What's new

First proper fountain pen

Just ordered my first proper fountain pen, i've gone for a Lamy Al Star, along with a bottle of Waterman Tender Purple ink (I love purple). I've used fountain pens before but always cheap pens, including a Parker Jotter fountain pen that I still have. I only use fountain pens at home when making notes and working as when i'm at work I often need to be able to write on plastic so a ballpoint is the only option. I'm looking forward to this pen arriving as i've read a few of the threads on here recommending the Lamy along with the Pilot Metropolitan (which i'm also tempted by).
Wish me luck :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Congrats, on ordering your new pen and ink! I haven't tried Waterman's Tender Purple yet, but there are plenty of beautiful purples out there, so I'm sure that you'll be able to find a few that you like. Let us know how everything works out once it arrives and you get a chance to use it. :thumbup1:

The Al Star is a great choice for a first pen. It was my first. That was about 18 years ago and it is still going strong.

Thanks for the replies guys, it's looking like it should arrive by Monday, which means I should get chance to properly try it out later on next week :) I'll keep you posted with how I get on.

I just introduced my wife to her first fountain pen, a Lamy also. But I got her the Safari in the special edition Dark Lilac (she likes purple too) and a bottle of the Dark Lilac ink.

Welcome to the nib. I to enjoy purple ink, and have found Pelikan 4001 Violet to be an affordable and well behaving purple, fwiw.

Just ordered my first proper fountain pen, i've gone for a Lamy Al Star, along with a bottle of Waterman Tender Purple ink (I love purple). I've used fountain pens before but always cheap pens, including a Parker Jotter fountain pen that I still have. I only use fountain pens at home when making notes and working as when i'm at work I often need to be able to write on plastic so a ballpoint is the only option. I'm looking forward to this pen arriving as i've read a few of the threads on here recommending the Lamy along with the Pilot Metropolitan (which i'm also tempted by).
Wish me luck :)

Awesome!
My first FP was a Lamy Vista and I still use the snot out of it to this day. Of course, you can't just have one. I've since picked up more Lamy, some Pilots, Kaweco; the list goes on...

And don't get me started on the inks!

Oh, the inks....
KWZI - Poland
Blackstone - Australia
Pelikan - Germany
Levenger - US?
Waterman-France/US?
Noodler's US
Diamine - England
Akkerman - Netherlands

You really can play around the world with inks.

in my samples of which there are many - I have some Pilot/Iros... from Japan. too.
Vintage inks, inks that started life as powders (vintage and non vintage)

Have you had a chance to try out your Lamy yet?
Indeed I have, i've started to keep a journal (something i've been meaning to do for a while) and the Lamy is writing beautifully. The nib seems perfect (it's a medium) it writes a little bit wet with the Waterman ink which is perfect for me. The only issue I have is the grip, i'm not entirely happy with it as while over short writing sessions I have no issues, anything longer causes some serious hand fatigue. As a result, I am already looking for another pen, I do enjoy the Lamy but it can't be my everyday pen.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That's good that you like it. Too bad about the hand fatigue, though. The grip is one of those things that some people don't mind, and others can't stand. Personally, I've never had an uncomfortable writing session with it, but I can understand why some people don't like it.

Since you're thinking about getting another FP, welcome to the rabbit hole! :thumbup: Pretty soon, your funds will be flowing out of you bank account like a fountain. :tongue_sm

I do have a Lamy All Star, which is alright. The nib is not very flexible, which is unfortunately today's standard. For cursive writing I prefver a softer nib, which offers variable line width based on pressure. I may try a calligraphy nib on the All Star to make up for the lack in flexibility. I have asked my brother to look for my old school fountain pens and to send them if he finds them. There must be at least six old Pelikan and Geha fountain pens somewhere, because I never dumped them, but I bought a new one every couple years during my school years.

Top Bottom