What's new

First Whiskey Snob Experience

What a strange and unprofessional response by that representative. Seems like a totally spot on tasting note with bourbon. I have some Glenlivit 12(scotch) at home and always notice a fresh green apple smell/tasting note.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Spot on, except I don't get the humor part:001_rolle

B&B is clear of snobs, except for the hone snobs, edge snobs, OLD vs NEW snobs, vintage vs modern snobs, won't pay under $150 for a razor snobs, won't pay over 10 bucks for a brush reverse snobs, blade snobs, anti-commercial AS snobs, if it were good enough for grandad it were good enough for me snobs, Williams snobs, anti-Williams snobs, people who have no sense of smell and think Arko smell like urinals snobs, couldn't possibly have more than one razor snobs, couldn't live without 30 or more razors snobs, one and done blade snobs, if you can't get 50 shaves out of one blade you aint trying snobs, BBS snobs, BBS unbeliever snobs, DE snobs, SE snobs, straight snobs and people who don't get haggises humour snobs...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've heard they exist, but had not actually met one until tonight.

My local liquor store was having a 'Bourbon Seminar', so of course I decided to go. They had the following:

Basil Hayden
Jim Beam Single Barrel
Maker's 46
Maker's Mark Cask Strength
Knob Creek Single Barrel

They were all fantastic whiskeys, and there was a representative there from Jim Beam to explain what all the whiskies were and how they came to be. Everything was going fine, and I was getting a history lesion in Bourbon while I drank! The issue arose when an employee of the store, a friend of mine who came with, and myself started describing the whiskies. I had just described one of them as having an 'apple-y' quality (don't remember which, but that's not important) and my friends nod in agreement, when the representative chimes in as follows...

"Hey man, you don't know what the (bad word) you're talking about. Never describe a drink using anything other than similar drinks to describe it. If it's bourbon, it tastes like a (similar bad word) bourbon not no (similar bad word) 'fruity apple'."

Seriously? Again, I've heard of people like this but had never actually met one. My perspective on the matter is that describing the drink against things people have had (mainly foodstuffs) is far more useful that saying "Tastes like bourbon. You know, this very specific bourbon you may or may not have had!" He's not wrong, as to other whiskey professionals it might be more useful as a descriptor. In my case, it would be like a quantum physicist speaking in his jargon to a Shakespearean actor. Sure the actor may pick up on some of what he says, but most of it would probably be meaningless nonsense.

At least I can take some comfort in that everybody around him (both customers and employees) looked just as surprised and frankly shocked at the unprofessional outburst. I think he got the hint he was alone is this viewpoint and kept to his scripted facts from there on out.

Cheers, and here's to an apple-y yet smokey bourbon! :thumbup:

Well, personally, I think you kind of provided your own answer.

there was a representative there from Jim Beam

Sad part is that the 'expert' is not correct IMO. Everyone's sense of taste and smell is a bit different.

Many critics use food and spice terms to describe alcoholic beverages.

I've found that "representatives" often know very little about what they are showing at a tasting. I think it's because they are often representatives of the distributor, not the distillery/winery/etc.

However, in this Jim Beam representative's case, they rep such a huge range of brands (being that they are actually Beam-Suntory) that one rep can't possibly be an expert in all. Beam Suntory owns brands as wide ranging as Jim Beam/Makers Mark, Bowmore Scotch, Effen Vodka and Sauza Tequila. Not to mention Courvoisier, Cruzan and even "Skinny Girl" pre-mixed cocktails.
Here's a full list, if you're interested.

And I agree that the rep's response was totally out-of-line, and he should have been called on it.

