What's new

German WWII

My dad and I got into a conversation about shaving. I told him I've been using DE razors for years and not only was he surprised that the blades are still manufactured but also that modern DE are still produced! I also told him there's a small come back into traditional shaving and there are a few smaller manufacturers making high-end steel razors. He was really surprised! My dad shaved for many years with electric razors then he switched to cartages. He did not believed me when I told him DE are far superior...oh well none of my friends do so either!

He want into his bathroom and brought me this razor. My granddad stole the razor from a dead German soldier in Italy during WWII. He exclusively shaved with it for over 50 years until his death. My dad used it once and did not care for it.

The razor was mechanically sound but all the original nickel plating was gone but a small spot on the head. It had tarnish and green oxidization all over. I had it re-plated in 24K gold. It's a mind and very smooth shaver for an open comb, actually the mildest open comb I own. It provides a truly great shave.

I not sure of the making; it has a 'HP' engraving on the handle.

Attachments

• $DSCN0679.jpg
    $DSCN0679.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 208
  • $DSCN0680.jpg
    $DSCN0680.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 206
  • $DSCN0681.jpg
    $DSCN0681.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 207
Very cool!

looks like a ball end old type, but not sure what the HP would be. Looks like a nice shaver and has some personal history to connect it!

Very cool. There seems a lot of these Old Type / Pocket Edition clones about in Europe, but seldom this nice - attack of the clones.

Last edited:
My dad and I got into a conversation about shaving. I told him I've been using DE razors for years and not only was he surprised that the blades are still manufactured but also that modern DE are still produced! I also told him there's a small come back into traditional shaving and there are a few smaller manufacturers making high-end steel razors. He was really surprised! My dad shaved for many years with electric razors then he switched to cartages. He did not believed me when I told him DE are far superior...oh well none of my friends do so either!

He want into his bathroom and brought me this razor. My granddad stole the razor from a dead German soldier in Italy during WWII. He exclusively shaved with it for over 50 years until his death. My dad used it once and did not care for it.

The razor was mechanically sound but all the original nickel plating was gone but a small spot on the head. It had tarnish and green oxidization all over. I had it re-plated in 24K gold. It's a mind and very smooth shaver for an open comb, actually the mildest open comb I own. It provides a truly great shave.

I not sure of the making; it has a 'HP' engraving on the handle.

German made OLD clone, most are very good razors.

Who plated it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I wouldn't say your grandfather stole it, it was obviously not being used at the time he acquired it. :001_smile

A very cool razor indeed! That's a beauty and a special keepsake from your grandfather who obviously loved it if he used it for 50 years.

Many a soldier would consider that spoils of war or a war trophy. A fairly common practice during war times, especially WWII, according to my grandfather who served there. Very nice razor and interesting history. Congrats.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I agree. Spoils of War. Most guys brought home Lugers or bayonets or similar stuff. A razor? Cool. Since the German fellow was deceased, I say your grandfather inherited it.

Now that is one cool razor and an even better story. That there qualifies as a heirloom razor. Congrats. Enjoy your adventure.

Top Bottom