What's new

Latest experiances with DE shaving

Well, If any of you remember me complaining I'm just not getting this DE shaving, I'm finally getting somewhere. After the last time a tore my face up badly with raw, rashy discomfort I decided I didn't care how close the shave was. I was only going to do 2 passes and say the hell with it!

My face was so tender from the damage I did but I still needed a shave as I had to go to work so I put the razor to my face and used such a light touch I figured I wasn't cutting anything but I went with it anyway. Lathered up again to the point the lather was 1/4" thick and went at it in the other direction. Such a light touch I figured I was just scrapping the lather off.

It wasn't a BBS shave but it got most everything off except my problem areas that I always have on my neck. "What is going on here" I said to myself? I've been told no pressure but I guess I just didn't understand what no pressure meant. I now have had four shaves without lots of discomfort. I'm wasn't cutting as smooth as I'd like but not killing my face. So today to pulled the Personna blade out after three shaves with it, It was still good for a few more I think as I wasn't feeling anything bad like pulling but I dropped a Feather in. Figured I'd go all out. I got the best shave I've gotten so far. Still the areas that I cant get BBS are still there but they was shorter stubble left there. I then tried to touch up just a bit in those spots and still didn't come clean but afterwards I put the Alum to my face and had very little stinging. I'm surprised that this is starting to go my way now.

So now after reading a bunch more posts about razors and trying to learn more about something I thought I knew about but didn't, I ordered a Muhle R41 open comb and a Merkur 39C long handle slant. I'll ether cut my throat and bleed to death on the bathroom floor or I'll get those troublesome areas smooth along with the rest of my face. I think I went overboard with this but I'm hoping as long as I go slow, Good lather and the lightest touch I can, It should come out ok in the end.

I was looking into the older Gellette adjustables or a Red Tip or something along those lines but what I find for sale just don't look very nice. And I'm afraid to buy on the BAY. You just don't know what people are selling, how they lie about what they are selling, and I just have a hard time with that. If someone here had a nice looking razor in those lines that they think would be great for me and would be willing to part with from there collection, I'd be interested if it don't cost me an arm and a leg. I feel folks here might not take advantage of a newbie. I see newbies saying great thing about people helping them out and I see it all the time here. This is the most friendliest forum I've ever seen!

So the saga continues. I'm getting a, As someone said, a DGS but I don't think I'll be happy till I don't feel any stubble left when I run my hand across in any direction. This is my goal. And I know with practice and the help from this group I'll get there.

Thanks for reading my ranting and experiences lately and hope all will come together sooner that later.

Jerry...

Keep it up! Not just your technique but your skin can also take time to get used to DE shaving. Sounds like it will just continue to improve for you! Good luck.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Excellent. You're only the 10,000th shaver to find out no pressure really means no pressure. Keep up the good work.

Finding out what "no pressure" means can be an epiphany. Congratulations on getting it sorted, Jerry. "No Pressure" will really come into it's own when you start using the R41. A word of advice, don't obsess about getting a BBS--that way madness lies. :laugh:

I just purchased a Maggard Razors MR5 Stainless Steel Handle. $Maggard-Razors-MR5-Handle-Only-Stainless-Steel-1-350x350.jpg

Now I need a cap (top) to go on it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what will be a good fit?

Does the top of a Merkur 34C come off, as in, can it be unscrewed. I was a little afraid to put to much torque on it to find out.

Does the top of a Merkur 34C come off, as in, can it be unscrewed. I was a little afraid to put to much torque on it to find out.

No. The 34c is a Two-Piece razor by design. You will want to pick up a 23c or one of the other Three-Piece razors to get the Merkur head.

I would recommend getting the Maggard V3 closed comb head for your MR5 handle.

Also, in the future you will want to start your own thread rather than hijack someone else's topic.

Nice update. Keep the faith. It takes 3-4 weeks to develop reliable, repeatable technique.

Some of us (*raises hand*) took a bit longer to develop a reliable, repeatable technique.

Also, I find that I need to pay attention to technique whenever I change blades or (especially) razors. The angle and amount of pressure required to get a good shave can differ between different types and brands of equipment.

I find that I can get a BBS, or _really_ close to one in three passes. However, I will almost assuredly have irritation if I do that ATG pass. Most days I do a two-pass shave and end up with a DFS verging towards a BBS. I save the three-pass shave for the weekends when I can take more time so as to better avoid irritation.

No. The 34c is a Two-Piece razor by design. You will want to pick up a 23c or one of the other Three-Piece razors to get the Merkur head.

I would recommend getting the Maggard V3 closed comb head for your MR5 handle.

Also, in the future you will want to start your own thread rather than hijack someone else's topic.
Sorry, my apologies for the hijack. I thought I was contributing as the thread was titled My latest experience with DE shaving.

Excellent report Jerry!

For me it was a combination of what you yourself have discovered (no pressure), plus the "grail marriage" of a good razor and a good blade. When married together and used with proper technique and knowledge of your beard pattern, you can get smooth flawless shaves every single time that leave you much more satisfied.

Personally, I'd work on getting a good shave modifying my technique, beard mapping, better prep, great later, pulling skin to better shave curvy areas, or finding the right blade for my razor before I'd go to an R41. Especially, if you're getting irritation now.

