What's new

Delta Pagoda with EF fusion nib review

My Pagoda arrived today! It's a nice enough pen that I thought that I'd write a review. I haven't found any online; that may be because it looks like a relatively new pen.

I became interested in Delta pens from Goulet Pens' advertisements when the orange celluloid Unica came out. I didn't buy on of those (or the red acrylic Unica from Anderson Pens), but eventually bought a blue acrylic Unica as I have been looking for a thick-sectioned pen with a fine or extra fine nib in a nice acrylic. I enjoyed the blue Unica enough to look for an orange celluloid or red Unica, and found an orange Unica on the 'bay which I won. I was looking for the red one and ended up finding a variety of models on eBay, including this one.

My understanding is that the Delta Pagoda is the first of Delta's "Asia Collection" line. It comes with a red acrylic cap in gold trim, or a blue acrylic cap in rhodium trim. You can get a rollerball, fusion nib, or gold nib. For cost reasons, I went with the fusion nib. It's a #6, according to MarteModena's descriptions on eBay. I am not certain if it disassembles, however. I hope so, because you can get a wide variety of #6 nibs (and I have heard of the gold plate on the fusion nib becoming unglued).

One comment about pricing - they were initially sold as $1 bids, and sold for a variety of prices (lowest winning bid was $30 for the red model). MarteModena then started selling them at a base of over $100, and it looks like none of those sold. I was kicking myself for not bidding on one when they were cheaper. Then they started relisting them at $1, and I won mine for the grand total of $36. Keep in mind that the shipping & handling is about $50, so you are paying a lot for that! It reached me in about 2-3 days; I forget when it shipped, exactly. I then paid in extra $20 for an EF nib (EF or broad are $20 extra, stub is $50 extra, and fine/medium are at no additional cost).

I also don't know what MarteModena's relationship with Delta is, as you can get their pens for surprisingly low prices at times. I've heard that they sell Delta's seconds - the pen I received looked fine and without any defects or blemishes, FYI.

Pictures are at the end.

First impressions - the box is cool. It has a pagoda design on plastic, and comes off when you unscrew 2 knobs on either side of the box. Sadly, the interior is designed to hold a pen and doesn't have room to repurpose the box for anything else. That box was contained inside another box, padded with peanuts, and the whole thing was inside a DHL plastic shipping bag.

Pen - it's a little heavy, and feels like a very solid pen. There is no "rotating ring" like on the Unica. The red acrylic cap is beautiful, and has a lot of depth and reflectivity that isn't captured by the pictures. There's a ring of similar acrylic on the body as well. The clip looks really cool (I love Asian architecture), and the cap also seems to be airtight (I couldn't blow air through the cap so it shouldn't dry out like some of my pens). There's a gold design ring on the body as well.

The section width (see last photo) is quite wide, and is concave so it feels very secure.

It uses a cartridge/converter, with something that I can't quite figure out. It says that it is a piston filler/converter. The converter has a long metal handle that you can access by unscrewing the end cap (see below). I don't understand how to covert the pen into a piston filler, however. If so, that's a nice feature.

It writes with some feedback (EF nib), but without problems. It's a nice nib, feeling similar to my Lamy EF nib. I used J. Herbin's Rouge Hematite in the Pagoda.

All in all, it feels like a very expensive pen; I would say that it's probably worth $100-200 list. The quality feels like a step up from the Unica. The nib itself is nice, although if it is replaceable then you can get a ton of different #6 nibs out there for relatively little money.

I hope that this was helpful; I'm quite pleased with the pen.
$IMG_9420.jpg$IMG_9421.jpg$IMG_9422.jpg$IMG_9423.jpg$IMG_9424.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot one thing - if it feels like the body or end cap won't screw on all the way, the converter isn't in far enough as the converter screws in. A nice feature, but it took me a minute to figure it out.

The included instructions are completely inadequate, by the way. My only real gripe.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Very nice looking pen and presentation. I like the way the converter can be accessed at the blind cap. I think they are telling you it's got a piston converter, not that there is a conversion. Does it take cartridges of the international size?

How does the nib feel as far as springiness? Congrats on the beautiful pen and thanks for the review. :thumbup:

What a nice review of a beautiful pen. As nemo said, I really think making the converter filling knob accessible though a blind cap is a classy feature; it is also one I've not seen before, so kudos to Delta on that. Thanks for sharing

I find the nib to be rigid/nail-like and not springy. I wonder ifthere are #6 springy steel nibs out there . . .

I don't know about the international cartridge thing. The included instructions don't mention that, either. :001_rolle

Nemo - what do you mean that it's got a piston converter?

Tricky store... Pens are located in Italy, and shipping to Serbia (right next door) is 19$, but for Deltas starting at 1$ it's 69,9$. Then it gets better, when I change location to US (across the globe) it's cheaper :mad3:
Anyway, great pen, for a good price. Enjoy and thanks for a review!

Great review. Congrats on your new pen, what a beauty!

I've purchased a couple of Delta pens from MarteModena and could not find any flaw in either pen to make me suspect that they were seconds. And the prices can't be beat.

One of my MarteModena pens is a Dolce Vita in Red/Orange with gold trim. It is a piston filler with a small viewing window so you can see when you're running low on ink. Cartridges are O.K. but you can't beat the versatility of either the piston converter or piston filler.

Awesome pen. I do advise to keep an eye on the Fusion nib. Although they say it's "fused" to the stainless steel, the gold part actually looks glued in some way. The gold separated from the nib on one of my Deltas and I had to get a replacement. The good news is the nib performs well with or without the gold tab on it. If it happens, call MarteModena right away. It's an unacceptable problem with such a quality pen. Enjoy it, it's beautiful!

I like both the Unica and the Pagoda. The Pagoda is a bit heavy, but it is a nice pen and feels like a quality step up. Having said that . . . I really like the Unica . . . the aesthetic, the section (wide), the lightness, and the depth of the blue acrylic. I'm much more nervous about my celluloid Unica due to staining. I may also be leery of my Pagoda as I don't want to scratch or ding it at all . . . it really is beautiful.

Another great option would be an Anderson Pens LE red acrylic Unica, which I would still like to buy at some point if they ever pop up on the 'bay . . .

Top Bottom