What's new

First Whiskey Snob Experience

I've heard they exist, but had not actually met one until tonight.

My local liquor store was having a 'Bourbon Seminar', so of course I decided to go. They had the following:

Basil Hayden
Jim Beam Single Barrel
Maker's 46
Maker's Mark Cask Strength
Knob Creek Single Barrel

They were all fantastic whiskeys, and there was a representative there from Jim Beam to explain what all the whiskies were and how they came to be. Everything was going fine, and I was getting a history lesion in Bourbon while I drank! The issue arose when an employee of the store, a friend of mine who came with, and myself started describing the whiskies. I had just described one of them as having an 'apple-y' quality (don't remember which, but that's not important) and my friends nod in agreement, when the representative chimes in as follows...

"Hey man, you don't know what the (bad word) you're talking about. Never describe a drink using anything other than similar drinks to describe it. If it's bourbon, it tastes like a (similar bad word) bourbon not no (similar bad word) 'fruity apple'."

Seriously? Again, I've heard of people like this but had never actually met one. My perspective on the matter is that describing the drink against things people have had (mainly foodstuffs) is far more useful that saying "Tastes like bourbon. You know, this very specific bourbon you may or may not have had!" He's not wrong, as to other whiskey professionals it might be more useful as a descriptor. In my case, it would be like a quantum physicist speaking in his jargon to a Shakespearean actor. Sure the actor may pick up on some of what he says, but most of it would probably be meaningless nonsense.

At least I can take some comfort in that everybody around him (both customers and employees) looked just as surprised and frankly shocked at the unprofessional outburst. I think he got the hint he was alone is this viewpoint and kept to his scripted facts from there on out.

Cheers, and here's to an apple-y yet smokey bourbon! :thumbup:

I hope that your friend mentioned that ridiculous outburst to his employer. The "snob" is certainly doing his firm no favours and should be sacked for insulting customers in that way.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The perfect response:

"Oh, sorry. I meant to say that in this bourbon I detect some bourbon notes on the arrival, as well as some bourbon notes, and a hint of bourbon. Then it develops into a bourbon flavour, with undertones of bourbon and bourbon, with a hint of bourbon. On the finish I detect mostly bourbon notes, as well as bourbon and bourbon, and a hint of apple, as well as a whiff of pompous idiot, but you may have stuck your thumb in the glass, so that could explain it."

The perfect response:

"Oh, sorry. I meant to say that in this bourbon I detect some bourbon notes on the arrival, as well as some bourbon notes, and a hint of bourbon. Then it develops into a bourbon flavour, with undertones of bourbon and bourbon, with a hint of bourbon. On the finish I detect mostly bourbon notes, as well as bourbon and bourbon, and a hint of apple, as well as a whiff of pompous idiot, but you may have stuck your thumb in the glass, so that could explain it."

mmmm... Beefeater.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
[MENTION=2453]Doc4[/MENTION] that IS the perfect answer. My criteria for evaluating and rating any Bourbon or Single Malt is limited to: this one is smoother, that one is a little harsh, this other one is a bit sweeter, bolder, fuller flavored. In the end, I can really only say that I like one of them the most. Much like shaving, it all comes down to what you prefer. I very much like a touch of sweetness, but some friends don't like the sweet so much.

Great selection to taste. Wish I had been there!

Marty

I've heard they exist, but had not actually met one until tonight.

My local liquor store was having a 'Bourbon Seminar', so of course I decided to go. They had the following:

Basil Hayden
Jim Beam Single Barrel
Maker's 46
Maker's Mark Cask Strength
Knob Creek Single Barrel

They were all fantastic whiskeys, and there was a representative there from Jim Beam to explain what all the whiskies were and how they came to be. Everything was going fine, and I was getting a history lesion in Bourbon while I drank! The issue arose when an employee of the store, a friend of mine who came with, and myself started describing the whiskies. I had just described one of them as having an 'apple-y' quality (don't remember which, but that's not important) and my friends nod in agreement, when the representative chimes in as follows...

"Hey man, you don't know what the (bad word) you're talking about. Never describe a drink using anything other than similar drinks to describe it. If it's bourbon, it tastes like a (similar bad word) bourbon not no (similar bad word) 'fruity apple'."

Seriously? Again, I've heard of people like this but had never actually met one. My perspective on the matter is that describing the drink against things people have had (mainly foodstuffs) is far more useful that saying "Tastes like bourbon. You know, this very specific bourbon you may or may not have had!" He's not wrong, as to other whiskey professionals it might be more useful as a descriptor. In my case, it would be like a quantum physicist speaking in his jargon to a Shakespearean actor. Sure the actor may pick up on some of what he says, but most of it would probably be meaningless nonsense.

At least I can take some comfort in that everybody around him (both customers and employees) looked just as surprised and frankly shocked at the unprofessional outburst. I think he got the hint he was alone is this viewpoint and kept to his scripted facts from there on out.

Cheers, and here's to an apple-y yet smokey bourbon! :thumbup:

Whoa!! I'm a bit of a whiskey snob in that I like good whiskey. That guy wasn't a whiskey snob, he was just a garden-variety jackass.

The perfect response:

:lol::laugh:

The perfect response:

Excellent!

Although on the spur of the moment, some would be tempted to reply something like: "Hey, [bad word], up your [sometimes bad word] with your [bad word] bourbon glass!" But that would be getting down to his level...y'know, mud-wrestling with a pig etc.

I am a huge whisky snob so I have to stand up for us whisky snobs. The person of whom you speak is certainly not one of us. Here is a description of Basil Hayden DIRECTLY from their website:
A unique, singular small batch bourbon whiskey that was blessed with rich hints of peppermint, notes of pepper, slight citrus overtones, and a spicy, warming finish.

So we used the "food" descriptions citrus, peppermint and pepper. Whomever this guy was he was certainly not a whisky snob.

I apologize to post again but I must stand up for us whisky snobs (you are a whisky snob by the way, you just don't know it yet) this guy is something of which I cannot post here.

Makers 46 description:
Deep amber color; rich buttery cashew toffee, French toast, mocha and chocolate covered peach aromas; medium-full body; spicy, toasted grain, nut, pepper finish.

All I read there is food references, you describe alcohol with food references, that is a world wide standard. I describe whisky as Apple in some way at least once a week. You were spot on to label something as having an Apple aftertaste, that's the normal way we rate things.

You and I can sit down and sample a dozen whiskies together. I'll appreciate your honest professional reviews!

Last edited:
They walk among us, and they (surprisingly, considering...) reproduce. They are everywhere -- except of course here on B&B!
B&B is clear of snobs, except for the hone snobs, edge snobs, OLD vs NEW snobs, vintage vs modern snobs, won't pay under $150 for a razor snobs, won't pay over 10 bucks for a brush reverse snobs, blade snobs, anti-commercial AS snobs, if it were good enough for grandad it were good enough for me snobs, Williams snobs, anti-Williams snobs, people who have no sense of smell and think Arko smell like urinals snobs, couldn't possibly have more than one razor snobs, couldn't live without 30 or more razors snobs, one and done blade snobs, if you can't get 50 shaves out of one blade you aint trying snobs, BBS snobs, BBS unbeliever snobs, DE snobs, SE snobs, straight snobs and people who don't get haggises humour snobs...

The man sounds like an idiot, i've always found that Glenfiddich 12 has a hint of apple on the nose, so it's definitely not something that has to be described a certain way. In fact the vast majority of whisky tasters would describe different whiskies as you do by comparing with various foodstuffs, or sometimes other beverages due to different casks for aging (for example most Speyside Scotch whiskies have a tendency towards sherry flavours)

Top Bottom