Faces vary so you'll have to experiment but I think there are some solid options out there.

Good luck.

B.O.T.O.C.
C.O.A.

All great info and thanks to all. I agree i need to work on the ability some more before i try to change razors. I just wanted a more agressive razor in my collection to try. Mostlikely not going to be grabbing the r41 for an everyday shave. Might also go the same route that dkeester stated. 2 passes during the week only and a third pass on weekends.
Im now noticing that my neck has very soft skin. Ive been using moisturizers to help out the skin. Wish the neck skin was stronger/tougher. I dont remember my skin being so soft before. Guess im getting old. Ha. Thanks again all. Ill post up in a couple more weeks of my progress. And if you are willing to part with a nice old razor that would be good for me let me know.
Jerry...

i'm old too with an old neck. i find that i spend a little more time there and stretching the skin a little with my passes going slowly, paying attention to the angle to avoid nicks. i do a three pass on my face, but more a 2 pass on my neck and maybe XTG again on the neck, again to avoid nicks. the main thing is to take your time and pay attention to what you're doing.

there's always a plan B

If you try for BBS, you get pain and sorrow.

If you try for a comfortable and consistent shave, you'll eventually surprise yourself at the results you're getting .

Excellent. You're only the 10,000th shaver to find out no pressure really means no pressure. Keep up the good work.

Finding out what "no pressure" means can be an epiphany. Congratulations on getting it sorted, Jerry. "No Pressure" will really come into it's own when you start using the R41. A word of advice, don't obsess about getting a BBS--that way madness lies. :laugh:

Nice update. Keep the faith. It takes 3-4 weeks to develop reliable, repeatable technique.

If you try for BBS, you get pain and sorrow.

If you try for a comfortable and consistent shave, you'll eventually surprise yourself at the results you're getting .

+1 or +2 or is it 3 now? I lost count.
Go figure when everyone here says no pressure, we mean no pressure.
Tilt your head as far to the left or right as you can, hold your razor, without a blade, by the end of the handle (not just under the head the other end), and let it swing down and lay on your cheek. That is the best way I've found to describe what no pressure is.

Congratulations and finally seeing the light, so to speak!
I'd work on my technique before I went and started changing things. Then only change one thing per shave so you can see what works and what doesn't. Be sure to give each change several tries, unless of course it is "tearing" your face up.

Well, If any of you remember me complaining I'm just not getting this DE shaving, I'm finally getting somewhere. After the last time a tore my face up badly with raw, rashy discomfort I decided I didn't care how close the shave was. I was only going to do 2 passes and say the hell with it!

My face was so tender from the damage I did but I still needed a shave as I had to go to work so I put the razor to my face and used such a light touch I figured I wasn't cutting anything but I went with it anyway. Lathered up again to the point the lather was 1/4" thick and went at it in the other direction. Such a light touch I figured I was just scrapping the lather off.

It wasn't a BBS shave but it got most everything off except my problem areas that I always have on my neck. "What is going on here" I said to myself? I've been told no pressure but I guess I just didn't understand what no pressure meant. I now have had four shaves without lots of discomfort. I'm wasn't cutting as smooth as I'd like but not killing my face. So today to pulled the Personna blade out after three shaves with it, It was still good for a few more I think as I wasn't feeling anything bad like pulling but I dropped a Feather in. Figured I'd go all out. I got the best shave I've gotten so far. Still the areas that I cant get BBS are still there but they was shorter stubble left there. I then tried to touch up just a bit in those spots and still didn't come clean but afterwards I put the Alum to my face and had very little stinging. I'm surprised that this is starting to go my way now.

So now after reading a bunch more posts about razors and trying to learn more about something I thought I knew about but didn't, I ordered a Muhle R41 open comb and a Merkur 39C long handle slant. I'll ether cut my throat and bleed to death on the bathroom floor or I'll get those troublesome areas smooth along with the rest of my face. I think I went overboard with this but I'm hoping as long as I go slow, Good lather and the lightest touch I can, It should come out ok in the end.

I was looking into the older Gellette adjustables or a Red Tip or something along those lines but what I find for sale just don't look very nice. And I'm afraid to buy on the BAY. You just don't know what people are selling, how they lie about what they are selling, and I just have a hard time with that. If someone here had a nice looking razor in those lines that they think would be great for me and would be willing to part with from there collection, I'd be interested if it don't cost me an arm and a leg. I feel folks here might not take advantage of a newbie. I see newbies saying great thing about people helping them out and I see it all the time here. This is the most friendliest forum I've ever seen!

So the saga continues. I'm getting a, As someone said, a DGS but I don't think I'll be happy till I don't feel any stubble left when I run my hand across in any direction. This is my goal. And I know with practice and the help from this group I'll get there.

Thanks for reading my ranting and experiences lately and hope all will come together sooner that later.

Jerry...
I can almost always get BBS or close with almost any razor/blade. It's the level of comfort that varies. I am new to this too.. lol
My best shaves are new Feathers in a Fat Boy dialed up to 7 or better and NO pressure.

Top Bottom