What's new

Collecting salt

Ok, so you chaps around here are used to collecting razors, soaps, creams, ink for fountain pens and so on. But does anyone else here collect nice salts? Salt as in the stuff you put on celery so it tastes like something.

I only have a small collection as gourmet type salts (like decent anything) are tricky to find down here. Maldon and Maldon smoked, Murray river and Marlborough Flakey (actually a local one). Would really like to find some of the Turkish black stuff one day.

Anyone else have any suggestions for others?

Simon

I currently have 4 different salts that I use on a regular basis. The pink Himalayan stuff that you have to grate is pretty phenomenal, as are some of the hand raked French (fluer de sal) and Hawaiian sea salts.

That being said, I would never pay the outrageous prices that most of these salts cost (well upwards of $20/lb). They taste great, but I usually get them for free. A good friend of mine works at a natural grocery store in the area, and gets free samples from the vendors all the time. Luckily for me (and sadly for him) he has a heart condition, and can't use them. So he'll usually stockpile them for me until I can pick them up:biggrin:

I have some French sea salt; it's enough to make me never want to use "table salt" again, but I've never sought out other varieties of salt.

Damn, now you've got me thinking!

The French Fleur de Sel (Camargue) is quite nice, but pricey. I'm also partial to Lima sea salt, which is from Portugal. Usually available in health food stores, and much cheaper. I also like to use La Baleine coarse crystals on salads, along with a nice unfiltered olive oil.

as if I don't already have enough AD... now salts.... must resist but I think this might not work.... off to the market I go... thanks a lot really THANKS A LOT!:biggrin:

as if I don't already have enough AD... now salts.... must resist but I think this might not work.... off to the market I go... thanks a lot really THANKS A LOT!:biggrin:

Nope, too late. We're all SAD now!

The really expensive ones probably aren't available in NZ. Too little demand I would think so I should be safe from those!

Simon

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've had some nice fleur de sel from Brittany and some atrocious red and black frow Hawaii.

I use fleur de sel or maldon for most applications - in particular, dressings, marinades and table use.

I'm also a big fan of coarse-grained kosher salt - which has the added benefit of being cheap as chips - especially when seasoning stocks/soups/stews/etc.

Ok, for those if us who simply use the store brand iodized salt, what should we look for in a salt?

Here's some infor on salts/fleur de sel generally:

http://http://itotd.com/articles/384/fleur-de-sel/

http://www.slate.com/id/2117243

The difference in flavour and texture comes from (1) differences in source (less expensive salts come from inland deposits vs. sea salt, processing, and grain size and (2) trace minerals.

In addition there are smoked or flavoured salts, but I'll leave those aside.

In terms of what you should look for, its about what you like and whether you can taste the difference - if you can't then stick to the cheap stuff.

Personally, I notice a difference between "regular" salt, kosher salt and the expensive stuff most when making dressings, dips, marinades or table seasoning (including sprinkling some salt onto tomatoes/cukes, etc.) - that's where the nuances of a "good" salt can enhance the flavour in a way that's most noticeable.

I also like different textures - I really like the large/coarse-grained salts for sprinkling over raw veggies or table seasoning.

Its all a matter of personal preference - if you're not inclined to shell out for the expensive salts, its still worth trying a small box of kosher salt or grocery store sea salt in a couple of grain sizes just for fun - and it will only cost you a couple of bucks to boot.

I'm also a big fan of coarse-grained kosher salt - which has the added benefit of being cheap as chips - especially when seasoning stocks/soups/stews/etc.
We keep a small bowl of kosher salt next to the stove. Our most used "seasoning."

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

In addition to being dirt cheap, kosher salt has the added benefit of being just about the perfect size for handling with your fingers, even when they're wet.

In addition to being dirt cheap, kosher salt has the added benefit of being just about the perfect size for handling with your fingers, even when they're wet.

Amen...its the workhorse in the Kitchen. I also have grey salt and fleur de sel to use for salads, veggies and table use.

Amen...its the workhorse in the Kitchen. I also have grey salt and fleur de sel to use for salads, veggies and table use.

+2 on the Kosher salt. My friends and relatives have each scoffed at the idea that size/texture/etc. related to salt makes any difference, but after spending the weekend or week with us and me cooking, they have all come around. I may personally be fueling the entire Kosher salt sales of Tuscaloosa, AL.

My local health food store has spices available in bulk, including about 15-20 varieties of salt. A great and cheap way to get a small amount of each (or whichever ones interest you) for experimentation.

I received a 'Salt's of the World' sampler as a gift. It's a great sampler, albeit a little pricy.

proxy.php

I was into salts a few years back. I love the alder smoked salt and the black flakes, not sure where they originate Hawaii possibly. I just love the coarse pretzel salt though.

http://worldspice.com/home/home.shtml

That reminds me I need to get an order together soon for BBQ season, the rubs this place carries are superb! The first time I placed an order I couldn't believe they just ship it with an invoice and trust that people pay them, very cool way to do business.

The only salt I've wanted to collect are large Pink Himalayan slabs to use as plates. The rest of them I find more enjoyable in mah bellah!

Top Bottom