What's new

Autostrop first shave today

I used my vc4 today for the first time. It was not good at all. I used a feather carbon single edge blade, and it pulled pretty bad. I switched it out for my super speed razor with a Gillette 7 o'clock green DE blade and it was back to normal feel. I will try a feather stainless blade in the autostrop but if it doesn't work well, that'll be it for that razor. I'm disappointed because everyone brags on the autostrop, but I just didn't get the good result. I don't think there are any other blades I can try.

I also have a gem 1912 which I haven't tried yet, so tell me: what is the sharpest blade I can get for that razor?

I was lucky enough to receive a 1912 in a PIF and it is a great razor. I recommend you refer to this thread for a blade guide:

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=292388

I've used the ".009RD" blades described and was very satisfied, but as always YMMV. Just go into it with an open mind and remember that it will NOT feel anything like your DE razors. Same goes for the autostrop, it's good, but certainly different than any DE razor. Different doesn't mean bad, it just takes some practice and getting used to.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I tried the 009 blades in my GEMs and didn't like them. I use the stainless GEM blades now and get great results. Accidentally shaved with an 009 blade recently and knew something was wrong right away.

The Feather carbon steel blades that fit the Auto-Strops are just plain awful. They leave me wondering if Feather ever made a paint scraper that they would fit, because they certainly don't seem to be made for shaving.

I'm less than totally enamoured with the Feather stainless steel blades, but they are a huge, and I mean huge, improvement over the carbon blades.

--Bob

The Feather carbon steel blades that fit the Auto-Strops are just plain awful. They leave me wondering if Feather ever made a paint scraper that they would fit, because they certainly don't seem to be made for shaving.

I'm less than totally enamoured with the Feather stainless steel blades, but they are a huge, and I mean huge, improvement over the carbon blades.

--Bob

The Feather carbon steel blades are awful, but I love the stainless steels. I'm in the minority in that regard I guess.

Anyway, Kai currently markets these for cutter knives, so could be that Feather may have also:

http://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/223000669525/

I have a box each of both thicknesses, but I'll not try to shave with them. Nope.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I do have some of the Stainless feather blades, too, so I will try one and see how it works. I'd really love for my Autostrop to be a good shaver.

--Bob

Maybe try to get a Valet VC1/VB1 so you can despine a Gem stainless ptfe single edge blade for it. This is what I do for mine and the Valet vc1 shaves great with this despine stainless steel blade and by going this route the blades are cheaper in price!

Last edited:
Maybe try to get a Valet VC1/VB1 so you can despine a Gem stainless ptfe single edge blade for it. This is what I do for mine and the Valet vc1 shaves great and by going this route the blades are cheaper in price!

Top Bottom