What's new

Vintage razors to watch for

I'm still new to DE shaving, so I'm still learning. I was in an antique store a while back and saw some vintage razors but didn't know enough about them to know what's what.

What are some vintage razors to keep an eye out for in antique/thrift stores(or are there too many too list)? What kind of prices can one expect to see. Typically thrift stores will be dirt cheap since they typically don't know what they have, but antique stores will most likely be higher priced. Thanks.

R

romsitsa

There are way too many to list, it really depends on personal taste. Would you like to collect them, use the as a shaver or an investment? Would you like to collect single edge, double edge, both, only razors or sets, a specific manufaturer or various ones, there are endless possibilities.

My personal choice is Gillette ABC pocket editions, just beautiful.

Good hunting,

Adam

There are way too many to list, it really depends on personal taste. Would you like to collect them, use the as a shaver or an investment? Would you like to collect single edge, double edge, both, only razors or sets, a specific manufaturer or various ones, there are endless possibilities.

My personal choice is Gillette ABC pocket editions, just beautiful.

Good hunting,

Adam

I'm not looking for anything rare or exotic(not looking at investment grade). Looking at double edge. Mainly just good standard razors that would be good adds for a basic collection.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Whatever catches your eye. Can't go wrong with a vintage gillette at a great price.

Adam

If it's a Gillette, buy it!

If it looks interesting, buy it!

If you can get a whole box of razors cheap, buy it!

You're gonna have to get at least two different ones to point you in the direction of what works best for you. :001_smile

I'd say take what you can find. Some of the local thrify stores I used to visit now price their razors based on Ebay queries. Only real bargains anymore are garage sales and flea markets. Even Good Will has gone to selling the vintage razor on a consolidated net site.

I'm not looking for anything rare or exotic(not looking at investment grade). Looking at double edge. Mainly just good standard razors that would be good adds for a basic collection.

Start with SuperSpeeds. 40s Superspeed or Flare Tip. Then decide if you want to go older or newer. Many prefer the NEW over the Old Types if you want to go Open Comb (but they are heathens). Going newer gets you into the land of Adjustables, or there is always the humble Tech.

Or do what I did - go on ebay, time ending soonest, limit to whatever you want to spend, and see what's available

Heathens!!! C'mon Hag buddy, I love my OLDs and my other open comb razors! If I couldn't have an OC, I'd grow a beard, then I'd be a heathen! :laugh:

Badly worded
I meant to say that those who take the NEW over the OLD are the heathens. OC rocks. :punk:

Only those who want a shave just as efficient but much smoother will take the NEW over the Old Type. [emoji6]

I DO like my OTs. Enormously. It's been a great discovery for my shaves! Today I even used a SR with a Feather in... woohoo!

But NEWs are way smoooooother, I'm afraid.

EDIT: OP, just buy them all!

Badly worded
I meant to say that those who take the NEW over the OLD are the heathens. OC rocks. :punk:

:thumbup: You are forgiven brother Hag!!! :thumbup1:

Those who remain faithful to the OLD shall be rewarded with fantastic shaves!

Those who wander and become tempted by the NEW are heathens!!!

Yes, OC rocks!!! :punk:

Only those who want a shave just as efficient but much smoother will take the NEW over the Old Type. [emoji6]

Smoother than an OLD???!!! You speak in riddles! The OLD is the KING of smooth, efficient, and user friendly shaves!

I guess some fellas are just soft. $icon_no - Copy.gif

View attachment 669593

If it's a Gillette, buy it!

If it looks interesting, buy it!

If you can get a whole box of razors cheap, buy it!

You're gonna have to get at least two different ones to point you in the direction of what works best for you. :001_smile

For the OP, I'm gonna stick with what I originally said. ^^^^^

If its Gillette $10 or less buy it!! You'll figure it all out later :)

I would say if it's ANYTHING $15 or less, buy it. If it's more than that, you'll probably want to do a little research before deciding whether or not it's worth it for you.

If you come across any SEs, pay close attention to the blade stops. Make sure they aren't worn down before buying.

Top Bottom