What's new

Grocery Store Shaving Section

Well I had quite the surprise this evening! Stopped by my usual grocery store (Hy-Vee) to pick up a styptic, and what do I find in the shaving section?!

• A surprisingly robust pre and post-shave collection
  • The whole line of VDH soaps
  • Williams soap
  • VDH boar brush
  • DE blades - Gillette platinum plus and Le Techniq?
  • Body Toolz? DE razor
  • Thai Crystal Deodorant
  • My trusty styptic

Not bad if I need supplies in a hurry! Anyone else notice their grocery/convenience store stocking traditional shaving items?

Funny you should mention it but the other day I went to my local Shoprite and I noticed a similar selection. I saw the entire line if VDH stuff as well along with the Williams soap, Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Musk, Nivea Shave cream and a bunch of other stuff. I also noticed that the CVS also had some of this stuff as well but not as much. I agree it's a nice sign that if you run out of something you can always find something at the local store.

I scoured every Spar shop and Chinese shop recently - it was like trying to find shaving items "in the wild"

A few of the Spar shops sell La Toja or Lea shaving sticks, one sells Varon Dandy Aftershave, another sold Nivea Mild shaving cream - I bought both tubes
There is a local shop in Palmanova, appropriately named "Aladdin's Cave", who sells 101 weird and wonderful things and whenever I go in there to buy a Birthday/Mother's Day/Christmas card, I end up buying some great stuff as well. It's the only shop that sells Bea shaving sticks and Lea Baby Powder in among all the disposable razors and canned goop.
One of the big Chinese shops sells obscure Chinese DE blades without any price tags alongside Bic Chrome Platinum blades, nice to know in an emergency, but prohibitively expensive at €2,95 for 10 Bic blades !!

The supermarkets fare slightly better.......

Bip sells Williams Expert Ice Blue shaving cream
Eroski City (aka Eroski Pequeño) sells La Toja shaving sticks and La Toja Classic and Sensitive shaving cream
Eroski Center (aka Eroski Grande) sells all of the above plus Williams Expert Ice Blue Shaving Cream, Nivea Shaving Cream, Williams Expert Aqua Velva, 400ml size Floid Vigaroso, La Toja Aftershave Lotion and Litre size bottles of Varon Dandy Cologne, just to name a few aftershaves and colognes
Mercadona sells Lea shaving cream and shaving sticks, Williams Expert Aqua Velva, Floid Vigaroso and Agua Brava, plus a lot more aftershaves and colognes, and Israeli made Personna Platinum DE blades

I've got a good collection of shaving sticks, shaving creams and aftershaves, but regardless of how many others I buy............
Lea, La Toja, Nivea and Williams Expert Ice Blue are my go to creams
Bea, La Toja and Lea are my go to shaving sticks
Floid Vigaroso, La Toja, Varon Dandy and Williams Expert Aqua Velva are my go to aftershaves and colognes

I've noticed the VDH products and Pacific shave cream at Walmart, Kroger, Target and Meijer stores. Some have their own brand of DE blades also.

To my surprise, a new pharmacy opened in my area in Maine and had in stock Wilkinson Sword blades, Schick injector blades, VDH soaps and a VDH kit, Dr. Conk soap. I asked about them getting brushes, razors etc. and they plan on getting in more items for the wet shaver.

Our local grocery store has stocked shaving stuff for many, many years. They even beat Walmarts prices.
They stock Williams and VDH soaps, VDH kits, Burma brushes, 3 different Old Spice, AV, AV Musk, AV Sport, Skin Bracer, Nivea balm, Schick Injector blades, SE blades, 3 flowers pomade (liquid & wax) as well as a bunch of the modern razors and shaving foams & gels.
I think I may be forgetting some items too.

I have to drive 120 miles! But that's why we have priority mail!

Have you tried the local Fry's grocery store? Here in Chandler they now carry a few products such as Van Der Hagen, some AS products, as well as two kinds of razor blades and a few other products. Also, down here CVS and Walgreen's carry some shaving products. None have a great selection but it's good in an emergency.

I have to drive 120 miles! But that's why we have priority mail!
Our grocery store is only 8 miles from home. If we drive for 45 miles, we have a store called Just For Him (justforhim.com). I have picked up Ogallala, Stirling, Dr. Jons and Jeeves of Hudson St. products from them.
I feel like I am VERY fortunate to have such a good selection within a reasonable distance!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm noticing VDH popping up in more places, including the Commisary on post. They even have the VDH-brand Weishi razors. Pacific All-Natural shave cream is pretty good. It actually lathers, unlike most modern mass-market creams.

For you guys that like the local b&m treasure hunt, be sure to check out the beauty supply stores for Pinaud/Clubman and/or Master stuff. Don't be scared off by the wigs and perm chemical smell. Those stores sometimes have cheap razors and brushes too.

The pharmacy in my town, really small, one traffic light, sells Hoyts. I couldn't believe they had it on the shelf, they also had Williams and the usual "drug store" aftershaves. They also sell fresh squeezed orangeade, its quite refreshing.

Top Bottom