What's new

Lefty challenges

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm a lefty and the last time that I experimented with a fountain pen, the ink did not dry quick enough.

You lefties out there, how have you overcome this?

I write fast so I need a very quick drying ink.

Thanks for any input/recommendations.

Lefty here:
I'm an underwriter, so most inks/nibs work fine for me. A lot of the Noodler inks are fast drying and are great for lefties. Pelikan and Kaweco inks dry fast too. Of course, the paper you write on has a lot of effect on the dry time, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks. I'm a blend of under/side writer. Will look for finer nibs and quick drying ink. No control over the paper at work.

I used to write with a strong hook. I decided that if I wanted to write with fountain pen I would need to learn how to underwrite. My first FP was a left hand nib Lamy... I soon found that a) those nibs are hard and b) I didn't need a specific left handed nib. The key for me while transitioning was to slow down and pay attention. It was quite frustrating at first but my speed (and legibility) improved with time.

Ruckin.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks again. Ordered a Lamy Al-star with a fine tip. Will see how it goes.

Lamy are great. I've found that left-handed nibs are pointless (for me, at least). Finding the right ink and paper, along with practicing/adjusting your style can be a big help, even if it's a bit of a pain at first.

I am a lefty and I write with a left handed slant and with a little bit of an underwrite. Fountain pens don't give me any more trouble than any other pen type ;)

Seanmckay

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Tried my Lamy Al-star today. Works great. Much better than my last foray into fountain pens which was a Schaeffer, I believe.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... underwriting will help to decrease smears.

This:

proxy.php

Top Bottom