What's new

2nd razor recommendation: Vintage Gillette

Think I'll start with a NEW before moving on to the rest. Wanna get one to see if shaving with a vintage is my cup of tea.

I live in Singapore so the collection of vintage razors are a little hard to find.

Also, thank you all for the replies!

Have a really stupid question though. How do people usually list the NEW? "Gillette The NEW" or "Gillette NEW type"

Have a really stupid question though. How do people usually list the NEW? "Gillette The NEW" or "Gillette NEW type"

No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers sometimes, but that doesn't happen on this site.

Most of them won't even put NEW in the title because they have no idea what they're selling. I recommend getting familiar with the different models, then you can decide which version you want, and learn how to distinguish it from the others.

If you need help post here or feel free to PM me. Please keep in mind that links to live auctions aren't allowed. :001_smile

Last edited:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers sometimes, but that doesn't happen on this site.

Most of them won't even put NEW in the title because they have no idea what they're selling. I recommend getting familiar with the different models, then you can decide which version you want, and learn how to distinguish it from the others.

If you need help post here or feel free to PM me. Please keep in mind that links to live auctions aren't allowed. :001_smile

I think it's OK to post a picture, but no link. If the razor has the two bullets pointing down from the head it's an OLD or a New Improved. If there are no bullets but it's an open comb, there's a good chance it's a NEW, just ask. :thumbup1:

Another vote for a Slim Adjustable. Good weight and you can dial in the setting that works for your face and the blade you use.

I think it's OK to post a picture, but no link.

Pictures aren't allowed either. If they get reported the Mods will most likely delete the post. Keep in mind that another B&Ber may be interested in a particular auction, and drawing attention to it isn't cool. :tongue_sm

TOU said:
6. To prevent abusive advertisement, no member shall direct other members, either through direct hotlink or indirectly through comments or other means, to any live e-Bay auctions or other auction sites.

Do not post URLs, item numbers, or seller IDs or any similar information unless that e-Bay sale is strictly a "buy it now" sale with no option available to place a bid, or is contained within an e-Bay storefront.

Just found a thread which taught me how to differentiate the OLD from the New Improved and from the NEWs. Currently hunting for a NEW but I'm not sure what price is reasonable. Any guidance on this?

Just found a thread which taught me how to differentiate the OLD from the New Improved and from the NEWs. Currently hunting for a NEW but I'm not sure what price is reasonable. Any guidance on this?

Best advice is to search for completed listings on eBay, as we don't discuss prices here (it's against the TOU).

BTW, when using the search function (or on Google) if you type Old Type instead of ''OLD'' I'm sure you'll get more and better results.

We don't talk about prices here, you will have to judge the price versus condition versus what you're willing to pay.

Best advice is to search for completed listings on eBay, as we don't discuss prices here (it's against the TOU).

BTW, when using the search function (or on Google) if you type Old Type instead of ''OLD'' I'm sure you'll get more and better results.

Old Type Gillette safety razor

I am a little biased since I prefer any of my OLD types over any other razors :laugh:

Get an OLD type and shave with a piece of history - you know it makes sense!

If you get a NEW I would suggest looking for an RFB NEW as I think they shave more nicely than a standard long comb NEW (but as ever YMMV).

$16ovsc.jpg

I think it's OK to post a picture, but no link. If the razor has the two bullets pointing down from the head it's an OLD or a New Improved. If there are no bullets but it's an open comb, there's a good chance it's a NEW, just ask. :thumbup1:
I was about to ask the best/easyest way to tell. This helps me and hopefully the om starting the thread.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm personally partial to the Red Tip and 40's-style Superspeeds. But really, you'll need to pick up a few different models and try them out yourself. That's the fun part about going vintage.

I'll echo some of the others here,

If I were starting over, I'd go for a NEW or a Red Tip Super Speed.

I like the age and performance of the OLD and the manufacturing and history of the Super Speeds (40's and flares). But the Red Tip SS is maybe my best performer, and the NEW is super smooth!

If you come across a cheap Fatboy, get it! It's a great razor, but for 1/3 to 1/4 the price you can get the red tip or a NEW!

Top Bottom