What's new

Water main break in the neighborhood & a dry shave today

Too bad, Kent. I'm glad that we don't have any water problems like that (Knock on wood). Did you use any other type of lubrication at all? Maybe WD40? :laugh:

Hope it gets fixed soon. When I was living in St. Petersburg FL we had frequent water outages. One time the water was turned off just as I got my face lathered. Another time it happened before I could shave. I wasn't as brave as you and I postponed my shave until I got to the gym.

I've had occasional water outages here ... I just skip shaving that day, although if push came to shove, I suppose I could slum it and use aerosol goop.

I keep several bottles of distilled water in the refrigerator, so cooking and making coffee was not a problem.

For me, the worst part of a water outage is not being able to flush the toilet.

Well it doesn't happen that often to me but after 3 hours I said I have to do this!! I did use some Nivia sensitive post shave balm, all I could find. And put shea butter lotion on after the fact.

I believe white whiskers might be tougher than what you originally come with :) Anyone have any tried and true methods in case I ever have to try this again?

I always have distilled water on hand (mainly for my humidor). It's nice in a pinch if the water supply goes kaput. Heat it up and shave on!

Unfortunately the water being switched off for maintenance happens at random, but luckily only for a couple of hours and only once in a blue moon.
Luckily it's never clashed with shaving, but if it did, the problem would be easily solved..........
Due to the tap water in Mallorca, Spain being hard and full of chemicals, including 4x the recommended levels of Chlorine (added to control the E-coli bugs) it tastes nasty and spoils your coffee if you use it in the kettle, so we always keep a few 6 litre bottles of water in the kitchen
We've got 6x 6 litre plastic bottles on the balcony, 4 of them are to weigh down the clothes drying racks + 2x spares - they're like liquid gold for flushing the toilet, although the old rhyme "If it's yellow, let it mellow" rings true

Get yourself a reverse osmosis system, that way when it goes out you always have a few gallons on hand in the tank.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Similar circumstances had me shaving with beer once. Oh, and for a cart, spit will do in a pinch. Drink the beer to get your spit levels up, for that. For drinking, beer works even better than water. If you have beer, you don't really need coffee IMHO. Toilet flushing? That could use up a lot of beer, but walk in the woods usually does the trick. Seems to work just fine for bears, right? Beer is great for boiling hot dogs or steaming boudin. So instead of wasting money on bottled water, stock up on delicious, refreshing, versatile beer. It's the right thing to do.

Similar circumstances had me shaving with beer once. Oh, and for a cart, spit will do in a pinch. Drink the beer to get your spit levels up, for that. For drinking, beer works even better than water. If you have beer, you don't really need coffee IMHO. Toilet flushing? That could use up a lot of beer, but walk in the woods usually does the trick. Seems to work just fine for bears, right? Beer is great for boiling hot dogs or steaming boudin. So instead of wasting money on bottled water, stock up on delicious, refreshing, versatile beer. It's the right thing to do.
:lol:

Having some water on hand in storage is what I will do. I hope it is a one time thing [MENTION=4421]Alex[/MENTION] but if I had to do it again, yes I would.

Having some water on hand in storage is what I will do. I hope it is a one time thing [MENTION=4421]Alex[/MENTION] but if I had to do it again, yes I would. The beer is a good idea Slash. Who'd a thunk it? Just got back from NOLA and as always really enjoyed your city!!!

similar circumstances had me shaving with beer once. Oh, and for a cart, spit will do in a pinch. Drink the beer to get your spit levels up, for that. For drinking, beer works even better than water. If you have beer, you don't really need coffee imho. Toilet flushing? That could use up a lot of beer, but walk in the woods usually does the trick. Seems to work just fine for bears, right? Beer is great for boiling hot dogs or steaming boudin. So instead of wasting money on bottled water, stock up on delicious, refreshing, versatile beer. It's the right thing to do.

all hail the ale

I'm assuming that your water is back on by now, two days later ...

But if its not back on yet, when service is finally restored ... don't use the water right away.

Open all the faucets in the house, including the showers and bathtubs, and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes. Flush each toilet several times while the faucets are open. You want to get all the air bubbles out of the pipes before the stream runs solid. And the water that comes out first will be brown and cloudy, so you want to keep the flow going until the water runs clear and solid.

When you turn the faucets off, start on the lowest floor and proceed upwards through the house. This will ensure that no more air bubbles get trapped in your pipes.

Top Bottom