B&B is clear of snobs, except for the hone snobs, edge snobs, OLD vs NEW snobs, vintage vs modern snobs, won't pay under $150 for a razor snobs, won't pay over 10 bucks for a brush reverse snobs, blade snobs, anti-commercial AS snobs, if it were good enough for grandad it were good enough for me snobs, Williams snobs, anti-Williams snobs, people who have no sense of smell and think Arko smell like urinals snobs, couldn't possibly have more than one razor snobs, couldn't live without 30 or more razors snobs, one and done blade snobs, if you can't get 50 shaves out of one blade you aint trying snobs, BBS snobs, BBS unbeliever snobs, DE snobs, SE snobs, straight snobs and people who don't get haggises humour snobs...
Well, yes...there are those snobs. But the "horse's rear" factor is pretty scarce hereabouts.

I was getting a history lesion in Bourbon while I drank!

Get well soon!

But seriously...

That's a poor experience and shouldn't have happened. That's not what I'd call a Whiskey snob. I'll keep my sentiments reserved though... Hopefully this clown doesn't turn you off from attending another!

Last edited:
I've found that "representatives" often know very little about what they are showing at a tasting. I think it's because they are often representatives of the distributor, not the distillery/winery/etc.
This is very true, especially when you're talking about tastings in a store or open to the public. I waited tables for a fine dining restaurant for a few years in college and when we did wine tastings, we were usually dealing with leadership from the distributor and/or a rep from the winery (rarely did sponsored spirit tastings). They put their A team out there for industry, but the guys lower on the totem pole for the public tastings. It's mostly about return on efforts, but that doesn't excuse a full fledged jackass representing the company.

I can pardon someone when they don't know the details about the product they're tasting, because they often aren't allowed to taste it prior to the event (huge foul in my book, but fault lies with the boss there). I can't excuse a know-it-all that shoots down someone from describing that they taste in a drink.

I don't care if you're drinking $300/bottle wine, $15/bottle wine, 30 year scotch or medium-tier bourbon...people taste what they taste. The organics coming out of the drink play on our memories and evoke all kinds of things. I did an Irish whiskey tasting with a few friends and absolutely ruined a $40 bottle for all of us. We were blind tasting 4-5 different whiskeys and one smelled EXACTLY like Lays Sour Cream and Onion chips. It even tasted a little like it. Of course there was the normal whiskey smell, but it was followed immediately with the chip smell. They didn't catch it and even ranked it highly until I mentioned it. I got laughed at for a few minutes, until one by one, they found it.

There's not text book for tastings. Things are good or bad to the person, and there are all kinds of hidden attributes in any drink. There is no room to be pretentious in food and beverage. If that leaks in, A LOT of good stuff is passed up.

The man sounds like an idiot, i've always found that Glenfiddich 12 has a hint of apple on the nose, so it's definitely not something that has to be described a certain way. In fact the vast majority of whisky tasters would describe different whiskies as you do by comparing with various foodstuffs, or sometimes other beverages due to different casks for aging (for example most Speyside Scotch whiskies have a tendency towards sherry flavours)

Completely agree, I find it a bit more like pear, but there's definitely an apple-type note in Glenfiddich, in fact they even mention that at the distillery if you do the tasting.

Pompous horse's rear. They appear sometimes at events like this.

people sometimes pull bogus maneuvers when its something they really care about.
if i took too a silver tip with a pair of sissors in the name of trimming it then have a feeling a few people of this forum would flip major bikkies.

How true!

Sorry to hear that. I have had the pleasure of going to a few private tastings. Very unprofessional remarks by the rep.

Not entirely bourbon related but relates to your story. I started describing beer in similar ways such as "tastes like smarties and gun powder" Everyone kind of looked at me weird until a friend of mine (who is a beer snob) took another sip and said "You know, I think you're right. I'm definitely getting some gun powder on the back end"

Some people take life too seriously.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not entirely bourbon related but relates to your story. I started describing beer in similar ways such as "tastes like smarties and gun powder" Everyone kind of looked at me weird until a friend of mine (who is a beer snob) took another sip and said "You know, I think you're right. I'm definitely getting some gun powder on the back end"

Some people take life too seriously.

When you tasted the Smarties, did you taste the red ones last?

Top Bottom