What's new

Noob from Australia

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the world of DE shaving. In fact, I'm so new I still don't have a DE razor yet! :blush: (Not to worry, I am eagerly awaiting an Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley Chrome razor from Shaverhut! :thumbup:)

For most of my life I have used cartridge razors and either cans of shaving foam or just plain Dove bar soap on my face. Late last year I purchased a cheap (and nasty) "shaving kit" which included a (synthetic) brush, stand, bowl and soap for about $7 and was intrigued by using the brush. Of course being such a cheap set the quality of the brush and soap was not that great and I was continually disappointed at the lather, plus the brush felt too scratchy on my face. I started hitting the internet (mostly YouTube) for advice on how to create a lather but never could replicate any of the techniques with this set.

Where I live the options for wet shaving gear are very limited, but a local supermarket started stocking Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream which I decided to try and it was much better than the cheap and nasty puck of soap I had. Then one day the best thing happened - the knot fell out of my brush so I was forced to buy a new one! Searching through every supermarket, pharmacy and other related stores in town I could only find one (very cheap!) brush which kept shedding hairs. Each time I shaved the danged thing would drop 15-20 hairs and while it was less scratchy than the first brush I used, it was still far from ideal.

Time to bite the bullet! I jumped onto eBay and searched for brushes. I had watched a lot of shaving videos on YouTube, especially Nick Shaves, and figured the Omega brushes were a good, inexpensive way to start. I ordered a 10065 (which came with a tube of Omega shaving cream - bonus!) from Shaverhut and the difference in experience was amazing! I actually enjoy shaving now and I get really good results with the Omega 10065 and both the Nivea and Omega creams.

The next step in my shaving evolution is to start using a DE razor and when I checked Shaverhut on the weekend I saw they had the Edwin Jagger DE89 on sale (normally $59, now only $39 - score! :thumbup:) so I ordered the DE89, a sampler pack of blades and a styptic pencil, all of which I am now eagerly waiting to arrive! :w00t:

--
arb 8^)

Welcome to Badger and Blade.

Australia is a big place... don't be afraid to tell us where you are really from!

Good on ya mate. The EJ is a good razor that you should enjoy. I still love mine. This is a great place to learn about DE shaving so if you have any questions fire away and don't forget to look through the topics in the wiki there is heaps to learn there too.

Welcome to Badger and Blade.

Australia is a big place... don't be afraid to tell us where you are really from!
True, it is a big place. :001_tongu I'm from a the Latrobe Valley area, which is about 100 miles east Melbourne, right in the middle of the coal mines and power stations. :001_cool:

True, it is a big place. :001_tongu I'm from a the Latrobe Valley area, which is about 100 miles east Melbourne, right in the middle of the coal mines and power stations. :001_cool:

I know it well, thanks.

If you are to put some kind of location identifier in your Profile (which appears top right when you post), it will allow other members to assist you more accurately when you have questions. Which football team do you support?

[MENTION=111000]justarb[/MENTION]

It sounds like you are well on your war to a good start. Now wait until you decide you want this...then that...then something else...it doesn't stop, believe me. We are glad you stopped by and I personally want to welcome you to Badger & Blade!

You will be interested to know that we have a sub forum specifically for you Aussies and the Kiwis. You can find it here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/158-Great-Southern-Land-(Australia-NZ)

Also, if you want a chance to win a blade sampler pack, head on over to this thread and just say that you are in: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...er-for-your-chance-to-win!-June-25th-July-2nd

Again, Welcome to B&B!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to the club! Looks like you are well on your way to some great shaves.

Once you get that DE, the biggest thing to remember (I'm new as well and still have to remind myself) is NO PRESSURE!!!

There is a great group of poeple on this site, so don't hessitat to ask questions and post your progress.

Matt

Welcome to B&B. While you are waiting for your gear to arrive it would be a good time to review the wealth of material on B&B. A good starting point is here. Also, take a look at the wiki and stickies.

And as always, if you have any questions, just ask. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom