade[/MENTION]
I'm severely happy with Loma Wax Strong Hold.

Loma Wax is made in Grand Junction, Colorado by a guy. It's virtually scent-free IMHO and keeps the growing handlebars looking good.

He sells online and in a number of Western States.

http://www.lomawaxcompany.com

I use Fisticuffs to keep things tidied up and normally go with "swoops". But when I want to really twist it up, I use Capt Fawcetts on the ends.

In the past I did not use anything for my moustache and goatee since I kept them relatively short.
About two months ago I have decided to let them grow, and I have been using Maestro's beard butter. Shea butter every few days.
I have a tin of Badger Mustache Wax too but I have yet to start using it.
It is very hard. How do you apply it? Do you use an hair drier to melt it?

I make my own... Equal portions of beeswax and coconut oil with a couple drops of essential oil. I've tried some of the commercial products and they're okay, but I don't like the tiny little tins... It's just not enough =)

I recently picked up some Proraso Mustache Wax and I give it a mixed review...generally positive. There is a scent -- some might say a strong scent -- so if you are scent-sensitive then this may not be for you. I like the scent, so it didn't bother me. It goes on like a cream and then in a few minutes it seems to harden, or take a more solid form. It has good holding power...no problem there (I sport a Monopoly Man Mustache). The other feature I noticed was it seemed to dry my whiskers...so after I washed it out I put some coconut oil in my mustache to "condition" it. Overall...quite nice. I will use it now and again...but not in scent free environments.

Top Bottom