What's new

What was your very first aftershave/cologne you aquired?

My very first aftershave given to me at Christmas time in the mid 70's as a kid was English leather in a package with a soap-on-a-rope. My parents gave it to me. Seems like every Christmas subsequently after that, I kept getting more English Leather. I never really used them either.

Then the second "brand" I got from my grandparents about a year later was an Avon classic brand... "Wild Country" in an old glass classic car bottle of some sort. I think I had those aftershaves until I moved out of the house at age 20. Man do I wish I still had those originals.

Oh yeah.... Did I mention that they were glass bottles?

When I was 13 I got my very 1st bottle of Brut 33 Splash-on as a Xmas present - it was empty before I went back to school in early January !!
Every Birthday and Xmas I got Brut 33 Splash-on, spray-on deodorant, shampoo and talc -
I loved the stuff, I remember one night after getting out of the bath, my Dad said the smell nearly knocked him out when I opened the living room door, he also said that he could smell it before I got downstairs :lol:

The next day in school, one of my classmates said "Has someone here got BO"? (and then as an afterthought) "Or Brut"? - After he'd worked out that it was me he said "You must have washed your shirt in it" :lol:

Those were the days !!

Last edited:
The Brut(at 14), which I applied in excess(A half cup at a shot is not to much, right).

Since I became a real boy, pun, I think my first real one was the Aqua Velva, not good for me. Then I went with the Aqua Velva Musk, Love it!! And then some Old Spice, and Refresh, plus some Gillette. And a bunch more since...

My very first after shave was a no-name set of AS and cologne in large square glass bottles with dice numbers on them. It was a birthday present from an uncle on my 13th birthday. I never really used that stuff and no longer have it. My first after shave that saw use was Old Spice (Shulton) in a large white glass bottle which I still have.

It's a bit of a blur, but it was either English Leather gift set from my parents, or the Old Spice Lime from my grandfather. Can't remember exactly which came first...
I really liked that Old Spice Lime!

I had an aunt and uncle who gave all the males in the family Old Spice. Every year for as long as I could remember the package consisted of aftershave, cologne, and bath soap. I got mine when I started shaving at the age of 14.

my first was a Grey Flannel set with a/s and cologne. I didnt even shave yet lol(I was 11)

Today, I use GF the most. It dries down really close and wears mild on me

Probably Brut. That was what dad had in the house. Actually I think that was a cologne. Either way...

Brut and Wild Root hair tonic...wasn't much more needed in the early 70's apparently. Maybe a nice "unbreakable" pocket comb...

A Bottle of Old Spice for my 13th birthday...and i thought i was a proper man,you could smell me from the end of the street!:thumbup:

Aqua Velva.

When I was a kid, I always thought that the reason a man shaved was to smell good. As a kid I was "meh" on the English Leather but LOVE IT now. I liked Brut, and loved Old Spice. But when I was about 13 or 14 and got tired of hearing my dad call me "peach fuzz", I said "then help me do something about it!" Lol, my MOTHER was the one that took me to the store and said get what ya need. I didn't know what to get so I defaulted and got what my dad had, sorta. I got the old spice mug, a puck of Colgate, a Gillette Trac II razor, a no name brush, and a bottle of Aqua Velva. I got home and shaved, got lather all over the place. Once I got the hang of it, I was fine. It's funny because if I was going to hang out with friends and I knew there would be girls around, I would always shave first. Yep. Those were the days!

Last edited:
First I got before I even started to shave was Avon cologne that came in a decanter shaped like a pepperbox pistol. I have absolutely no remembrance of what the scent would have been. First aftershave I used would have been Aqua Velva.

Gucci Nobile was the first fragrance of any sort that I purchased for myself.
First aftershave was Pinaud Clubman.

For me it was the same thing and same era (1970's) as the OP... English Leather. Later it was Brut and Jovan Musk.

Top Bottom